Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
How Can I Install Turning Lamps?

In my old age it is becoming more difficult to see into the dark when making turns onto cross streets. Some sort of lighting that is actuated by the turn signal would be nice to illuminate the area would help. Maybe another method would be to add side lights to the fog lights. Does anyone know of specific parts which could be purchased to accomplish this?

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
In my old age it is becoming more difficult to see into the dark
I would respectfully state, we all will reach a point when we have to adapt our driving habits according to our mental and physical maturity. For the safety of yourself and others, make a point of being parked before sundown if you have concerns about night vision.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You could be in violation of vehicle codes, however a simple toggle switch with a center off position could easily turn a set of extra fog lamps on.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I remember a Cadillac from some years ago that had angled spotlights that came on with the turn signals.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
In my old age it is becoming more difficult to see into the dark when making turns onto cross streets. Some sort of lighting that is actuated by the turn signal would be nice to illuminate the area would help. Maybe another method would be to add side lights to the fog lights. Does anyone know of specific parts which could be purchased to accomplish this?
I like your idea of turn lighting. Electrically this should be reasonably easy to accomplish with a relay or two. It all depends how the turn signals are wired on your MH.

Mounting the turn lights will require some ingenuity so they don't look like a couple of warts.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #6

On ebay, search for rv docking lights. This will give you several types to choose from. These are designed to mount in the rear side of motorhomes, but there is no reason you could not make them point forward and mount on front side of motorhome.

Fred
Old 12-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
On ebay, search for rv docking lights. This will give you several types to choose from. These are designed to mount in the rear side of motorhomes, but there is no reason you could not make them point forward and mount on front side of motorhome.

Fred
I googled rv docking lights and found some very attractive recessed LED assemblies - perfect. Since the fog lights are on a separate toggle and I never use them anyway, I probably will add these to that circuit.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike....You could buy some of the flexible LED strip lights and add them above or below your headlight lens and wrap them around to the side. On my coach, Newmar added about a foot of flexible LED's onto the headlight lens. They come on with the parking lights. They would be easy to mount and make inconspicuous. Add a three position switch and you would be good to go.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #9

We picked up a new Fiat 500L towed and it works exactly as you described. As you start your turn the fog lamp comes on on that side. A 3 position toggle with off in the center could do the same.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 99 deville has Cornering or Curb lights that angle more to the curb than my 64 does but the 64 lights up more of the curb area.
Maybe try a junk yard for them. I'm not sure how you would hook up to the turn signal though.
It might be my age but running lights aim forward not to the side, my 99 has Running lights but not brite enough to drive by them, and don't light up anything to the side for curbing.
It would take some customizing,
Are you thinking something along this line?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My '13 Ford Focus has side cornering lights that come on for one of two reasons. 1) slow speed driving (<15 mph) and I turn the steering wheel... left turn and left light comes on, etc. 2) turn on turn signal at relatively slow speed and cornering light comes on. They do a great job of Illuminating the forward side of the road as you go around corners/turns.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #12

Finding and positioning some lights for this purpose is probably a matter of taste but wiring is a bit of a challenge. Preference would be for them to activate with your turn signal, least you might forget an leave them on all the time [ref the left-turn signal guy]. Think you could jump a relay off the feed side to your turn signal flasher [not the blinking side]. This would allow the turning lights to be on as long as the turn signal lever was in the left or right turn position.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
My 99 deville has Cornering or Curb lights that angle more to the curb than my 64 does but the 64 lights up more of the curb area.
Maybe try a junk yard for them. I'm not sure how you would hook up to the turn signal though.
It might be my age but running lights aim forward not to the side, my 99 has Running lights but not brite enough to drive by them, and don't light up anything to the side for curbing.
It would take some customizing,
Are you thinking something along this line?
Tim
Found you some more.http://www.vintagecarlighting.com/cadillac-cornering/
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am not sure what you are trying to see. I know when i am making a turn onto another street when there are no street lights I cannot see where the actual body of the MH and the rear tires are at. Is that what you are talking about. If so I will offer my 2 cents of advice for that. If not please explain what you are trying to do. I have docking lights. They are not really positioned correctly to help with the problem. I notice on most models that are newer ( 2010 or so) the docking lights are angled into the body and that position would show a lot more of what you need. Other posts talk about adding various relay assemblies. If you have docking lights you can turn them on or off when you need to usually from a switch accessible from the drivers seat. I have several modifications in mind for my motor home which I will probably start on the next time I take my MH home for any length of time. to supplement the driving lights I believe I am going to get some clear fog lights. They are available in mini sizes at places like walmart very cheaply. The small size would make it easy for them to be mounted below the underneath storage. Fog lights have wide beam lenses and I believe two or even three per side would light up the side very very well. When you are pulling into a camping site that is on the dark side turning them on would light up the campsite as you are backing in. Angling them so they are pointed slightly down would light up the area without blinding people beside you. I believe they would also resolve your problem if I understand what you are asking for help to resolve.

Tags
install