Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

How do I determine new fridge size w/o removing old one?

Hello,

I want to replace the fridge in the rv but I don't know what size fridge will fit in the space. I realize that a residential fridge will be larger (yay) but I don't know how much space is behind the old one. I also realize that there is some wood/trim that can be cut out to enlarge the existing hole.

FYI we just bought our first rv and this is the first time reno'ing an rv too. Thanks for your input.

Beth
rimfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #2

WELCOME!

What is the Brand/Model of current fridge??

Proper installation of an absorption fridge should have very little excess clearances around the fridge itself
0" Clearances TOP/Bottom and Sides
2" MAX (preferably less) Clearance at the back of fridge

Some things to consider
Is anything mounted beneath fridge ie: furnace etc
Is area above fridge an empty area

Is fridge in a slideout

Also WHAT RV is this.year/brand/model

Better responses can be posted with that info provided
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I just used a yard stick and a tape measure for the current refer.....

Then open the outside refer vent and measure the vacant space.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Here are some pics. Its a 2008 Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter. Sorry about the orientation of the pics, that's not how they were taken or downloaded from my iphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DKi1pm0kRH6k156j+O2MIA.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	239127   Click image for larger version

Name:	YcBgI69PS9Wa3dqEnH0XPg.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	239128  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bplas2vgTd25AN927ZqNwQ.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	239129   Click image for larger version

Name:	L6z9cGwfRUajW+CJSDKjxQ.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	239130  

Old 03-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I just used a yard stick and a tape measure for the current refer.....

Then open the outside refer vent and measure the vacant space.

That could be useful! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

And, how does one "plug it in"? Would I wire it in or is there a outlet back in there?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Should have an outlet, if you remove refrigerator exterior vent cover you should see it.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Can you just post Brand/Model and if in slide out?

And WHAT RV it is?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #9

Look up the specs for the fridge using the model number.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looking up the specs for your fridge shows the Dimensions: 59-15/16 x 23-11/16 x 24 which is the same as my old fridge before I replaced it.

There are several residential refrigerators that are close to that. I decided on a Frigidaire FFTR1022QB which has been discontinued and replaced by Model # FFET1022UB.

I did a ton of research before replacing my Norcold RV refrigerator and this one came out #1 by far. If you plan to make the conversion, there are some issues.
1. These fridges are not built-ins and will require clearance for air circulation. The Frigidaire needs only an inch on either side, which is probably all you'll have anyway. The back only requires 2" clearance. Other brands wanted far more. Don't be tempted to skip that. The sides get warm, so no doubt that's where the coils are located. They do call for 12" on top, which is impossible for a MH. Instead I installed fans (see #2 below).
2. Operating temperature. Other brands I looked at said their fridge wouldn't operate below 60 or above 90 degrees, and warned against using in a garage. No such restriction on the Frigidaire. Just keep it between 10 and 110 degrees, per the manual.
3. It fit my existing opening with only minor modification.

Installation:
1. I installed a separate 120v outlet (taped into existing outlet behind fridge) on a switch so that I could easily turn the unit off when not needed without going outside to pull the plug (some units do not have an on/off switch).
2. I chose not to seal off the existing outside openings. I put a screen on the lower opening and installed 3ea. 12v fans in the upper vent to assure good air circulation. I used the 12v wiring from the old Norcold and put the fans on a separate switch.
3. In the back, I anchored the unit by putting 2 lag bolts through the bottom metal rails of the refrigerator into the flooring.
4. Inside, I attached (using 3M Scotch 4910 VHB Tape 2 sided tape) 2 metal brackets to the top of the refrigerator and then screwed these to the wood above the refrigerator. I then trimmed around the perimeter of the fridge with black plastic L channel which I purchased from Display Products online ( Extrusions by Display Products Online ). This can be purchased with the tape already attached.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

There isn't any space behind the old one except what you can see from the outer access door. The back wall you see from outside is actually the back of the fridge.

Mine was on a raised platform (a furnace underneath) so I was able to run a tape measure from the front (interior) to the outer wall - that was the space I had.

Remember, though, that a residential fridge requires space around the back for air circulation, typically 1-2 inches. A few require it on the sides as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge