RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #43

Ivylog,
Yes -- Pulling a P/U truck with toys loaded in the bed, in back, is the most practical option that I see more and more of everywhere I go. There's an old saying here in the South " A pick up truck is like sex -- before you had it you wonder how you got along without it" !!!!
Steve

Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #44

You mite want take the advice of your fellow RVís
I personally have a golf cart and a Volvo I tow. Be safe what ever you do

Littlejohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRV Passion View Post
Iím not knowledgeable on your chassis capability. If it can handle it, my freighliner ford great with hydralift and flat tow Attachment 263609
I am considering an Hydralift for my Freightliner chassis. In the photo, are you aired up or is the air dumped? The rear of the coach looks pretty low. I would hate to spend 6-7 grand and be dragging my 8000 pound trailer and Escalade around. Welcome the feedback. thanks
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I checked to the best of my ability and what I found is that the hitch is rated at 4,000 # and total load including everything you load, people, water and towed vehicle is about 6,000 #. You will be surprised how fast the weight adds up. You may be all right with the bike on a light trailer. Just the Wrangler would probably limit all other cargo to 2,000 # or less.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #47

Aired down as rig was off there. I was as loaded on that trip as ever been and was still but below gross ratings. Iíve not noticed it that low, yes slightly lower than without big bike on, I typically have one of my smaller bikes in there.
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #48

Iím using a 35í Damon MH on a F550 chassis, V10, Iíve added Rear air bags and boxed in the rear frame rails which gave me an 11k hitch, (Iím told) no way would you want to max that weight, I carry a Goldwing #800 or my Harley # 840 my lift is #325, and tow a Geo Tracker with no issues but I personally wouldnít want anymore rear sprung weight than that. Your rig may be on the light side.
tbllknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #49

Ken, if you have a jeep that can be towed 4 wheels down, you can most assuredly towe on a dolly. By putting the transfer case into neutral, your jeep is free wheeling. I had this discussion trying to rent a dolly to transport my 05 Jeep Liberty home 800 miles because of their insistence that it is a rear wheel drive. But that is only true without the transfer case in neutral. The wheels on the ground are not engaged. It really is just thinking it through and using some common sense.
1 Auctioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #50

I did transport it home on a dolly. No harm, no damage. Worked fine!
1 Auctioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #51

I have looked into big MC mounts but they require a dual hitch setup and are very heavy. All things considered, a trailer is less expensive and far more versatile.

We have towed my 2009 Goldwing (900 lbs) on a Big Tex, 10 foot trailer both behind our Toyota Highlander and our Diesel Pusher RV. It tows just fine, although the fuel economy is much worse with the Highlander, going from 24 to, at best, 17 MPG on the highway, whether or not the bike is on the trailer, so it's the trailer that causes the reduced fuel economy. It seems to make no difference with the MH's fuel economy, even when we pull a heavy, Chevy Bolt EV behind it on a dolly. As far as the MC is concerned, getting the MC on and off the trailer is the problem unless you are extremely tall (I am vertically challenged at 63"). You have to run it up the ramp with enough power and speed to land on the trailer bed and not so much that you go over the trailer's front rail (I did that the first time!). Make sure that the MC has warmed up and is not idling fast, especially in the winter, or you will be very sorry when you let out the clutch. You cannot easily back off of a trailer while sitting on a MC. When the rear tire is on the ground and the front tire is on the ramp, your feet won't reach the ground and you will probably drop the bike. Righting a MC while it is on a trailer ramp is not easy. A solution is to use a winch (with a remote control) to pull the bike up as you walk next to the bike balancing it until both tires are safely on the trailer bed, at which point you can ride it the rest of the way into the wheel chock. You would reverse the process when unloading it. An alternative is to practice rolling backwards downhill, but it's always better to be not moving when you drop your bike!
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #52

Put the bike on a trailer behind the Jeep, I do that with my boat. The Haters / Do-gooders out there will tell you itís against the law, but itís not, except in Illinois the first has to be a goose or fifth.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #53

Ok - A limited production motor home on a light 1989 Isuzu 4 cylinder NPR diesel chassis. Only 16 were built before the owner and designer was diagnosed with cancer and shut the company down.

Some refer to it as a 26 foot Super B motor home and not really a Class A. The most powerful and heavy duty was the one built for Kelloggs to haul the Tony the Tiger Hot Air Balloon around the country and that had to have the engine upgraded to a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke to pull the load with much of the house part eliminated (such as the shower) to lighten the load to allow for the weight of the balloon however the stock engine was only about 126 hp even with the turbo on the other Navettes.

That rig would be good for towing the motor cycle on a trailer or having a sub-compact car/small suv as a toad and possibly a light 250cc scooter however nowhere close to what would be required to haul a 1,000 lb motorcycle and a heavy for its size Jeep.

What you need is a motor home built on a heavier chassis with a larger engine and not a Navette. Those NPR trucks of that era were considered Local Delivery Vehicles and not really for long hauls.

Some might consider these a collectible.

The Navette Story as told by its designer and BBC RV Company Owner Bob Smith. Note he was offering to sell his personal Navette along with the designs, molds, parts, etc for $100,000.

http://ourmotorhome.net/oldmh/navette.pdf
Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #54

From an engineering standpoint, anyting is possible. But you're asking an awful lot from an RV that isn't designed to tow or haul that load. The hitch is rated at 5K for tow, 500 tongue weight. A hitch on your Wrangler that can support a thousand pounds will have to be custom and will, I think, overload the Jeep. I've seen 38 and 40' diesel pushers carrying full dress Harleys and towing pickups but everyone I saw was at least 325 HP and had tag axles, the hydraulic lift coast about $5 grand.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer, Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #55

I also carry a MC on my 2016 43' Freightliner. In researching a long time prior to purchasing my coach. My understanding, back then was F/L only had a 22klbs. drive axle capacity. Further, if I was to add my 540lbs (BMW Boxer cup) plus the hydro lift there isn't a non-tag coach that wouldn't be over weight on the rear axle. Since then F/L has come out with a 24k rear axle, so a newer non-tag might be able to carry a 500lbs bike.
PLEASE anyone contemplating a lift. get your coach weighed and your axle weights with your coach loaded. Than go to this site and see what putting a carrier on the back does to the rear axle weight. Again, not saying it will not work just be advised. If you are currently over weight I would get my rear axle service regularly to help the axle out and hopefully eliminate a failure on the road.
http://www.hitchcity.com/files/Towin...alculation.pdf

Good luck to all and keep the rubber side down!

PS Also check your rear tires to make sure they can carry the extra load. If over weight more likely to have a blow out V axle failure.
popatanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepdad View Post
I have a 26' Class A on an Isuzu NPR chassis and we want to go fulltiming with my 1,000 lb Indian motorcycle and Jeep wrangler for a toad. I am not sure what I need to buy to make this happen. Any ideas
Trade for a Thor Outlaw - Class A or C. You can haul the motorcycle in the garage and flat tow the Jeep. Problem solved

Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, toad