Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

Just returned from a 4225 mile round trip SW Florida to Colorado Springs and back. I am absolutely amazed that my Fleetwood Fiesta 26Q on the Workhorse P32 chassis didn't just fall apart from the continual pounding of the highways that are generally worse than even the gravel roads of 50 to 60 years ago. Interstate highways are in deplorable condition almost everywhere. The best was I70 in Colorado and Kansas everthing else was well past usable.
I decided that I was going to beat the gas companies at their own game so I drove very conservatively, never over 62 mph and usually under 60. My overall mileage was right at 11 mpg, not bad for a class A that is sarcastically referred to as "Entry Level".
I had no problems, towed a dolly empty going and with a car coming back.
But Oh would it be nice if the roads were in good shape. Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #2

Just returned from a 4225 mile round trip SW Florida to Colorado Springs and back. I am absolutely amazed that my Fleetwood Fiesta 26Q on the Workhorse P32 chassis didn't just fall apart from the continual pounding of the highways that are generally worse than even the gravel roads of 50 to 60 years ago. Interstate highways are in deplorable condition almost everywhere. The best was I70 in Colorado and Kansas everthing else was well past usable.
I decided that I was going to beat the gas companies at their own game so I drove very conservatively, never over 62 mph and usually under 60. My overall mileage was right at 11 mpg, not bad for a class A that is sarcastically referred to as "Entry Level".
I had no problems, towed a dolly empty going and with a car coming back.
But Oh would it be nice if the roads were in good shape. Bob

Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You're right Bob, most Interstates are beat to death from heavy truck traffic. Have you noticed at times there will be signs notifying truckers to use the inside lane. The DOT's are doing this to give the right lane a break and beat up the left lane so when they do resurface they will both be about the same.

This is also why we typically travel on the old highways (when practical). Most of them are in excellent shape and the scenery is a lot better too.

Don't worry about what you hear about "Entry Level." I've also heard the Fleetwood, in general, builds "Entry Level". Funny, some say this, apparently they've never priced or checked the quality of American Eagle Coaches.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #4

I agree the interstates are deplorable, where does all that gas tax money go? One of things I hate, as I drive across country on Interstates, is when construction is going on, they narrow the two lanes to the point they are an unsafe width. Truckers will pass you anyway, this can cause some heart stopping moments. I would rather see them make just one wide lane and enforce the speed limit. None of us are going be more than a hour later where ever we are headed. Arrive alive.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year, our trip from Fl to NM was largely over US highways. It struck me that the overall ride was much better than the interstates.

This year we used the interstate system. We will be going home via US highways.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #6

there is a section on I-90 in Minnesota that was like a washboard! We will be traveling back over that this summer when we head out to Yellowstone. I figure on losing over 10lbs just by the shaking...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:07 AM   #7

It is better to slow down and take the US Highways. It saves a little fuel and you're not being blown off the road by the fast traffic.
Just love to go thru those little towns with the old buildings and houses.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Route 66 baby!

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #9

Bob, I know what you mean about the interstates. Even some fairly good interstates have the concrete seams that can turn the MH in to a rocking horse. The worst I have seen is I 10 at New Orleans and west to Texas. I refuse to take that again for quite a while. The MHs do hold up and I have cringed many times but have not had a problem. I also have an entry level MH and I laugh my head off about it and wonder what am I missing? I can SEE the difference when I tour the MHs of friends which are palacial in comparison, but I have virtually all the functions and enjoy the heck out of mine. It is paid for and I don't have the worry of owning something that seems like it costs too much.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #10

J Walker-- Nice post, it is nice to read a post that is written by some one who knows who he is.
You like your M/H, it's paid for, your satisfied with it. You will not feel like it ate your lunch when you sell, if you do. A box full of bells and whistles will not make the trip any more of an adventure. It's attitude.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The US should learn to follow Germany. In the 30's the Germans built the Autoban with 24 inch thick concrete paving. After almost 80 years they still have a great road way. US highways never have more than 12" paving. 80000 lb trucks bet the paving to pieces.

Stay off the interstates and enjoy the country.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #12

JWalker and all, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this has been an interesting discussion. I, like jwalker, am pleased with what I have. I know for 4 or 5 times the amount I paid that I could have air suspension which masks the rough roads to some degree. I could also have slides and more room and get 6 to 8 mpg, but my MH sits for about a total of 11 months spread over a years time. I also enjoy using my sailboat. Everyone makes choices based on wants and needs and personal practicality.
So now back to the highway condition, it would be great if we could actually have a voice in road repairs and upkeep, but I guess we don't. I always thought gas tax paid for roads but it seems like governmet must have figured out a way to redirect the funds. And since the very heavy trucks are what causes the majority of problems, guess who should be paying.
Thanks all.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
In most states the gas tax goes into the general fund and it is then up to the legislature to alocate the money to roads. This pracise even effects the amount that states get from the Feds as the Feds require matching funds for most Interstate and Federal highway projects.

Most taxpayers are impressed with new highways and interstates and don't pay attention to fund alocations for maintenance.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #14

Here in Hampton, VA where I live, they just finished overhauling a section of I-64. It is by far the worst section of "new" road I have ever ridden on. You actually cannot tell if your tires are flat or the road that bad. Experience shows the road is that bad.
I too drive an older Class A and am extremely happy with it. Sure I want a newer one with slides and such but, the price is right. It runs and rides great and I will live with it for a few years more. 9+ mpg most of the time.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote