Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
We recently sold our MH and during the process we had a couple of people take the time to "educate" us about the "real" price of our MH, A couple of folks were even kind enough to leave us there name & contact info so that we could call them when we came to our senses and reduced our price! They were such nice knowledgeable folk ....and I don't want to appear ungrateful or unappreciative of their free advice....so I keep wondering if I should call them and let them know how lucky we were to sell the MH at many thousands $$$$ more than they offered? They are probably sitting by the phone waiting for my call & I feel bad about disappointing them....maybe I'll call them tomorrow.
Naw, wait for them to call you IMO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
So my upcoming purchase of a coach may be the largest I have ever made. I want to make sure that I make a good deal. I know some of you crafty RVers on this forum have made some deals way below MSRP. Please share your experiences on how you got such a great deal. Did you time your purchase to your advantage? How did you avoid some of the dealer ploys to grab more cash? What was your strategy going into negotiations? How did you get your dealer to accept your low offer? Did you use a trade in in your dealings? Any other advice for novice RV buyers? Thanks for sharing your wisdom. James

My wife and I thought we were interested in the RV lifestyle and spent 3 years going to a multitude of rallies and shows and a lot of dealers. We actually bought a 43' RV with a condition that we would put down 20% and the remainder would be financed at 4.5%. That fell through when they couldn't deliver. My brother in law was selling his RV on line and the dealer asked if he knew anyone interested in the deal of a lifetime on a 45' Travel Supreme. During our 3 years, we became extremely familiar with the nuances of RVs. We knew what we wanted and what we could afford. It was 2009 when we got the call. I was still 1.5 years away from retirement but decided to drive from LA to Phoenix one weekend to look at the RV. It had everything we wanted plus plus. The bus was wonderful in every respect. We told the gentleman who owned the RV what we could afford contingent on financing. Didn't know at the time that he had sold it 3 times, but the other buyers couldn't get financing so the deals fell apart. Our financing went through and we owned a 3 year old bus with 22,000 miles on it. We were so happy with the bus and felt good about the previous owners that we didn't even have it inspected. (probably a mistake- but I figured the underlying parts - Spartan, Onan, Cummins, and the Allison 4,000 transmission, made it easy to accept). My wife and I accepted the fact that there would be some expenses and there were, which we anticipated - new tires in the future - $850 X 8 - X Bracing - new AGM batteries - 10 and other minor things, oil changes, insurance, CA DMV etc. All said - we have had the bus for 4 years, put 40,000 miles on it and drove from CA to Niagra Falls to Branson and most places in between. We are in the bus more than in the house. There are a lot of ongoing expenses, including insurance, DMV , maintenance, and emergencies, not to mention picking and choosing the clubs you want to buy into. All totaled, We have been very blessed and lucky. I would encourage you to go to as many RV shows as possible, understand weight and balance (each tire weight, not just the axle Weights, understand that a 360 hp engine has limitations even though a salesman will try to sell you an underpowered and tell you all is well. Talk to as many people at RV shows as you can - there are always guys like me running around willing to share their experience - the more the better. Finally - remember that a manufacturer who makes his own chasis has problems if he goes bankrupt (Monaco). If you have a Spartan (my preference) or a freightliner, they are less likely to go out of business and will always be there after the sale.....Stay in touch with prices on all the web sites - RVTrader, NADA, and many more so you know what the true value is. I ended up paying $.30 on the dollar for my rig because of the economy and being in the right spot at the right time....Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I paid too much in retrospect (we negotiated and they said yes), but had great dealer delivery service result and have enjoyed our rig for almost 12 years now.

In my book that qualifies as being a great deal.
Amen, us too.

Nothing wrong with leaving some dollars on the table getting good service and keeping your MH a good long time. It does add up to a good deal. And just how good a deal is does not end until you sell the MH anyway. A person can get the deal of a century (if anyone really knows what that is) and give it away when they sell down the line.
Who knows?

It's relative, and I have great relatives. And a fine MH we still enjoy.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I bought mine at RV Wholesalers. I made the deal via the internet. It was delivered to my driveway. I have had one warranty issue. My dealer arranged for a local business to repair. It is my first RV, so I have spent some time with the owner's manuals learning the system. I saved ~30K off retail, ~12k off the best local deal I could make, ~7kcompared to the best advertised prices at other dealers with internet advertising.
I went to rvwholesalers.com and they don't list any class As. Did I go to the wrong site?
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #33

rvwholssalers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
I went to rvwholesalers.com and they don't list any class As. Did I go to the wrong site?

They would be listed as motorhomes. I looked and saw where they listed 2 new ones - both sold. I saw one 1989 used motorhome. I don't know if this is normal or if they are at the end of the season regarding inventory.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's how I did it.

Get your loan in line first, approved for XXX dollars first. i did my loan through USAA cause I'm a vet, and they were awesome.

Second, know generally what you want.... how long, engine, deal killers, gotta haves...

Third, negotiate over the phone.. a dealers worse nightmare.

Trust me when I say, dealers are DESPERATE to move RV's... there are thousands of them , and they all all sitting on expensive dealer floorplans.

OH ANOTHE TRICK< get the vin and type it into google.... you will see EVERYWHERE the dealer has listed it..... if they listed it on eBay 4 months ago, guess what... they are paying interest to have it sitting there... give them a cash offer over your loan and walk if they don't take it.. who cares.

IF you find the coach you LOVE, your wife LOVES, AND you like the dealer.. negotiate a little and just buy it.... trust me, it's worth saving the stress on your heart.

Have a comparable coach for less, and run it against them.

A buddy told me his story.... he was searching around and saw a coach for 169k. he called and asked, what's your best price. They said 139k. He said dood, there's a coach just like this nearby for 5K less. the dealer dropped 5k. So he asked "What's wrong with the coach if you're so willing to dump the price?????" The dealer was confused (happens easy), so he waits 8 days and calls back and says, gimme your best cash price... and they said 89k, he dropped a downpayment, and drove and picked it up.

trust me when I say dealers wanna dump the things into our hands.

when you're not there in person, they can't emotionally check you, and get you all excited and all that jazz. The coach I just bought was literally 10 minutes away, but I negotiated over the phone before showing up and signing anything.

OH and one other thing,,,,,, patience sucks! I'm the most impatient person you will ever meet, and it's hard to tell yourself.. slllooow downnn.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
We recently sold our MH and during the process we had a couple of people take the time to "educate" us about the "real" price of our MH, A couple of folks were even kind enough to leave us there name & contact info so that we could call them when we came to our senses and reduced our price! They were such nice knowledgeable folk ....and I don't want to appear ungrateful or unappreciative of their free advice....so I keep wondering if I should call them and let them know how lucky we were to sell the MH at many thousands $$$$ more than they offered? They are probably sitting by the phone waiting for my call & I feel bad about disappointing them....maybe I'll call them tomorrow.
I love this . Been there a few times myself.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #36

Interweb research is your best friend. Know what you want and how much $$ you have to play with. Better deals can be had on private sales or sometimes as in our case off a consignment lot at a dealership.

We were always on the lookout for an "upgrade" so while traveling through wash state on our way to montana we stopped in to "look". well when they offered us $10k over what we paid for our trade in on a coach on the consignment lot that was a "owner has medical issues " for sale kinda thing it was almost a done deal as it brought the price down to a "to good to be true" deal. So sometimes it's just a timing, right place, right time thing too.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #37

I spent 3 years doing research by going to all RV shows I could. I made a list of must haves to include length, Cummins Diesel, Allison transmission, minimum 425 HP, maximum price I could afford, etc. I also researched NADA and RV Trader as well as multiple "for sale" sights so I understood the realistic price of what I wanted. All that said, never feel like that is the only RV you will be able to buy. There are a lot of RVs. Take your time and understand the rig you are contemplating buying and there are a lot of people will to give you input or answer questions. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #38
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I researched the various RV forums for previous buyers and what the maximum percent off of MSRP I could expect and what dealers have sold at the maximum discount.

I emailed about 7 dealers and about 4 replied.

I ended up buying at an additional 1/2% percent off their "final" offer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iquailhunter View Post
I owned a car dealership in another life and we had a saying " The definition of a GOOD DEAL----is if you think you got one."

We had folks that we would make several thousand dollars on, but if they were happy with the deal when they left we never had a problem with them. On the other hand, we had folks that beat us down to a hundred dollar profit but if they thought they left .50 cents on the table we couldn't make them happy.

Find the unit you want---figure out what you can pay for it and still be happy with the price----know that figure and stick to it----if it doesn't work ----go back to step one. Bottom line, pay what you are comfortable/happy with for the unit you want and then don't listen to anyone but the guy in the mirror.

Life is to short----buy what you want and be happy.
Current car dealer here. Couldn't agree more. Buy value (place,price,people) not just how much money it costs.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I researched the various RV forums for previous buyers and what the maximum percent off of MSRP I could expect ....
And what was that maximum off MSRP?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #41

Have read through this entire thread and one constant is... Folks say to "Do your Homework!"

What exactly does this mean?

If I hit NADA, EBay and RVTrader looking for comps, have done my home work?

What all did you folks do to feel you had sufficiently "Done your Homework."

Please be specific.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Have read through this entire thread and one constant is... Folks say to "Do your Homework!" What exactly does this mean? If I hit NADA, EBay and RVTrader looking for comps, have done my home work? What all did you folks do to feel you had sufficiently "Done your Homework." Please be specific. Thanks.
The biggest thing I can contribute is you must have some common sense. If NADA or RVTrader or EBay are all falling within a reasonable range of prices for an 'average conditionMH and you run into one that is pristine on the motor and totally used up on the coach common sense will tell you that is not average condition if it is only a few years old. To me, do you homework equates to common sense. If it look too good to be true, it probably is. No dealer is going to take much or any of a beating unless his common sense tells him he has an albatross he needs to move and then he will cut his losses. Dealers usually provide service after the sale whereas a private seller does not which is why you usually buy it cheaper expecting to take care of what it will need and hoping it isn't too much. In the end, you need use common sense before you write the check. This my thoughts in a nutshell without writing a book.

Alan