Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #1
How Campgrounds Measure Length

I am new to this forum and my family and I are going to buy a Diesel Pusher soon and travel the country for a year starting this summer. We intend to go to many National Parks and several allow 40' buses. The one I like a lot is a slightly used Fleetwood Discovery 40g at 41'4".

Do the campgrounds go by the "40g" or the actual 41'4"?

Thanks in advance for anyone replying.

Hutchonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #2
They go by what you tell them IF anyone even asks....

You are not going to have any more problems putting your 41'4" rig into a 40' site than a person will have putting their 39' into that same 40' site

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #3
I wondered about that myself.

I had my 30 ft MH in a "30 ft" spot.

Next to me was a 25 ft trailer in a "30 ft" spot.

I was 30 ft overall, while he was 25 ft plus the 20 ft tow vehicle. He could have fit, connected.

Since then, I figured I am 25 ft for campground purposes.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Wife and I worked as camp host in an Ohio State Park and we were task to measure all 200 camp sites for the park web site. We measured the actual length of the pad from the concrete stop at the end of the pad to the seam in the asphalt where the pad meets the road. Our pads were anywhere from 40 to 60 feet long. This park has much longer pads then a lot of other parks around us. I wish all campgrounds would do this. Would make reservations for a particular site easier.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #5
Entegra Owners Club
Most (not all) sites have usable space behind the pavement or wheel stop. Since every RV has an overhang behind the rear wheels, unless there is a tree or large rock right behind the pavement, you can usually back up to where your rear wheels are at the edge of the pavement. Since you have a 5 or 8 foot overhang, voila! the site just got that much longer. Exceptions are where two sites back up to each other, then the overhang area can be more limited. Sometimes you can get a sense of this by viewing the campground on Google Earth.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
A lot of the time it's not the camping spot but the road to it that limits the size. Trees or big rocks don't move.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 36' MH is "30' long" if there are size limitations or it's "45' long" if I want more space. I've been to one CG that had measuring lines painting on the asphalt. If you didn't fit within the lines, they wouldn't let you in.
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

Hi Hutch

Glad to have you here.

The length of the site is never a perfect fit. I have been to CGs where they say 40' max and I've had no trouble getting it in. Very seldom will a CG turn away a paying customer. Sometimes narrow roadways and tight turns will limit what will fit, but if it's only a foot or two you will usually be okay.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Our coach is a 2012 HR Endeavor 43 DFT. According to the brochure it's 44' 3" tip to tail. We tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty. Combined vehicle length is a hair under 65 feet.

When looking for a park (i.e., searching web sites or calling for a reservation) - we go with 44 feet when asked about length (or the common "Less than 45 feet" classification that many on-line reservation systems use). Other than a couple places we called down in Florida - we've never had a problem being able to find a site that we could fit on.

With the exception of a few of the "sardine packed" private parks - if they advertise they can accept 40' rigs ... there's usually enough extra space to fit our extra 4 feet. We may hang over the rear edge of the pad ... or have our nose closer to the road than most ... but we fit.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
How Campgrounds Measure Length

Our Mandalay is officially 41' 6" long. If I'm concerned about getting into an RV park, she's 39 feet. If I'm bragging, she's 42 feet. LOL...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Great Stuff

Thank you all for the prompt replies and welcoming. My wife and I were really stressing about staying under that 40', but it sounds like we're fine. We don't leave until August, but it looks like some kind of ~40' Diesel Pusher with a bunkhouse will be the winner.

What a great group! Who knows, halfway through this trip I may have some wisdom to contribute.

Thanks again,
Hutchonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
The Official Method of measuring RV length for campgrounds is "By Guess & By Golly."
2010 WGO Vista 30W, 1993 Geo Tracker
Just a user with no RV or mechanical expertise
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
Happy Traveler : )

simple answer: they ALL do it differently

to some: actual length of the 'concrete' that you park on
to others: full length to any 'stopping point', such as a rock, tree, ditch, or other rv site
and to still others: length to their 'stops' they created, such as 6x6 posts or electric pedestal
and finally, to all the others: just a guess : /

I might be pushing a total length of 50' with my toad, 38' with my bike rack, 36' with my tow bar, or just 34' front cap to rear ladder.
BUT, my wheel base from the front cap to the rear of the rear wheels is only 24', which is really the 'minimum' site length I need. The rear behind the rear wheels, the tow bar, and the bike rack are just part of the overhang, which RARELY comes into play.

We have traveled 45k+ miles in 18 months all over this country and Canada, with stops at over 300+ rv parks, campgrounds, national parks, state parks, city parks, Walmart 'parks', and more, and have rarely had any issue.

If asked, or if prompted online, I state 30' as my length. Never been a problem, and no one's ever come out to measure my rig(even if they knew how to!) - I can always ask 'forgiveness' if a provided site is not really quite deep enough. : )

just enjoy, and don't fret.
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've parked our 45' MH in a spot marked for a max 40' with no trouble. It just depends on how they measure, how the spot is laid out and how picky they are.
Some spots they measure to a cub, but if they curb is low enough you can back the rear tires right up to it. Sometimes it's possible to go in slightly out of alignment with the sides and get a longer rig in.
Lots of variables in how it's done and what will fit.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote