Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
I get the tpms may be good. but is it really necessary i always check visual before departing and check psi if rig sets very long before takeoff. also i do not let my tread get below 1/2 worn out . never had a flat on tow YET but i may be way wrong here but i would think you would feel something wrong if tire went down ? I am always feeling my tow because i have a extender on my hitch i feel it move the rear of coach due to the extender. I seen prior post on the ones who had tires go down did you not feel anything diff ?? Just curious

you wont feel a thing in your coach at 45000lbs? Get a TPMS, you can monitor toad tires, coach tires, I towed a dolly for 10 miles
before and only noticed the fender wiggling from the tire hitting it when I pulled of at flying J. Didnt feel a thing

Moxy

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
TPMS is a no brainer. I have the TST 507 system with 12 sensors. No booster needed unless your toad is over 100 feet away from the coach. Battery replacement is easy and great customer service.

I ended up putting repeater in, seems some conditions seem to interfere with senders, once installed the repeater never lost a signal again

Moxy

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Story time: When this RV was new I purchased a Dorian Pressure Pro TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) Since it arrived while I was at home I installed the sensors and off we went to an Amateur Radio outing.... About 2/3 the way there BEEP BEEP BEEP. monitor said left front tire on towed. Sure enough it was low.. Fired up ONAN and then portable 150 PSI compressor I have and added air to max on tire.

Made it to campground.. Next morn needed to run to store for something, Tire flat, added air made it there and back

Sunday added air went to church

Added more air and headed home, adding air when we stopped for dinner

Monday added air and went to tire store where they found I had been Screwed, so they removed the screw, put in a proper patch, all covered by road hazard warranty and away I went no charge (nice price)

Another RVer bought the same system but it was delivered to the RV park, he was getting ready to leave for home so he figured he would install it when he got home...

About 15 miles from the park people are honking and pointing.. Sure enough the left front tire on teh towed is .. history. and over 2,000 in damage to the wheel well.. (That is the more common method of knowing when a tire goes flat.

IF it blows (I have had two tires BLOW one on a trailer one on a towed) You may hear and/or feel it,, but that is only if it BLOWS.. A slow leak that will not happen in time.

Story part 3: A very good Cowboy Christian Musician parked his Prevost next to me a few years back.. His did not know about TPMS systems, so he arrived with the spare on his towed.. The Original tire was.. Well, toast, (Think planter). The tread and half the sidewalls gone.

There are several makes of TPMS.. TST or Pressure Pro are both good.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #46
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
I'm a new motor home user and I'm intend to use the collective expertise here to the max! So hope you aren't doing the eye roll when I make my posts.

My MH has a B/W rear camera system. It's not very good resolution and I doubt I would notice if my Cobalt dingy got a flat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just installed a flat screen TV above the cockpit. Perhaps a better camera feed to that TV?

Thanks.
Dave.

To answer your main question, "How can I know if my dinghy gets a flat tire while in tow?" Just watch for all the smoke in your rear camera!

Seriously, I would highly recommend a good TPMS. I use the TireTraker for several reasons.

I got a better deal on it than any others I found at the time (10 sensors)

The batteries in the sensors are user-replaceable and locally available

The sensors replace the valve cap, thus sealing the valve against leakage from a faulty valve core.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
To answer your main question, "How can I know if my dinghy gets a flat tire while in tow?" Just watch for all the smoke in your rear camera!

Seriously, I would highly recommend a good TPMS. I use the TireTraker for several reasons.

I got a better deal on it than any others I found at the time (10 sensors)

The batteries in the sensors are user-replaceable and locally available

The sensors replace the valve cap, thus sealing the valve against leakage from a faulty valve core.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
X2 and no repeater required…just sayin'
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #48

I know 2 things about a flat tire on a toad for a fact:
1.) If you pull your toad into a Flying-J after a tire has gone flat, (and destroyed itself), some lady pumping gas will tell you!
2.) What's left of the tire makes 2 dandy Christmas wreaths, (if you wrap a string of colored lights around the 2 beads and partial sidewalls that remain).

Anybody what to buy a wreath?....I have one to many.

Mel
'96 Safari, '97 Saturn toad
Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #49

Had a flat on the toad going through Chicago and the only way I knew it was the nice guy that pulled up next to us at a light and told us so. They had to use a power saw to get the tire off the rim. I can feel a flat on the bus but not on the toad. Tire monitors are a good idea, I have a set sitting next to my desk, good spot for them, hu!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TPMS by TST here. Safety and the convenience of being able to do pre- flight tire pressure check from my easy chair.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Tire monitors are a good idea, I have a set sitting next to my desk, good spot for them, hu!
RayJr
If they work like those deer whistles you will never have a flat.
I've had 2 deer whistles in the glove box of my toad for 3 years and I've never hit a deer.
They don't work on rural mail boxes though, (don't ask how I know.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never had a flat tire in 40 years of driving. But I buy new tires before they wear out snd keep them properly inflated and rotated.

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We run the TST TPMS on the toad--non flow-through has worked better for us than the flow through. I've been assured from TST that the technology is the same, but my experience begs to differ.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #54

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Like Ron, I have the PressurePro system and it sync's with my SilverLeaf so no added panel on the dash. Saved an expensive replacement on toad while on the Alaska Hwy. Would not have had a clew without the TPMS until I saw smoke.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
I leave the camera on an check regularly.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can personally attest that you not feel a flat on the toad . Especially at 65 or 70
mph..