RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

How are your diesel pusher tanks arranged?

I have an early 2000s freightliner chassis diesel pusher. I want to upgrade my tanks. They are organized as shown in the attached image.

My problem is that the waste tanks cannot hold all the water from the fresh, and I would have to have the same black as gray to come close. They wasted a lot of space above the tanks between the frame rails. The other annoyance is that they placed the tank sensors evenly up the sides of the waste tanks, thus the idiot lights for the waste tanks quickly report full even though it takes a while to fill the last 1/2 tank.

I would think that this could have been built with the 3 tanks in the 3 different spaces 2 on the sides of the frame rails and one in the middle. The drawback would be that when the tank is full, there is 800 pounds on the passenger side, and when empty there is 800 pounds on the other side.

I am hoping to find others that have the same chassis and tank bay, but different brand with a better arrangement. Mine is a 2004 gulf stream crescendo, so no need for any gulfstream crescendo owners commenting, unless they have significantly bigger tanks. I am hoping to find replacement tanks for other brands that fit the same space and work better.

How are your tanks arranged?

Thanks,

jt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks.png
Views:	13
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	251707  

johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #2

Unless you have a great skill set I wouldn't attempt this... I added a second fresh water tank to a 5th wheel and I can fab and weld... it was a task to get the added fresh water tank into place and plumbed in.... I can't imagine getting this done on a freightliner chassis....

I will add, that I was able to find a used, good fresh water tank for $35 for my project, all the new tanks were in the $250 range.... I would suggest a search to first find the tanks.... BTW there is a company on I-15 north of Salt Lake along the freeway that manufactures tanks.... close to the exit to go to Golden Spike...

I would not today take this task on.... but 15 years ago I would look at it and it would be a piece of cake....

Best of luck...

Old 06-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

I think you’d have to consider all the heavy additions to the chassis, not just the water. The manufacturer likely laid out the tank location while considering where the propane tank, generator, battery bank, and fuel tank, slides, etc. would be placed. In theory, the 800# of liquid will be relatively stable, unless all tanks are empty.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

Don’t forget about the consequences of raising the center of gravity into that “wasted space”.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #5

Can anyone tell me about a better tank setup in a similar RV?

jt
Old 07-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #6

Our TourMaster on a 2007 Freightliner chassis has a 90 gallon fresh tank suspended between the framerails running front to back. The black(75) and gray(75) tanks run from side to side just ahead of the rear axle and nearly to both sides. There is a wet bay on both sides of our coach. The drivers side is the dump valves and such and the curb side has the water pump, water manifold and a filter for icemaker.
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #7

Newmar used , black and grey tanks , saddled up around the frame rails, with vent hoses running over the frame rails, to connect the high point of the two tanks .
both over the fresh tank.
All three cross the coach in front of the axle , pegboard on curb side , water bay on street side.
Picture is of the set up with pegboard removed.
Second picture is of modifications done , due to the fresh tank overflowing on corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Behind the peg board 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	253171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Behind the peg board 2.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	253172  

Old 07-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John.....I think you're missing some of the design and usage points. First, the size of the tanks are directly related to the size and carrying capacity of the coach. You start adding larger tanks and you will stress the structure that may not be designed for the additional weight, and the overall ability of your coach to carry the additional weight. Even though yo may say you'll never drive with full sewer and grey tanks, the manufacturer can't build on that premise.

Second, you say your tanks won't hold the fresh water you carry. Your tanks are really pretty close to matching on capacity. Not every drop of water goes into the tank. A lot of it is used for drinking. You have two 40 gallon tanks. If you subtract that from your 90 gallon fresh water tank, that only leaves 10 gallons of extra water (drinking water, even if you don't drink water from your tank).

If you need more space and you're not filling your black tank, add a third valve to the exit of your sewer drain. This way, if your grey is full, open both grey and black drains and let the tanks equalize. The grey will only flow to the black tank side.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Newmar used , black and grey tanks , saddled up around the frame rails, with vent hoses running over the frame rails, to connect the high point of the two tanks .

All three cross the coach in front of the axle , pegboard on curb side , water bay on street side.

Second picture is of modifications done , due to the fresh tank overflowing on corners.

Holy mackerel, what are all those wires about. Surely that is not factory wiring from Newmar. I couldn’t imagine opening a basement door and seeing that.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

@Dutch star Don and jelag, thanks. I've already fixed mine by adding 2 more tanks totaling 17 additional gallons of grey and a one way crossover grey to black. I can see the grey level in the new tanks and know that both are required along with the cross over to take all my fresh.

Gulf stream was consistently lousy at putting an RV on top of the chassis. They basically threw the items necessary to achieve the competitive check list without regard to whether it was space efficient, functional, or repairable.

I don't like my solution. Too many places for standing water. Too slow to drain.

Plus the toilet pipe frequently clogs. I'm betting the pipe should be less sloped.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverofcode View Post
Our TourMaster on a 2007 Freightliner chassis has a 90 gallon fresh tank suspended between the framerails running front to back. The black(75) and gray(75) tanks run from side to side just ahead of the rear axle and nearly to both sides. There is a wet bay on both sides of our coach. The drivers side is the dump valves and such and the curb side has the water pump, water manifold and a filter for icemaker.
I like that solution. I didn't think of putting the fresh above and between the rails. I'll see if I can find those tanks.

Does the black have more vertical on the driver's side (where my toilet is) so the stuff has space to mound up?

Jt
Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
That could be good. It seems like mine but with bulges on the passenger side that I should have had.

How many gallons are the tanks?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaves View Post
I like that solution. I didn't think of putting the fresh above and between the rails. I'll see if I can find those tanks.

Does the black have more vertical on the driver's side (where my toilet is) so the stuff has space to mound up?

Jt
I am not 100% sure but I think both black and grey tanks are plain rectangles that just sit side by side. I have not had the road side panels off yet to look. I need to replace my outside faucet when we get back to the s&b in a week or so and will have a peek on that side.

The fresh tank is a rectangle held up with 3 heavy bars under it across the frame rails with a bolt that clamps the bars to the bottom web of the rail.

riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank