Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Were on our second RV. The first was a class "C" and we kept it for two years. When we traded for the DP we went from a 2004 "C" to a 1999 "A". That eased the pain a lot. We see no reason to trade this one. So you don't have to loose your Tookus because of spring fever. Oh we sometimes get the itch but when we do the cost verses gain analysis, we find what were getting in upgrading just doesn't justify the money it takes. We don't full time, and if we did I'm sure things would look a lot different.

Owning a RV is purely discretionary spending for us and we try to keep that fact in mind at the RV Shows.

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Just curious..... If you researched for 5 months to find this deal ......why are you "soon I be trading it in" ?

Are you that unhappy with your current unit?
No we love our treehouse! She needs a little attention to some minor details, but with a small amount of effort we could own this bus for another 10 years.

I was only curious at the question. I honestly could live in this thing! And with a little time, I can easily make this very personal to us.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
One of the biggest things to me is going to be a new paint job. The paint on our girl could use some help, but I honestly would like some different colors too, nice and shiny like she's supposed to be

And I'm going back and forth on getting a dot number , where then I could do some company graphics on the outside too, my only fear there is killing the resale value without a fresh paint job
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Just curious..... If you researched for 5 months to find this deal ......why are you "soon I be trading it in" ?

Are you that unhappy with your current unit?
i like one i got, but 2000 yr model. price for warranty outragous, so i bought it with thoughts of keeping it a short time, an use as trade. rv is in good condition, an fig since i got a awesome deal on it, could give little leverage on trade. only down side is my area is in top season for buying rv.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
It's not my line, but someone on here once said that you should buy your 3rd RV first. We're on number 5 and it actually should have been #2. It was fun driving all those new units in between, but WOW!! the Kids are going to inherit a lot less. That's probably ok though, because they really enjoyed all the trips in those earlier coaches as they grew up. Not everything in life has a $ sign on it
Totally agree
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agreed as well, I really feel like we have our 5th first. I can't imagine what else I would want that this bus doesn't have. And I actually like the fact that I get to refurbish a couple of things on this bus as I'm a big tinkerer, I bet with another 30000 dollars I could have every inch if it looking new like it came off the showroom yesterday. And then I will have a 400 thousand dollar bus for .25 on the dollar

I could really leave the thing well enough alone as sits... But that's not my bag baby. Fleetwood has been really awesome at having parts I need and I'm thinking about tricking out some custom stuff like how about polished steel or aircraft aluminum to replace my beat up water bay panels? I can make my own stickers to go on top. Sounds like a fun project for a custom metal shop. But I don't haaaaavvvveeee to do it. It's stuff like this that keeps my mind bustling, gives me stuff to do.

Once I got through refurbing the entire inside of my house, complete with a master bath rebuild I was quoted 30k for, and I did my self for 8k, I ran out of stuff to tinker with!!! I thought I was gonna have to move just to have something to paint!

Problem solved
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #21

I'm on my 6th coach, each coach was different and served a different purpose.

Lost $7,500 on my first coach (Class C) after 3 years of ownership
Lost $27,000 on second coach (Class C) after 5 years of ownership.
Made $11,000 on my third coach (Class A gasser) after 9 months of ownership.
Lost $31,000 on my fourth coach (Class A DP) after 4 years of ownership.
Broke completely even on my fifth coach (Class A DP) after 2.5 years of ownership
On my current coach I could make money if I sold it and probably won't go negative for at least another 1.5 years.

So if I sell my current coach at a wash in 1.5 years it will have cost me $54,500 for 18 years of RV ownership OR $ 3030 per year OR $250 per month, but all of the memories were priceless.

My belief is that if you wait until you can get a used coach at a great deal (many times from a distressed owner) and then you sell it privately after a few years of use should not lose very much (and in rare cases you will make some money). To get the sweet deals I find that you need to buy a coach that is between 4-7 years old and sell before it turns 10 years old, during this time frame depreciation is at it's lowest percentage-wise. But the key is to find a coach and pay pennies on the dollar and this can take many months of searching and lots of patience.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
On my 3rd. First a 38ft TT. Traded that for a 40ft 5th wheel. Just traded the 5th wheel for a 43 Ft Ventana. I figure we will take a breather from the loss process over the next 3-4 years before we purchase again but to your ? There is simply no way around the loss.

The minute you leave the lot with either a new or used RV you are going to loose money on the resale. It is rare if you do not.

Good luck!
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We also followed the advice of "buying your last rv first". We purchased the coach in our signature as our very first rv. It was a stretch and could be a mistake, I don't think it will be. We just purchased it last summer.

We purchased the coach at a very good price, well below low NADA and think below NADA wholesale. I think we have at least one, maybe two years of depreciation built in. For us I think in the long run this will pan out to be a good decision.

Stuart
Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It all depends on where you are financially. Most of us who trade for new often are retired, and have worked hard for 40-50 years and accumulated enough assets to do it without financial pain. As was already mentioned, if we don't spend and enjoy what we have worked hard for, the family will get it when we are gone. Personally, I want them to have the same satisfaction we gained all those years by making their own fortunes .
Well put. You've put yourself in a place where you can do this kind of thing. So, do it. Live the lifestyle you've prepared all your life for. Life can end at any moment. Nothing is sure.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
I'm on my 6th coach, each coach was different and served a different purpose.

Lost $7,500 on my first coach (Class C) after 3 years of ownership
Lost $27,000 on second coach (Class C) after 5 years of ownership.
Made $11,000 on my third coach (Class A gasser) after 9 months of ownership.
Lost $31,000 on my fourth coach (Class A DP) after 4 years of ownership.
Broke completely even on my fifth coach (Class A DP) after 2.5 years of ownership
On my current coach I could make money if I sold it and probably won't go negative for at least another 1.5 years.

So if I sell my current coach at a wash in 1.5 years it will have cost me $54,500 for 18 years of RV ownership OR $ 3030 per year OR $250 per month, but all of the memories were priceless.

My belief is that if you wait until you can get a used coach at a great deal (many times from a distressed owner) and then you sell it privately after a few years of use should not lose very much (and in rare cases you will make some money). To get the sweet deals I find that you need to buy a coach that is between 4-7 years old and sell before it turns 10 years old, during this time frame depreciation is at it's lowest percentage-wise. But the key is to find a coach and pay pennies on the dollar and this can take many months of searching and lots of patience.
You look at things the way I do! Or maybe it's that I look at things the way YOU do. HA, either way, in total agreement on both concepts!

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin