Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

How are the Holiday Rambler Endeavors?

Looking at this one locally. 95 K miles. 1999, very good overall condition, newer tires. Without much dickering I have them at 36,800. Pretty much a rookie at the RV game so any input is greatly appreciated. Also, any particulars i should be quizing them about? Thanks in advance!

Cummins Diesel
6-Speed Allison Transmission
7.5 Kilowatt Diesel Generator
Full Air Brakes
Ceramic tile in kitchen and bathroom
Washer and Dryer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #2

Why don't you go to NADA RV guide to get an expert evaluation on your dream RV.
Can't hurt to get another opinion about the value of the RV.

ChiefW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

I bought ours because I like the way they're built (materials used, construction methods). Ours has a few less miles, a Cat engine, had fairly complete documentation, and was maintained by someone nearly as anal as I am about that kind of thing (I'm an ex service manager/20 years). It's pretty nice considering it's age, and that's close to what we paid for ours late last summer. We love it. Bucks spent for bang received, it seems to hold it's own fairly well.

You might want to keep one thing in mind when doing your bartering. Financing a coach of this age can be very difficult for many. That keeps the number of qualified people interested in a coach like this down to darn few from a seller's perspective? You can use that to your advantage now, but if you decide you don't like this coach further on down the road - you can safely bet any buyers will be using it on you as well....

Have the chassis checked out by somebody that knows diesels and their related systems - not an RV dealer! I looked at one of these prior to buying ours and the oil filter was actually rusty, really rusty - indicating it had been a while since it was changed? Cost me 200 bucks to find that - but not finding it might have easily cost me MUCH more. I would ask whoever is doing the inspection to check out the cab air systems and the radiator and CAC/intercooler closely. Best of luck on your decision!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As already mentioned have the mechanicals checked by someone that is qualified. A few dollars spent now can save a whole lot in the future. Check the tire code dates, take a look at the roof as well. Make sure other onboard items work, A/C, HW heater etc. Go to NADA put in the info on this particular coach less the mileage (not needed for a diesel) and see what it comes up with. Good luck and hope it all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

I owned an Endeavor gasser for almost 9 years and another HR Imperial before that. HRs are very well built motorhomes (you should see how the roof is framed). I also liked the one-piece aluminum roof, it never gave me a moments problem. One thing I DID have happen is the strip midway around the unit right above the basement doors is pop-riveted to the floor channel. Some of my rivets started popping loose and I had to learn how to repair that problem. Not a biggie, but it did cause the aluminum on the side to get loose near the bottom and if not dealt with would no doubt lead to bigger problems.

I agree with what the other writer posted about the age and financing. It is hard to finance an RV that old, so if you're a cash buyer, you do have a big advantage. I'd make sure to bank a few thousand dollars for repairs as it's reaching the age where you will have stuff fail. By stuff, I'm talking thermostats (had to replace all of mine), possible refrigerator, and other little things.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

I have a 1999 Endeavor gasser and enjoy it very much. The ceramic floor has some issues but the previous owner didn't exactly take as good care of the rig as was stated.

I think the asking price is close to NADA but the miles are a bit high for the year. Just my opinion, still a nice rig.
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

Thanks for taking the time to reply gentlemen. Some valid points to consider, especially the date codes and possible financing issues during resale. I'll see how it goes. Don't be surprised if I hit you guys up about some differant rigs. Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
We bought a 1998 Imperial last Nov. Knew it needed some things taken care of and got it for a nice price.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kben39 View Post
We bought a 1998 Imperial last Nov. Knew it needed some things taken care of and got it for a nice price.
That is an awesome rig indeed.
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

My 2000 has been a great motorhome, and is well built.

Some of the 99-2001 quiet diesel gensets were prone to throwing the magnets, and repair costs $3500 to 4300 (mine was on the top end).

Check around the windshield area for leaks (also drip stains down the windshield pillars).

Two piece aluminum roof is mated on top of the front cap, so keeping the caulk up to date there is critical and prone to flexing slightly on the outer edges where it curves down to the side.

Except for the bad luck I had on the genset, the rest is just normal maintenance.

If you get the coach, weigh each wheel position. That model will be significantly heavier on the left front tire and the tire capacity/air pressure should be adjusted accordingly.

Fred
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

I own a sister coach to that one. A few items to check, are are there good maintenance records (when were the filters changed, oil changed, anti-freeze both engine and generator, Air Brake filter, fuel filters). Does the Sharp microwave run for more than 59 seconds? Have all of the recalls been completed on the Norcold refer? Have there been any water leaks, and how long ago were they fixed? How old are the Chassis and Coach batteries? The AC units may also have Heat Pumps, do they work in both modes? Does the HWH leveling system work properly?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #12

I love my 2001 diesel Endeavor. We have had very good luck with it. The interior creeks a bit when turning or rough road , due to the way it is constructed and 8 airbags . But it's not the top line RV. Just top line drive train.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

Thanks for the detailed responses, particularly the last three. Great details. Ill see if it checks out?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just an idea for future resale. I was able to finance my 2000 I bought recently through a credit union. They are a bit more relaxed about that. So you could direct any future possible buyers to a credit union for financing.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
RV2day is offline   Reply With Quote