Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #57
They have an inversion valve in the system to prevent over stressing the rear brakes.

As long as the air is up, it progressively charges the spring brake chamber, as the service brakes apply. So no double application.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #58
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A couple of items FWIW:

1) "How do I tell if air brakes are in need of service?" Perform the tests in the CDL manual. Test Low Pressure Warning Signal(Lamp and buzzer @60psi), Check that Spring Brakes Come on Automatically (knob pops out @20-45psi). Check rate of air pressure buildup (85-100psi w/in 45 sec), Test Air Leakage Rate (less than 2psi in one minute (3psi for combo vehicles)). Check air compressor govenor cut in (100psi) and cut out pressures (125psi). Test Parking Brake (Put in gear and gently pull against it). Test Service Brakes (apply service brakes at 5mph firmly). If you are mechanically inclined then also add: 1)Pull on the slack adjuster and see that it does not move more than about one inch. 2)If your compressor is belt driven, then check the condition and tension of the belt. Source: CDL Manual 2014

2) Air brake endorsement? I just got my CDL in May and VA DMV said they have changed it to a "restriction" IF I have not applied for and/or not passed the air brake section. FYI, I have a only one restriction. "Restricted to automatic transmissions when operating a CMV (code:E). THIS MAY BE STATE UNIQUE.

3) Technology does change. A) Most currently operating air brake CMVs have components that prevent applying excessive pressure so you can apply the service brake and have the emergency/parking brake applied at the same time. B) The same goes for draining the air storage tank at the end of each day of driving.

2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #59
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
When someone asks the question of (How can you tell if your air brakes are in need of service) that says to me that they do not understand their brake system at all.
Having the knowledge of the basics of how the system works is not an unreasonable expectation.
This is the purpose of my question, to learn more. In general, people have posted a lot of helpful information here in both respectful and dis-respectful tones. The end result is, hopefully, people are learning about air brake systems.

I don't even own a coach yet, so I have time to learn!

Thanks everyone. This has been educational. And remember, newbies may ask dumb question, but if you want them to learn instead of tuning out, just be nice...
steined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #60
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
Maybe I missed it I was told to always take airbrake parking brake off before pushing on service brake pedal as with parking brake on damage could happen to brakes, is this correct? Thanks:
That is true for some systems, as this pdf states: http://faculty.mccneb.edu/dlpartner/...e%20Manual.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #61

Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is true for some systems, as this pdf states: http://faculty.mccneb.edu/dlpartner/...e%20Manual.pdf
Page 33 shows this, thanks for the reply.
2004 monaco camelot isc 350 cummins allison 6 speed trans
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #62
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
Page 33 shows this, thanks for the reply.
A light application on the service brake before releasing the parking brake should not do any damage. However, you don't want to put a full application on the service brake until the spring brakes are released. You always want your foot on the brake treadle as you release the parking brake.

Let's say you're parked on an incline, it's obviously not necessary to keep your foot off the brake treadle as you are releasing the parking brake and having to time jamming on the pedal to stop the vehicle from rolling back or forward once the brakes are released. Keeping your foot on the treadle with a very slight pressure while you release the parking brake will allow you to put more gradual pressure on the pedal to keep the coach from rolling once the spring brakes are released.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

air brakes, brake, brakes, service