Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Timing was key from our stand-point. We were a couple of weeks after the largest regional RV show and there were lots of trade-ins available. We were able to negotiate a "wholesale" purchase of a used coach because they had more inventory than they could handle. We built a relationship with a salesperson and he kept us in the loop when inventory came in. We actually were at the dealership when the owners brought it in to exchange for their new coach. I actually followed them into the lot when they parked it to transfer their personal belongings from one coach to the other. We were the first to see it and put an offer and deposit down immediately. I'm sure they still made a profit but we bought the coach significantly below market. $35,000 below NADA Book and $25,000 below lowest priced comp we could find for sale anywhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In addition to what everyone else is telling you... be willing to TRAVEL to get your coach, particularly if you are buying new (a 2014 XYZ with options ABC is the same thing all over the country). It's a www world nowadays, so use the web to locate the best deals and fly or drive to it after you agree on the price. Also--buy your last coach first so that you don't take a hit when you want to trade up or down within a year! Finally, if you are buying new, try to get one that's been sitting on the lot for long enough to make the dealer itchy. (but also be weary of proper lot maintenance on things like the batteries...)

Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Never buy from a dealer, always buy used. Seems counter-intuitive but you'll get a better coach that has less problems than a new one. Let the first owner(s) take the depreciation hit and fix the problems.

And always pay cash if you can.

IMO. Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
In addition to what everyone else is telling you... be willing to TRAVEL to get your coach, particularly if you are buying new (a 2014 XYZ with options ABC is the same thing all over the country). It's a www world nowadays, so use the web to locate the best deals and fly or drive to it after you agree on the price. Also--buy your last coach first so that you don't take a hit when you want to trade up or down within a year! Finally, if you are buying new, try to get one that's been sitting on the lot for long enough to make the dealer itchy. (but also be weary of proper lot maintenance on things like the batteries...)
I am in agreement that there are a lot of dealer options (and equipment) the further you cast your net. The concern is that people end up allienating the local service provider (who missed out on the sale), and who you are now dependent upon to give you good waranty service. I don't get the impression that the manufacturers hold their dealer network to a high service expectation for non-buying customers. Maybe I've got this wrong, or over-reacting to a few bad stories. Has anyone had experience with the external buy, but local service scenario?
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #61

Was fooling around on the computer at RV sites and this RV popped up. It was on consignment. I was not really interested in buying a different RV, but this one had everything on our list plus some other things that weren't. I put a ridiculous low bid in thinking it was a good place to start and negotiate from. After two days of not hearing anything I figured it was sold or they were not interested. On the third day I received a call asking when I wanted to pick it up. Later found out that the husband had some medical problems and wife had to do everything . When they were told of our bid the wife said take it and that is how we bought our new RV. Guess you could say I was in the right spot at the right time.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Please share your experiences on how you got such a great deal.
I've bought, sold and traded many wheeled vehicles . . . I don't think I ever really got a great deal!

No BS.

My fuel mileage is never as good as most purport, either.

I feel good about being honest about it all, though.

Remember, money is just a tool . . . just use it to make your life better. No magic, really.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
It's 2009
Monaco files for bankruptcy
DW and I have a 2006 Monaco Knight
We're happy with coach but happen to see new a new 2008 Camelot on dealers lot
Monaco coaches are not exactly selling like hot cakes thanks to recession and the bankruptcy.

We really like this Camelot, so how to get the best price?

We're offering about 60% of list

Dealers at 75%

We're too far apart

I find what appears to be the same coach listed on line at another dealership 200 miles up the road

Two problems

The other coach does not have all the options we want and it's marked "sold"

The price is real good, about 55 % of list

I hit the print button on my computer and printed out the listing

I noticed the printout didn't say anything about that coach being Sold

Went back to the dealer and showed him the competitive listing

He said "dang it, we knew about that coach, guess we need to sharpen our pencil"

They did that and we got the deal done on our terms

Since they never told me about that other coach I forgot to tell them it was sold
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #64

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I've bought, sold and traded many wheeled vehicles . . . I don't think I ever really got a great deal!

No BS.

My fuel mileage is never as good as most purport, either.

I feel good about being honest about it all, though.

Remember, money is just a tool . . . just use it to make your life better. No magic, really.
Warren:

I like your attitude and outlook on life.

FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's what I have learned. Never bought an RV from a dealer, but have purchased cars, boats, etc... I learned this method back in the late 1970s from an old road war horse who put 100,000+ miles per year on his car.

Get to the final price negotiation for the item (car, boat, RV, house etc....) Pull ONE single check out of your pocket--not a checkbook. Tell him you brought ONE check. Then ask the saleman how he wants the check filled out. Fill out date, dealership name, and SIGN it.
Make a big deal out of signing it. Leave the amount blank. Hand him the check.

"OK, so go talk to your manager and you two figure out the best price you can give me that will make me want to buy it. Write the amount on the check and bring it back to me. If I like it, we have a deal. If not, I tear it up and leave."

Of course, you have to have figured out what you are willing to pay beforehand.
This really worked great for me when I bought a 1999 Chrysler 300M, but that's another story.........

Frank
Mr. LeMans
Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #66

I think I got a good deal from a rv show... First, I got a copy of the Kelley Blue Book from my neighbor, (sales manager for a GM dealership), so I had a good idea of the recommended wholesale price.

When I found what I wanted, I checked the book price, (don't let them know you have the book, they'll probably throw you off the lot.

I offered them 7500 over book, which I was suggested to do by my friend, and I feel that is a fair profit for the dealer.

Of course, they first said no way, so I left.
Couple days later I got the call... Long story short, I got the coach at half of msrp, (it was two years old) and over 20000 under their asking price...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #67

Some of these will be semi repeats of others:

-We pulled our Retirement Rig Purchase up by two years, due to the economy forcing the fire sell of so many nice coaches.
-Prices were down about 25-35% dependent on rig
-We kept our same budget ranges, and bought quite a bit more coach then we had expected. We also retained funds for 'Baseline Maintenance and Making It Ours' in our budget, as well as a 'Contingency Fund' (that we've retained to this day, and added a bit too) for just in case.
-We had made a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's, weighted points for these items. We also each had five items that we could reward up to 5 added points - so that items that were very important to us would be factored. (DW wanted large galley, so + 5 points. I wanted Tag's, so 5 points. Etc.)
-We had narrowed down our target manufacturers, models and years.
I looked by myself for over 6 months, no luck.
-I then went in and started a relationship with a professional Salesman. (I asked on RV.Net for input, and three names in the West came up over and over. Steve Wilson was in my then hometown of San Diego at Holland Motors.)
-I scheduled a Meet & Greet with Steve, took in my list of coaches and our summarized Must Have's and Nice to Have's. I was asking this professional to be our representative in helping locate a coach.
-Good, honest (they exist) professional salesman, know of coaches available or coming available that you will never see on a For Sale site. (From someone coming in to trade up/down to a different coach. From someone whom maybe thinking of selling, and had called for advice. For coaches being sold from an Estate, where they were contacted to provide appraisal values. Etc.)
-The coach we bought, was one that Steve knew about that was just coming in on consignment. Holland Motors had sold this coach new to the owner. He had to get out from under, due to business being slow.

OK, so the final. Was the 'right deal' for us. Though it was for sure lower then it would have been before the economy dropped, it was not a 'killer deal'. It was a 'fair deal'. And you know what, I think the fact that it was we feel the 'right deal' for us - is what really matters. My message here, is look past the pure economics. Buying a coach that is right for you, is much more important getting 'the best possible deal'.

On a few other items:
-On a used coach that you may have. Sell it yourself first, consignment second trade it in third.
-If buying used, from owner or dealer. Pay for a full PDI, and do pull oil and trans samples.
-Negotiate things you may want added if buying from a reputable dealer, as part of the total deal. New tires, new belts and hoses, change out of interior items, if a Norcold 1200 - change to Amish Cooling Unit or Residential based upon what you want, upgrade to LCD TV's, HD Dish, etc. etc. -- Do this all up front, and part of the 'package deal' out the door. You'll have the most leverage to get discounts on shop rates and parts at say 5% over costs while 'Closing the Deal'. All of your leverage to get lower prices for these items, are over - once you sing the contract!

Go slow, have fun,
Smitty
Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #68

I watched our coach on ebay for several months never being purchased. The original owner started at 140k which is what any dealer would have been asking for 400hp 2005 40DST (bath and a half) Monaco Diplomat with 32k miles and fresh annual service. This was spring 2013 and like I said it started at 140k and was now 100k when I decided to phone them. I asked what the would do if it didn't sell for the 100k, their reply was he was selling it for his father and was positive the 100k was the bottom. The ebay auction ended without selling so I called back and asked what was the best price the would put on the coach and the reply was still the 100k and he said what did I want to give; I told him I didn't wand to insult him. He then said go ahead with the offer so I said we would give 80k at which time he chuckled and said no way, and then we said our goodbyes'. I was home by myself waiting for my wife to get home she was a month away from retirement. Then about 20 minuets after I got off the phone about the motor home they called me. He said that he told his dad about our conversation and my offer, at which time his dad told him to call me back and tell us he would take the 80k offer. We looked at it that week end and it was just what we wanted, they held it until our house closed which kept us from borrowing money. I don't know if it was any craft of mine but if your are willing to wait and not afraid to make a ridiculous offer there are deals out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4056.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	59422  
Old 03-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
re: but if your are willing to wait and not afraid to make a ridiculous offer there are deals out there.
==========================================

If you are willing to walk away from a deal, you will be a winner and get what you want at the price you want.

After 35 years in retail sales I can guarantee you this. After I finish my presentation and ask the customer to buy, I SHUT UP. No matter how uncomfortable or long the silence, I just sit there and wait for the buyer to respond. He usually does, and then he buys.

Frank
Mr LeMans
Old 04-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #70

National RV Owners Club
We purchased our motorhome in Feb. There was not another person on the lot when we were looking. We really only looked at it because we had never seen a National and wondered what it looked like. We also drove an hour or two from our area. There were very few dealers close to us, and we figured if we went a couple hours away there were quite a few. So maybe competition played to our favor. But to be honest, we think Feb was the reason we ended up with, what we consider, a deal. Can't say I would do it again through a dealership....such a pain getting small fixes completed before we took position. We had also done a lot of homework on the internet. We had been looking non stop at listings for a month or 6 weeks before we stepped on a dealership lot. So we had an idea of how much we could afford and what we thought we could get for that money.

RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote