Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
I grew up tenting with the family and moved out at 18 still tenting. I tented for a few years as a single man but I only really went out once or twice a year. Tenting in the foothills/mountains of Alberta and BC is not for the thin-skinned. In 1999, I was now with my DW and then decided to move up a bit with a tent trailer. I think we used it twice. A couple of "the gang" we camped with were into good sized bumper pulls by then so we had to follow suit. Bought a used 1996(?) Mallard 19 footer. Our next rig was a 2004 19.5 foot Jayco Jayflight with a little slide. We stayed small because all my trucks were company 1/2 tons. Hauling 1 quad in the back and towing a small trailer was really all they could do. We rolled this way until I took an office job in late 2006. I had to buy my own truck and since I did a lot of commuting, I stayed with a 1/2 ton for mileage and ease of parking. Well...a few months later the DW has decided that we need to get a larger RV...and she had a list of things it had to have, the main one being, a separate bedroom with a solid door so she can sleep while I "graze" and watch TV when I come in from the fire which was ofter several hours after she turned in. So I am faced with a fairly expensive trailer purchase PLUS a 3/4 ton diesel truck. While on holidays we saw a 2000 28' Triple E Embassy on an RV lot. We hadn't even thought much about motorhomes, but after a good long look, then another one, then a test drive....then a long conversation over a wine or three...we figured that the Moho might be the way to go. We traded our trailer in and finished our vacation with the Embassy. Used the Embassy all the next summer and already got a feel for wanting "bigger and better". With the economic crisis in the USA, I went south and brought home a Safari Simba 30 PDD in Feb of 2010. We used it for one summer, but there were a lot of wear and tear item that were driving me crazy about this rig, so I sold it for a profit and bought a new Newmar Baystar in Feb 2011....and here we are: Class A people. Hehe. We wouldn't have it any other way now.

Dave and Kara - Weekend Warriors 2010 Newmar Bay star 3202, Ford chassis, Ford Ranger Toad, Can Am ATV
Central Alberta, Canada
HMXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #30
I had mentioned to my sister in law, a banker, that someday I would like to have a motor home. (My wife and I started with a pickup camper in 1971, visited most of the lower 48 states, drug the children everywhere with a series of popups, purchased several travel trailers when the children left and hoped for a motor home.) My sister in law called one morning and told me that if I was serious about a motor home, I needed to come to her bank as soon as possible as one of her clients wanted to sell his. He had listed it on Ebay with no takers and told her that he would sell it for what he owed on it, which was about half of the original cost. He bought it, drove it once, and had a heart attack. It had never been slept in and was three years old, kept in a heated shed. Too good a deal to pass up!

Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
I found myself divorced in 1983 with $500 in cash, a guitar & sound system, a shot gun & a SW9mm and a very tired International (now-a-days it would be called an SUV lol)... I traded the International & guns for a 1969 Adventureliner 28' motorhome and hit the road singing for my supper. When I finally got back to FL I bought a sailboat and continued sailing & singing for another lifetime. I cruised the sailboat for 18 years, sold it and bought a 1993 32' GB CruiseAir... should have done that instead of getting the sailboat!! Last year I bought my 2001 35' GB CruiseMaster w 2 slideouts, V10. I'm still cruisin' n playing the guitar, singing, doing karaoke in campgrounds and living the good life. When I win the lotto I'll be hitting the road in a new 38' DP but until then if you hear guitar music carried in the air near your campsite pop on over, pull up a seat by the campfire and make your request. Buffett/island/country/rock n roll (oldies).
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moved to SoCal and had always wanted to do off -roading, so bought a Jeep. Weekend off- roading trips to the mountains and desert areas were great, but while other folks in the group were often camped somewhere to gather we were often in a motel room some miles away. Missing out on the off the trail evening activities of the group. So the purchase of a Motorhome came to be. Now we still go off-roading but gave also found we enjoying. RV'ing unto itself as well.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #33
My odyssey started by borrowing my brother in laws 22ft trailer and his pickup and meeting a good friend in Pismo Beach for a few days. He had a gas motorhome and we spent most of the time in his. We decided we needed to test the water and bought a 97 HR Imperial 40WDS. For the next two years we traveled in it as much as we could doing short trips although our maiden voyage was from LA to Tucson where a tractor trailer hit the back and did $10k damage to it. Had the chance to upgrade so I traded it in on our 2005 Panther with 4 slides. It is wonderful. We had a flood in the house so we have spent the last three weeks in the Panther while trying to get the house fixed. It's kind of like full timing. Hopefully I will always have a motorhome.
slemnah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #34
4 Stents and a triple bypass in 2006.
2000 MADP 4093
mlr1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
We got so tired of Indiana winters, which come with extended and painful visits from Arthur Itis, I started looking for a way to go south. One problem; we couldn't decide where to go! My daughters' in laws are full-times who travel between Florida, Virginia and Ohio whenever they feel like it. At first, I thought that was not the life for me. But the closer winter got, the more it began to appeal. I realized with a rig, we could go wherever we wanted.

I looked on eBay and watched a number of auctions. After a while of drooling, I started visiting local dealers and got the 'used car salesman' vibe from all of them. All had been in business less than 10 years. On our way to the east coast to visit DD, we stopped at Arlington RV near Providence and spent hours touring their rigs and discussing our wants/needs with their top associate. They have been in business since the industry began, and the associate was Winnebago's top seller in that region many years in a row, having worked there since 1968. They had won more customer service awards than I could count. He spent a great deal of time explaining their inspection procedures for used MHs, and it just felt right.

We were lucky enough that he found us a consignment unit that was gently used with meticulous maintenance records that had everything we would need and then some to get started, including a screen room and awning mat. They fixed a number of issue for us, including the dreaded "winnebago window rust" which involved taking out both windows and welding in a new frame and other minor things. We had our first adventure in our rig while driving it home.

We think the only thing we might want to add is a SteerSafe, but other than that, we are ready to head south right after Christmas!
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
How'd we start?

I blame it on my father who built TripTiks for the AAA in Washington DC in the late 40s - early 50s. A man who valued his credibility, he felt he needed to visit all of the places that he was recommending to AAA customers (car trips were just starting to become popular). He somehow finagled trip research time for the AAA and began dragging his whole family around the country. Including me. We made it to all 48 states. Then I got married and we did the same thing, making it to 49 states. Then we had kids of our own and id it again! And now my kids are trying (I think) to make it to all of the continents.

The "travel bug" started about 65 years ago in our family and is indeniable. The MH is simply the current methodology.

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
My dad built his own pop up back in the day. During the summer, we would go to miles standish state park near cape cod and stay there until Labor Day. My mom didn't work. My dad would drive to work each day from the park. Later on, we would stay in an older mh parked at a friend's lot in kettle cove on lake sabago in Maine. So I got the camping bug early. When I got married, my DW had never camped and had no interest in doing so. She did love to pack a bag and hop in the car on a Friday afternoon. We would just drive to parts of Florida we had not seen yet and get a room for a couple of nights and explore the area. I had thought about pop-ups but she hated the idea. In the pre-internet days I had no idea there were so many different used and affordable rigs in the world. No one I knew owned even a TT, let alone a B,C or A. The only time we " camped" was a couple of fishing trips to boca grande in the keys. She and her sister would sleep in my BIL's van, while we fished all night. When she passed so quickly at such a young age (56), after only a few months I realized I could not stand to be in the house anymore. I wanted to see this country while I still had my health. I'm still not sure where the idea came from, but one morning I woke up and decided to sell the house and buy that pop-up I had always wanted. It was also all I thought I could afford if I paid cash . I called my oldest daughter and told her. She surprised me. She was irate! Her farther was not going Rving in a pop-up. Lol. Whatever I went in had to, as she put it, be big enough to hang pictures on the walls. So that is how I found myself on the road full timing in my son's Bounder. I love my kids! And so far, I love this lifestyle too.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Hit 55 and started looking at red convertibles. Had been looking for about 2 months, when out of nowhere one day a MH pops up on my monitor screen. I made a casual comment to DW about the MH and she then looked at the picture and said "I've always wanted one of those". Well, since my DW is always putting everyone else first and making life with her a joy, I stopped looking at convertables and focused on MH's. Bought our first Class C a month later. When we were sure we truly enjoyed rving we bought our first class A. We are on our second class A now and have never looked back.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #39
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been truck campers all our married life. Our present one is a 10' with slide. When we stay in CG's my socialite DW goes off visiting other women and they would invite her into their MH's. She'd come back to the camper all excited about how much space they had etc...etc...etc. I drug my feet like a plow. We both retired and she started quilting. Pretty hard to set up an ironing board, sewing machine and cut out boards in a camper. One day when I came back from fishing, she let me have it. She wanted a MH and she gave me until our 30th wedding anniversary (1.5yrs) to buy her one. I gave her every negative reason I could think of for not buying a MH to no avail. Realizing my arguments against were just running into a cement wall I started looking. We bought the 50th one after looking for 5 months. We still use the camper for hunting and short in-state visits, but most adventures take place in the MH. Now the DW's in 7th heaven and I can fish in peace again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	583.4 KB
ID:	51697  
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #40

We are the proud owners of three antique corvettes and frequently travel distances to car shows. We admired the folks who were able to stay onsite in their RV's and decided to try it for ourselves. We are now on our 4th MH and loving it. We put 11K miles on ours last year and only a 1/4 of the miles were associated with car shows!
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
Rv sweet hearts..........

Our parents both rv'ed. We met in a campground in Mystic seaport conn. in 1969. Got our own first Rv in 1975, a 10' scotty! Two kids (and they each are now rv'ing with their families) later and about 7 rv's later we are still rving.

I often wonder how many miles we have covered, wish I had kept a log.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #42
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its really cool seeing this thread start up again after a year...the stories are great.

08 Holiday Rambler Vacationer XL 38PLT
Workhorse R-26 UFO gas pusher,06 Saturn Vue, SMI braking system.
-Gramps- is online now   Reply With Quote