Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
Sorry, I can't help you. According to my friends I always pay to much. Btw my friends always get better mpg then I do.
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
This made me laugh! I have worked with people that always could have gotten it cheaper if I had only asked or they know of something that is better, cleaner, faster, stronger yada, yada, yada. For the OP, do your research in-depth and decide what a fair price is for a unit and make your best offer with all the bells and whistles you want on it and then wait and see what comes back to you. Decide up front what you are willing to pay and if you decide that is the one and you buy it, pay no attention to the hordes of people that will tell you how you got taken advantage of. They are everywhere.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Being that I am currently in the hunt I enjoyed this post.

Searching for a new Rig is difficult....then balancing all of the "deals" out there and trying to guage value.....to get that Great Deal....

I wont have any hair left after this one!

Drag Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #17

I bought mine at RV Wholesalers. I made the deal via the internet. It was delivered to my driveway. I have had one warranty issue. My dealer arranged for a local business to repair. It is my first RV, so I have spent some time with the owner's manuals learning the system. I saved ~30K off retail, ~12k off the best local deal I could make, ~7kcompared to the best advertised prices at other dealers with internet advertising.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
Sorry, I can't help you. According to my friends I always pay to much. Btw my friends always get better mpg then I do.
This may be the most profound to the point comment and answer I have read on IRV2.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
I owned a car dealership in another life and we had a saying " The definition of a GOOD DEAL----is if you think you got one."

We had folks that we would make several thousand dollars on, but if they were happy with the deal when they left we never had a problem with them. On the other hand, we had folks that beat us down to a hundred dollar profit but if they thought they left .50 cents on the table we couldn't make them happy.

Find the unit you want---figure out what you can pay for it and still be happy with the price----know that figure and stick to it----if it doesn't work ----go back to step one. Bottom line, pay what you are comfortable/happy with for the unit you want and then don't listen to anyone but the guy in the mirror.

Life is to short----buy what you want and be happy.
Chuck, Judy, Sam and Willie (The Boys)
2013 Anthem 44 DLQ
2007 GMC 2500 HD 4wd
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
if your are looking at used ones, look for bank repos. they go cheep but there as is. but they are so cheep you have $ to do the little things.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
Any unit is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, like the saying goes one mans garbage is another mans gold! If you really like it then its a good deal as long as you now the market for that unit. It doesn't matter how good of a deal you got as soon as you buy it drops in price and will continue too!

I bought mine in 2005 and I paid what I was willing to spend and felt comfortable with, over the years it's cost me thousands replacing this or that repairing this and that and upgrading this and that. My point is they are not even close to a good investing money wise but mentally it is the greatest feeling getting in it and driving off to anywhere.

For me it's my lifestyle I am buying at a great price!
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Nobody MAKES you buy.
If your deal isn't what you call "great" don't buy.
Patience, friend.
Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
I don't know what the secret is. We got a really good deal on our first MH. Purchased it at the FMCA rally in Indy. When we decided to upgrade to our current coach we thought we would do the same and went to the Syracuse rally. Could not get a deal we felt was good enough even after trying for three days. Eventually went back to our original dealer and got what I thought was a fair deal. Nothing spectacular but better than we had gotten other places.
Perhaps some of it is timing and some of it is what model your buying, and some of it is just pure luck.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
Country Coach Owners Club
I paid too much in retrospect (we negotiated and they said yes), but had great dealer delivery service result and have enjoyed our rig for almost 12 years now.

In my book that qualifies as being a great deal.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
Find the exact coach you want. Then find as many as you can online at dealers. Set your price and send out bids to as many dealers across the country as you can, 5 to 10. Usually several will respond, the one's that don't respond you won't want to deal with anyway. Complete the negotiations over the phone, give a down payment to hold the unit. Fly in and close the deal and drive home. Make it as simple and painless as you can and save thousands.
Phillip, AZ, 2013 Fleetwood Storm, Roadmaster Front Stabilizer, Koni FSD Front Shocks, DIY Rear Track Bar, CHF, 5 Star Tune, 2010 Kia Soul Toad
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will get a better deal from an individual seller than from a dealer. Just don't get in any hurry, keep checking the on-line listings, and don't consider any purchase unless they have good maintenance records!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
Country Coach Owners Club
buy a good quality used coach and you'll be able to get a higher quality coach for a significant savings. You can go to rv.org and pay the $$$ they ask and it will be your best money that you will spend on your coach. Good Luck and Happy Hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
I think that some of the best prices are from private owners who are looking to sell they coach.

1. look for one that has been for sale for a few months
2. should be clean and well taken care of. Pride of ownership will show.
3. less miles
4. super clean on the inside,(don't sweat the outside too much,you can fix that cheaper and easier than the inside)
5. Know how to price the coach. Educate yourself
6. look up the "wholesale" price. No bank will loan you more on a used rv than wholesale + 10%. That is the price you should offer and stick to. Its more than what they would get on a trade in.
7. You can finance the loans by going directly to a bank or credit union. Don't waste your time with the big banks, go to the smaller ones.
8. If buying from a dealer, they will charge you more and ask for a larger down payment (20% or more), which is the money over wholesale that the bank will not give you. That is profit directly in the pocket of the dealer.
9. As always, pay for and get an inspection to check things out.

BE PATIENT. It will take a few months for the right deal to pop up. Do not buy on impulse.

This is what I recently did and got a pretty good deal on a coach

2004 Damon Intruder 373 (Workhorse)
No Toad, just a trailer full of toys...
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote