Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #1

How do I pick the correct LED replacement bulb?

I want to replace some of the bulbs with LED's, but how do I decide which one to choose? I can't find any number on the current bulbs, and there are several options available (including different lumen amounts).
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

Your owners manual should tell you what sizes are in your coach.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
I want to replace some of the bulbs with LED's, but how do I decide which one to choose? I can't find any number on the current bulbs, and there are several options available (including different lumen amounts).

If you post a picture of the bulb or different bulbs, I'm sure many people here can tell you what number they are.

If other tip is one LEDs are different shades of white called color and different brightness called lumens. With that said, go to Lowes or Home Depot as they usually have a display showing each.

When you decide, only buy a few, try hem before you buy the rest. That why if you don't like them, you are not holding a bunch of the wrong bulbs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Hello Bob,

If your own RV manual doesn't reference their type, then another way of doing this is by taking visual inventory of the light bulbs and compare the connector type and bulb shape type against a chart. Many to be found online under automotive or RV light bulb types.

Besides the type, is also important to select the right light color/lumens.

I bought mine on eBay from this seller over a year ago. I replaced all interior, storage bays, and exterior bulbs, except running or marker lights. I also selected bulbs that had voltage tolerance built in.
I didn't pay a premium. All made in China and still working great. More importantly, they hardly get warm.

To avoid wasting my money, I did a little research around the forums and learned to pay attention to the light color, or color temperature of the bulb as described in the Kelvin scales. LEDs are made to match the color of incandescent bulbs at 2700-3000K (Warm/Yellow, I used these on most fixtures). If you prefer a whiter light, look for bulbs marked 3500-4100K. For bluer white light, look for bulbs marked 5000-6500K. These last ones hurt my vision but are great for (IMHO) indirect light such as the bulbs under the microwave illuminating the stove, inside the storage compartments or the hook up areas. The warmer LED bulbs were not bright enough for me in these applications so I went with the whiter/bluer for indirect applications.

Here are some other sources on eBay to choose from.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can not figure out the number of your current lamps you have two or three choices.
1: Photograph and post
2: Remove to auto-zone (et-al) and compare
3: look it up on net.

Some common lamps are the bayonet type 1141/1156 Single contact bayonet around 1/2 inch diamater base Push in, turn slightly to lock or push in turn to release pull out. NOTE: 1156 may be too hot for your fixtures.. (This won't affect LED replacement, go for 1156 LED replacements, Most are not as bright as a genuine 1156 but do match a 1121 nicely)

The next is a wedge base such as a 912 Like the 1141/56 most LED replacements for this type of lamp will list a 912 in their list.

Next we have the dual pin landscaping lamp. This lamp has two pins that plug into a socket.. i do not have a number handy. but a quick search finds it's called a G-4 2 pin such as the HLX 20. I actually replace thise 10 watt lamps with 1156-alikes but the assembly has pins and no base adapter.

The next thing you need to pay attention to is color temp.. Now I like Cool White (Which is white to me) not warm White (yellowish) but some folks disagree with me.. You need to get the color YOU like best.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

Once you determine the socket and LED color you like, you can get the same LED brightness as your current bulbs by getting about 70% of current lumens. 100 lumens old, about 70 lumens (+/-) in LED.
I got equal lumens and nearly blinded myself!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Your owners manual should tell you what sizes are in your coach.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #8

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've already identified the base types--wedge and G4--just can't figure out how to match the current brightness. Some sellers only give the number of LED's, others give lumens, but I can't tell how these equate to my current bulbs. I'll keep researching.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

http://www.bulbs.com/Halogen_Bulbs/1...e/results.aspx
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've already identified the base types--wedge and G4--just can't figure out how to match the current brightness. Some sellers only give the number of LED's, others give lumens, but I can't tell how these equate to my current bulbs. I'll keep researching.
Hi Bob,

Yes, unfortunately some online vendors don't add the important spec details to the product description and it makes it a real PITA to sort this out. If the relevant information was missing I simply skipped that

Here are a couple of sources with some visuals that may be helpful to compare Kelvin vs Lumens

Site1

Site2

The brightness preference is highly subjective but very important. I ordered 2 of each in the 3 ranges I described earlier to determine which one I liked and then ordered in volume. I recommend you do the same. The bulbs are not that expensive.

Good luck!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

This cross-reference sheet at rvledbulbs.com is helpful - it shows led bulbs that can be substituted for incandescents, and pictures the bulb so you can see the type of base it has. They also have a chart that identifies the type of base each numbered bulb has, e.g. an 1141 is a single contact bayonet base.

https://www.rvledbulbs.com/v/vspfile...spring2011.pdf

https://www.rvledbulbs.com/v/vspfile...scentbulbs.pdf

The basic RV light fixtures will have sockets for the Single Contact Bayonet style bulb base. You can use any Led that has that base, but the brightness (lumens) and color temperature (K) can be chosen according to your preferences. You didn't have that choice with the old incandescent bulbs, so it can be a bit daunting at first.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #12

Thanks again to everyone, especially Julius and Gary, for the advice and websites. I think I've got it figured out.

Tags
ace, led, replace, replacement