Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
You might want to think in three dimensions, rather than just one. By that, I mean that it's not just 6 feet. It's more like 336 cubic feet of living space; perhaps 72 cubic feet of basement storage space, too.

It's been suggested that the amount of stuff you'll take with you will expand to fill the space available.

Take care,

"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
777 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
If we were planning on full-timing, I would want every inch of space I could find, so the 38' model would be the choice. We started with a 40' motorhome and didn't have a problem finding a suitable site.

As far as the offer, the NADAguides site will give you a starting point. Enter the mileage and don't add options. The coach you're looking at comes in at $63,819 for a low retail estimate, so it sounds like it is priced in the right neighborhood. That doesn't mean that you can't start much lower and do some haggling. If the seller is anxious to make the sale, a lower offer might work.

Here's a funny story about our recent house hunting. We found a really nice house after going through everything here. I was using the realtor sites, the county assessor's site etc to get our list down to four prospects. The first one on the list turned out to be a real knockout. The other three were in the same price range, but disappointing.

We offered something well below the asking price. Of course, the sellers came back with a counter-offer. There was one other house nearby that looked interesting, so I told our realtor that I'd like to see it before committing. Our realtor told their realtor and they signed our original offer

It's still a buyer's market, so don't be afraid to walk away and let the seller think about it. They may decide that your offer is better than no offer and take it.

kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wf have the Winnebago Adventurer 37b floorplan and I love the room. We don't full time so we could get by with about 2' less, but it isn't really an issue for us. You have to watch the rear end swing a little more than a 32' MH. Just be cautious when exiting fuel pumps and the like since the amount of coach behind the rear wheels is greater than some shorter units and swings a wider arc during turns.
Joe & Sherri
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We went from a 31' class C with 1 slide to a 40' Class A with 3. However we also went from working and 5 weeks max vacation to retired and 6 months snowbirding. No way in the world could we could survive that long in the old MH. There are days when 40' seems to small. Then we just look at the weather at home and it is big enough

BTW congratulations on retirement. We did it last fall and it took all of about 30 seconds to adjust.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Well using simple math....38' - 32' = 6'

One is 6' longer than the other...or 6' shorter, depending on your perspective.

As noted, what is the intended use and where do you plan to go. Some folks do fine full timing in a 30 or 32' rig and other have trouble with a 40' and 4 slides.

Go spend a few hours in each one and see how it fits...sort of "play house". stand in the shower, sit in the tub, is there space for the lined and toiletries in the bath area. is there sufficient drawers in the sleeping area and closet space/

In the galley, is there places for the dishes, flatware, cooking pots and pans and a pantry for food.

Can you comfortable see the TV and in general are you comfortable in the rig.

Drive both on city streets as well as freeway to see how well it performs.

I believe if you are full timing the fit and usability are the most important. Enough storage, towing considerations and the power, carrying capacity for it, need to be looked at more than getting in and out of the fuel pumps. Is the floorplan one you can live in day after day? I am 6'4" so the bed, dressing area, couch lengh and bathroom size are very important to me. As stated above is there usable storage in the kitchen to live in full-time? My previous 32 was much better than my current 37 in this, its more design than size. I second taking your time until and the right one will come along. Take the quoted advise above, look at the spec's for capacity and take a hour or two and practice doing life drills in the units until you find one that works the best. With the way these things depreciate I would focus on fit and your planning for down the road lifespan/ replacement to work your budget up for what level of expense fits best. Good luck and congratulations.
2007 Georgetown 373 f53
1997 Adventurer 32 WQ - P-32
2007 Colorado
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
Over the past 10 years I drove a 35' Winnebago Adventurer for 6 years and a 37' Tiffin Allegro Bay for the past 4 years. I've never had a problem with traffic issues or campgrounds.
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you want a washer & dryer. Probably won't find many 32-34' that has them or even hook ups for one.

I full time in a 34' with one slide. Plenty of room for me. A 40' is only 6' longer and to me is just more to wash, wax outside and clean inside.
Get the floor plan you want size will take care of that.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #22
Iv'e never had a problem finding a spot and I have had 4- 38' or better. The extra space is extra nice. Look at slides as they offer a whole lot more space when parked; but may be more cramped when driving.. Iv'e said it before, be happy with the floor plan first., then consider other things.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We went from 32 to 38 feet. Almost all our camping is in state and COE parks. The increased length has had no affect on where we can stay. Find the floor plan you like and go with it.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
The shortest MH I've owned was a 35 ft and never really had any issues with getting sites.

If you go longer than 35 ft I would recommend considering a DP. The W24 is a good chassis but consider all the stuff you will be carrying when you full time.
Winnebago Coach Forum Member
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
resqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
If you go with a bigger rig, make sure you get the cargo carrying capacity to go with it. Some manufacturers use the same chassis for several different sizes of motorhome, and the bigger ones don't have much in the way of CCC.

Bigger is better, especially for full-timing, but make sure you don't end up with a lot of room and can't fill it because you can't carry the weight.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

NadaGuides lists the rig you are considering, Itasca Suncruiser #37B w/33k miles at $64k to $77K, and they have it listed at $65K. Proced right, but I would have my mechanic check it out and i would run ALL the mechanical/electrical/propane equipment to make sure all is okay.

if they are asking $65, $62.5 might get it!

Itasca (Winnebago, Ind) has a good rep for reliability. Workhorse chassis is a definite plus!

Good luck, and........

Happy Trails!

desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #27

MHO, all the posters so far have covered the ins and outs of length, DW and I are very happy in a 38'dp, found the perfect floor plan. Caution; do not confuse the size of the cargo compartments with the weight you can carry. B-in-law got a 35'gas 2 slide unit and although the space was fine , they were overweight in a hurry. Before we bought our current coach , we were shown a 34'dp that had only 518 pounds, CCC. So watch the numbers on any unit you consider, and mke sure that the manufacturer has deducted the weight of all the options to calculate the CCC.
Our coach has a CCC of 3357lbs ,and on our snow-bird trips we roll with only 350lbs to spare.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote