Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did it start?

How did it start for you? When did you decide to become part of the moterhoming lifestyly? We each have our story, here is the first part of mine:

Blog—Views-My Random Views

08 Holiday Rambler Vacationer XL 38PLT
Workhorse R-26 UFO gas pusher,06 Saturn Vue, SMI braking system.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My first camper was a pull-type 70's model. We enjoyed that for a couple years then bought a brand new bigger pull-type.

Then someone came along and offered us a stupid amount for the camper so we sold it. Actually, I sold it. My DW is still mad at me for that! Lesson learned.

We went a couple years without a camper then I saw a '91 Holiday Rambler Class A gasser motorhome at auction. Would we or wouldn't we like motorhomes? Time to find out.

I bought the motorhome. We loved it. Put a whole bunch of money into upgrading it. In fact we loved the Class A lifestyle so much that we soon yearned for a DP.

Less than 2 years after buying our gasser and sticking all that money into upgrades, we bought a 2000 Newmar DP. Our little world hasn't been the same since. We are totally hook, line and sinker caught-up in the Class A lifestyle.

We use our Class A for more than just camping and traveling. We started a new hobby of participating in grilling competitions, pulling our homemade smoker behind. We also like to do evening 'dinner cruises' with friends. Tailgating is also a passion. Class A's are just so much darn fun!

I still have our gasser, but May 1 it'll hopefully sell at a consignment auction.

Damn I love this lifestyle . . .

2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38' Class A, Spartan chasis, MM-2242, Cummins 330 pulling a 2014 Ford Focus.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Thats some story. Glad everything worked out. You could have lost your wife. I am happy you are still together and rving!
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
"how did it start" well my wife asked whats on TV and I said dust, lol wait thats not the right thread it was a 23 foot dodge coachman class A with a 413 gas motor running on 7 Cylinders and had split rims, if I had known what split rims were I would of never bought that clunker, but we needed a place to stay that was safer than a tent, the bottom had fell out of the construction trade after 2001, then in 2005 I caught a big overtime job at Vandenburg AFB and saved up for a 1988 Winnebago super chief with basement storage bays, big upgrade from the coachman, 2012/2013 was an epic year for saving up for an upgrade, involving 2 deployments to Afghanistan as an civilian contractor, which brings us to the 2007 forest river toy hauler at 42 feet its a big upgrade, and the 1999 Freightliner Sport Chassis as out tow rig
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a Jeep and started off-roading. Going with groups on multi day outings, most of the group would be camping together (tents, RV, etc) and we would be in a motel 20 mikes away. Thus missing the evening comradely of the group. So bought a Motorhome to tow the jeep and better participate. Found we enjoyed RV'ing unto itself as well. So we now do RV'ing to off-roading events as well as just RV'ing.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
Started with a 19' Airstream Trailer so we could spend time at amateur astronomy gatherings more comfortable than a tent, found we needed a bit more space so moved to a 27' Airstream, started to spend more time RV'ing so before a 3 month trip we moved up to a 30' Airstream and finally after that trip a 40' AS motorhome...now looking at a 45' (different manufacturer because Airstream didn't make anything bigger than 40'!). It was simply a progression as we found that we liked Rv'ing and were spending more and more time doing it. We will probably never full time but will probably spend close to 150 nights out this year. We still do the astronomy and we also picked up a "nasty" jeep habit in Moab
The lifestyle has allowed us to see and do things we would never have done without the RV
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When on a camping trip with 500 other people most were in tent (included my wife and myself) with about a dozen in RVs. A friend of mine had borrowed his sister class C and invited us to stay with them. The bathroom sink water lines were broken and I fixed it for them. I absolutely loved it. We left a day before my friend and when he left he forgot to unplug the power cord and ripped it out of the RV. So when he got home I assisted in fixing the power cord. When we return it, it was in better shape then when we got it. The next year we (my wife and I) rented a popup trailer. The funny part is when I retired from the Air Force, I made a promise I would never go camping, never cut my hair and never shave again. Today I go camping as much as I can (in my second class A rv). My hair is cut short and I shave everyday (almost). And yes I blame him for all the money I have spend on mu RV.
Mark Taylor
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 2 cats. Retired USAF
mrt_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
Parents rented a 17' TT in 1957, then special ordered an 18' Ken Craft. When I turned 21 I got my own TT (1968)
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #9
In 2001 we (family of 4) took a 16 day trip from NE Ohio to west coast and back. All but 4 nights we stayed in hotels, it was a real pain hauling suitcases, computer bags, camera equipment, snacks and cooler in and out of the hotels every day. I told DW then that we would eventually get an RV.

In 2004, we purchased a 30 ft Class C. In 2006 DW and I did a 30 day vacation to the southwest, towing a car. We had a great time and didn't have to stay in any hotels. But while on that trip, determined several must haves that the Class C did not contain, so we sold it in 2009.

Last October we purchased our DP. We'll both be retired by end of May and looking forward to seeing the country in a more relaxed time frame.

Rick & Denise
2015 Fleetwood Expedition 35B; 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad
Ridemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:43 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We started with a 1971 chevrolet maxivan stripped inside. Built a bed sink and hot water too. Used it in california then sold it when moving back to florida. Bought a old dodge with slant six in 1976 and built another bed and cabinets. Took a nice trip from florida to maine, niagra, down I75 to tampa, across everglades to miami then back home in north florida. Sold it and bought a 2001 Traillite travel trailer. Had problems with it and deployed alot sold it. A few years ago we purchased a 2001 Monaco DP and loved it for one year but had a brake failure everytime we left home. After 250 miles that year we sold it. Now own a 1997 HR TT I rebuilt and using it until I retire in 3 years. Would buy another DP but waiting on Ford to fix the new 6 speed.
Mr. Kim Smith, the one with a beard.
1997 Holiday Rambler 24BC Travel Trailer
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
When I was in second grade my best friend invited me to McDonalds for dinner. His mom drove us there in his VW Bus. She ordered our food and we ate it sitting at the table inside the VW. I couldn't believe it. I thought that it was the coolest thing ever! I told my family that I had to get an RV when I was older. Fast forward twenty years and my wife and I began tent camping regularly. When the kids came along we knew we had to graduate to a pop- up after one very soggy, muddy tent weekend. After a couple of fun filled years with the pop-up, and a growing family, we decided the time was right for a motorhome. The stories and memories we've made traveling with the kids, extended family and friends since purchasing our motorhome has been priceless. It's been a wonderful addition to our family!
ArveeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I guess it actually started in 1974 when my father bought a 1974 Winnebago Brave but it actually started about 1979 when I was 12 years old and instead of sneaking out with the family car, I would take the Winnebago out for a joy ride. I remember neighbors watching as I would go down the street taking of low hanging branches and knocking off marker lights as I would go. I barely got it parked beside the house as my parents rolled up from their shopping trip. (phewww! that was a close one!) Ok, it actually happened when my children started racing motorcycles about 15 years ago. We had a conversion van and a tent. To break my wife and the younger kids into the sport, I figured it would be better to spend the night at Jellystone park near the racetrack rather than at the dusty and loud racetrack itself. We got there late and had to set up the tent in the dark. It was still at least 100 degrees and the mosquitoes were thick as thieves along with every other large flying insect. Sweating and uncomfortable, we finally laid down in the mosquito filled tent. Ten minutes later, I hear my wife get up and unzip the tent. A few seconds later, the van started and I didn't see her until morning.

When the sun came up, I was cooking breakfast in silence as ,y wife watched from the picnic table wrapped in a blanket. As she took the first sip of her morning coffee, she casually stated that if I wanted to keep up this racing stuff, I would have something with air conditioning, a shower and some place to plug in a blow dryer by next weekend. I never looked up from my eggs and said "no problem dear".

My new toy hauler arrived the day before I left for sturgis, (couple weeks late for the next weekend of racing), a couple years later we moved up to a super C and race trailer and now travel the country in our Class A and race trailer. Its been and incredible ride which includes having my daughter win the National Championship three weeks ago! And I see our DP in the near horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sam 0.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	124340   Click image for larger version

Name:	sam freestone.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	124341  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sam freestone 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	124342  
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #13
Been full-time crusing in our Trawler for a few years so we decided to sell the house in NJ. The daughter who was living there moved out anyway.

We went to contract on the house and a few days before closing, another daughter announced her wedding in two weeks.

Having left the boat in FL and driven up for the closing we had planned on shooting back to FL right after closing.

With her getting married in PA, after closing, we needed lodging.

We did some MH shopping and picked up a low milage, 1999 30 ft Class C.

We camped in my daughter's yard for the 2 weeks and helped with the wedding.

We drove it and the toad down to FL and had the boat hauled and stored, since it was getting to hot in FL and there was no time to head north.

We then RVed our way as far north as the U.P. of Michigan for the summer.

We had seen the waterways along the east coast a few times, so RVing got us to inland attractions.

Tomorrow we haul and store again, as after 6 months aboard and head off to unknown places.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #14
We have both participated in Sports Car Club of America Solo events (Autocrosses) for 45+ years. The RV itch started way back when, at an event in Dayton, Ohio, where we noticed that some people were trailering their cars behind motorhomes. We had rented RV's on two occasions to spectate at races, then rented a Class C and trailer to haul our car to the national championship in Kansas. We enjoyed this so much, we took the money being saved for a European vacation, and bought a new 1976 Midas Mini. After driving the car to an event in Louisville, and cramming into a friend's van during a rainstorm, wife said "if we had a car trailer, we would be watching the rain from inside our motorhome". Since then we have had a series of trailers and try to add time to out of town events so that we have time for a vacation.

Almost 400,000 miles later, we are on motorhome #4, trailer #3, and still going. As far East as Nova Scotia, South to Florida, West to Vancouver island, and points in between

George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote