RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #57

I didn't read all of the posts so it may already be listed but Sea Foam Bugs-B-Gone is also some awesome stuff. Mix it with water, spray it on, let it sit for a minute or so, bugs wipe right off with a wet towel. Also works good as a pre soak for a wash job on the front cap and windshield. Wet the cap and windshield first, then apply the bugs-b-gone, then wash as usual. I should mention that I polished the cap and windshield with Meguires ultimate polish then applied rejex a couple times a year. The rejex is way better than Rain-x on the windshield. You really hardly ever need the wipers unless it is raining hard.

OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #58

I use a good gel coat RV wash with wax or Dawn dishing washing soap mixed with water in a spray bottle and a soft bristle extendable brush.

Harricat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #59

I use 15 year old.

-Kevin
Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #60

Nufinish polish works great at removing bug guts on painted area's best . Also polishes at the same time. Been using for more than 30 yrs.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Steel wool on the windshield will do a great job and good coat of Gel-Gloss on the front cap to start
When using steel wool on any glass, use 0000 otherwise anything coarser will scratch. I followup with Invisible Glass on Rain X.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
I use 15 year old.

-Kevin

That would work the best, but can't get the 15yr old grandson to go with us anymore.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Nufinish polish works great at removing bug guts on painted area's best . Also polishes at the same time. Been using for more than 30 yrs.
I was wondering to myself if Rejex wasn't a new version of NuFinish. I haven't used it in some time but Rejex looks and smells a lot like NuFinish to me.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #64

I use this on my RV, truck & wife's van

http://garageonepro.com/product/gara...peed-wax-32oz/

Garage One Pro Speed Wax (32oz)
You can use it in the beat down sun & heat & works with very little rubbing. It also puts a glass like finish & you do not need to pre wash RV if it has normal dirt on it.
Mike
siammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #65

I live in bug heaven, there has been times that I had to use the wipers just to see out the windshield because of bugs. No, not a long build up. In the span of less than a half hour. I use two rags and a small bucket of very hot water. Apply the hot water let soak for a bit ( 1 or 2 min. ) lightly wipe off the easy stuff. Then repeat, the hot water will loosen them up enough to get them off. Depending on what kind of bug and how long its been on there dictates how many hot water baths you have to give them. Anytime I have to pull over for fuel or pictures or any other reason I give them a little bath and a quick wipe down. At the end of the day I do the real clean up. DW thinks Im nuts but it turns a big job into a little one.
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harricat55 View Post
I use a good gel coat RV wash with wax or Dawn dishing washing soap mixed with water in a spray bottle and a soft bristle extendable brush.

I'd go easy on the Dawn to clean anything on the outside of an RV (or car). It is designed to remove grease from dishes and does a superior job. It is also exceptional at removing wax from your vehicle. We use it in prepping a car for painting as the first step in cleaning for new paint. I watched a neighbor work very diligently waxing his new car one weekend and then he washed it the next weekend with Dawn. I didn't catch him in time and he got about 2/3s of the car washed before I noticed the bottle of Dawn. Another day of waxing followed.

I'm with everyone on trying to find an easy, or easier, way of getting bugs off. My 6,000 mile trip from Vegas to Boston and return got a lot of bugs everywhere. A 12' high front end is not an easy thing to wash no matter what. Finding something good (and easy) is worth a bunch in my book.

MrB1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by schools out View Post
We just returned from Florida and the local news did a segment on removing Love Bugs from a vehicle. Apparently, squished love bugs will remove the paint from a vehicle, so, it's news worthy. The new's anchor suggested wiping them off with a damp/wet dryer sheet. It's supposed to work, but. I've not tested it.
My daughters black car was covered with dried love bugs. She is not as particular about car care as i am so i hosed down the front, told her to go in and get a couple of dryer sheets. A few minutes later i just wiped them off, her response was where did you hear about that . My reply was irv2. She was sold.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Steel wool on the windshield will do a great job and good coat of Gel-Gloss on the front cap to start
Just be sure to use 0000 steel wool.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I am about to try Pam on the front cap so the bugs don't stick.
I tried Pam on the front of my Peterbuilt once, a big mistake, as it turned into a caked, baked on mess that was so hard to remove.

I would highly suggest you not to use it.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #70
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairnwalker View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Rain-Ex for prevention?
I believe you're not supposed to use Rain X on paint (windshield only). I have found Rejex to last longer and also good on paint. Bugs do come off easier with Rejex. No side by side tests but I do think Rain X repels water on windshields better it just doesn't see to last long.

jrs is offline   Reply With Quote