Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
I get the tpms may be good. but is it really necessary i always check visual before departing and check psi if rig sets very long before takeoff. also i do not let my tread get below 1/2 worn out . never had a flat on tow YET but i may be way wrong here but i would think you would feel something wrong if tire went down ? I am always feeling my tow because i have a extender on my hitch i feel it move the rear of coach due to the extender. I seen prior post on the ones who had tires go down did you not feel anything diff ?? Just curious
I pulled a tow dolly on one of out trips last summer. Needed a bigger car than we usually pull 4 down.

The tow dolly blew a tire while I was running 60 MPH. No way to miss that. Sounded like a cannon went off dust & tire parts everywhere

Never had a flat on the toad. My guess is most of the time it would do a lot damage before we knew it.

Russell

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Good reason why - a friend left for a 5month trip last June.... Temps in Texas were pushing 100.... Abt 250 miles into trip he stopped at a rest area for lunch... Doing his usual walk-around, he discovered a rear inside tire was flat and abt to come off the rim... Obviously, if that had happened major damage could have occurred... A TPMS would have alerted h to the problem....

He stopped at next CW and bought a TPMS for his rig...

Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
I have had my Pressure Pro for 10 years and I am very happy with it. It has save my a$$ several times.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #32

TPMS is a no brainer. I have the TST 507 system with 12 sensors. No booster needed unless your toad is over 100 feet away from the coach. Battery replacement is easy and great customer service.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #33

Looks like its worth checking into what is the flow thru and non flow thru on the sensors ?
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
Looks like its worth checking into what is the flow thru and non flow thru on the sensors ?
With a non-flow-thru sensor it replaces the normal valve cap - you need to remove the sensor to add air to the tire. With a flow-thru design the sensor goes onto the valve stem, and then the valve cap is placed on the sensor - you do not need to remove the sensor to add air. The flow-thru sensors are a bit longer than the non-flow-thru sensors so on a towed car they might hit the curb when you scrape the tires during a parallel parking attempt. The flow-thrus also restrict the air flow slightly, so it might take a tiny bit longer to add significant amounts of air to the tire.

It's pretty much personal preference which ones to go with - to add air you either have to remove the sensor, or remove the valve cap. Both do a good job of sensing pressure and temperature.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #35

TPMS

TPMS is definitely the way to go. I use the Doran 360RV system. I also purchased the signal extender they offer due to the length of our rig to ensure that it reaches the towed vehicle. I didn't get it until after a couple of trips with the motorhome as I was researching which one to purchase. I wish I had it sooner because we blew a tire on our boat trailer, luckily I had seen a piece of rubber flying in the air and knew what had happened. Also had a passerby waving about the same thing.

I would recommend them for those with travel trailers as I blew a tire a few years ago and as I told friends, the side panel on the trailer looked like the quarter panels on NASCAR when they blow a tire.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #36

I will have first hand in a week ordered the 12 wheel set with signal boost they had special going on at tst. Thanks for all your input
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #37

Did my research on the web. Can't find a special. Where did you find yours?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Did my research on the web. Can't find a special. Where did you find yours?
http://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/ I called them is how I got the extender included
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #39

I'm in the first weeks my first vacation with my MH. Here are a few things I learned about my TPMS.

1. When stuck in Nashville rush hour traffic in ninety degree heat, my monitor alarm started going off like crazy! Tire temperatures had jumped from mid-nineties to over 160 degrees. At first I was concerned. After a little thought, I realized there was no air movement around the valve stem sensors and the hot ambient temperature from the roadway affected them. Once traffic resumed, they cooled quickly back to normal.

2. I swapped out the flow-thru sensors for the non flow-thrus. They work more reliably and they are compatible with all valve stems. There are many valve stems which have a tapered thread. The flow-thru sensors will deflate these tires overnight.

Happy RV'ing!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #40

We have the Pressure Pro system and have no range problems to the toad from the dash of our 40' DP. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
look at a flow through sensor where you can add or remove air without removing the sensor TST has a 507FT Sensor seems many people onthis forum use and recommend it.
not to mention the batteries are replaceable and the outstanding customer service.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to say mine is the best, but it is popular, works well, and is expensive.

Pressure Pro.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote