Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

How big of a difference is 32 vs 38ft

I know, I know, it's 6 feet...but seriously I have two questions for the experts. I'm 11 months and 7 days from retiring after 25 years in law enforcement and we'll be fulltiming. We thought it be easier to get into spots with a 32-34 ft class A but I have my eye on a 2005 Itasca Sunsuiser 37B Workhorse with 33k miles on it. They are asking 65k and we really like the floorplan. We've been researching tons of mh's and keep coming back to a floorplan with a midsection TV. We haven't found many of the shorter ones with that layout. Question 1.) Is the 38 vs 32ft alot more to handle and 2.) if the asking price is 65k what would be a reasonable starting offer. Thanks in advance. I can't begin to tell you folks how much we've learned from this site.

Bob and Laurie
BobinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The shorter rig would be an advantage in some state and national parks and possibly some of the very old private parks. That said, we've always found a place to park it near where we want to be. We're finding that as even public facilities are updated or added they are working to accomodate the larger rigs that are so popular now, relative to what was the norm two, three or more decades ago, when some of these facilities were first developed. More public facilities will be able to accomodate larger rigs as time passes.

The bottom line: You will find yourself restricted on occasion, but in my opinion, I'd be looking for a rig I can envision living in all the time, rather than be concerned over the few occasions the extra size might significantly affect my plans.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Each spot is different. When the person in the office says a spot is good for up to 30 feet, we have found it is worth while to take a look for often they measured the pad for the wheels where as the rear of your unit often can extend past the edge of the pad just fine. I would not give the extra length a second thought for the previous comments were correct.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Don't get hung up on one model....somewhere out there is THE ONE that will fit all your needs. Don't get in a hurry...THE ONE will come along. We prefer the shorter rigs. For us, 32' is pushing the limit. Getting in and out of tighter spaces, getting on and off ferrys, etc is important to us as we boondock 99% of the time. For example this is a Winne 32 foot with full wall slide and midship TV....we looked at it when we were shopping a while back but we didn't like the colors on the inside. Bucars RV Centre | Inventory#. Newmar also has a few shorter models with midship TV's.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinMN View Post
I know, I know, it's 6 feet...but seriously I have two questions for the experts. I'm 11 months and 7 days from retiring after 25 years in law enforcement and we'll be fulltiming.

Bob and Laurie
FULLTIMING? You may need at least a 37-38. If you plan on driving some serious miles you may even want to consider a diesel pusher.
Think about what you are taking along with you. You need space and weight capacity. You may also end up with a towed vehicle. Take your time and map out the big picture.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah it's 6 feet. You also get more storage and just plain more space. If your going to be fulltime you will need and want the space. Remember it will RAIN at some point of your travels and you will be stuck inside. We spent an entire 4th of july weekend stuck in a 27' with 7 of inside. This year it rained and we just got compy and watch movies in the extra space we NOW have. We only went up 4 feet in length but it makes a huge differance. However my advice is not to rush into a choice take your time or you will regret it for a long time. RV's aren't like cars you trade in every couple years.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob and Laurie -

We've been fulltiming for two years. We started in a 32-foot Winnebago Voyage (The 32H floor plan - introduced in 2008 - features a full-wall slide and TV midship. We loved it!) We purchased the Voyage for weekends and vacations, and ended up using it for the first four months of our fulltiming journey. We found ourselves yearning for a big diesel engine behind us (instead of that noisy gasser under us), a smoother ride and a bit more room. Long story short, we bought a Winnebago Tour 40TD (our absolutely favorite floor plan and a midship TV) and haven't looked back. On the road, we barely notice the additional 8 feet. Once we're set up, it makes all the difference in the world! We have stayed in state parks and COE campgrounds that offer plenty of room. There are so many great places where we do fit that we don't miss the places where we can't. Hope that helps.

Happy shopping!
Mary
Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your pretty good at mathematics. We moved up from a 32' to the 38' we have now and it was NO problem. Love the extra room and storage. As far as price you can go to NADA.com and take a look there. Don't get yourself in to big of a rush. There are a lot of moho's out there for sale but if you've already done a lot of looking and the one you mention fits the bill go for it. Good Luck with your decision and have many happy miles down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

I moved up from a 35' DP to a 44' DP and never looked back. If you are full timer then a 32' is NOT going to hack the program. If you get a 32' make sure you leave your guns at home because you are going to get cabin fever. I have never had a problem getting in with a 44'. It looks big to start with but you adapt. A 32' is just too small and you are going to buy it and I bet you within a year you are going to upgrade. The other problem with a shorter MH is they are harder to drive because they move around so much on the road. Buy the 38' and you will love it and adapt to it the first time out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Bigger is better, especially if you are going FT, you'll need the space.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #11

2 thoughts. First, regarding campsites, we generally pull in to the campground parking lot and drop the toad - using it while selecting a campsite from those available - then moving the motor home to a site we think we're comfortable with.

Second, the bigger coach may come on a heavier chassis that can handle all those little extras better?

I say bigger is better... FWIW
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have owned 4 gas A's, we only do short trips around Florida mostley. IMO for FT camping and if you are going to travel 15,000 miles or more per year GO DP.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go with the bigger one, you will be alot happier. Most State parks I have been in have no problems with that length. I have a 40 footer and have no problem getting in anywhere. If you plan on fulltiming,I think yo would be much more comfortable in the bigger one. I have been retired from firefighting in Michigan for 4 years now and spend alot of time on the road. We are currently on our third MH in 3 years, just keep upsizing.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well using simple math....38' - 32' = 6'

One is 6' longer than the other...or 6' shorter, depending on your perspective.

As noted, what is the intended use and where do you plan to go. Some folks do fine full timing in a 30 or 32' rig and other have trouble with a 40' and 4 slides.

Go spend a few hours in each one and see how it fits...sort of "play house". stand in the shower, sit in the tub, is there space for the lined and toiletries in the bath area. is there sufficient drawers in the sleeping area and closet space/

In the galley, is there places for the dishes, flatware, cooking pots and pans and a pantry for food.

Can you comfortable see the TV and in general are you comfortable in the rig.

Drive both on city streets as well as freeway to see how well it performs.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote