Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #43

I leveled with a bullet level on the bottom of the refrigerator one time, then went to walmart and purchased stick on bubble levels put one above drivers door and one on the dash just above the steering collum. First level side to side with rear levelers then front to back with front levelers done. Refreshment time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I wanted to have the bubble level adjustable, so I mounted it with small springs and long screws to my driver side armrest, near the level controller. Leveled the rig with a carpenters level on the floor, checked for no door swing and then adjusted to bubble to center.

Side to side level is critical for no door swing and for the bed, and easier to do as you only have 4 feet between jacks, but front to back is less noticeable and much harder to achieve on rough sites as you have so much more distance between front and rear jacks.

Even with the bubble so far off front to rear, the rig still feels level and the fridge runs fine.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #45
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ole - nice idea...

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
IPad, flat on the floor by drivers seat, with level app
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #47

I read all the your post and I have to throw in my way.. I use a plumb bob.. After leveling up to what I consider perfect. That is manual with levels in all spots in the unit. stove, frig, bed, dash, table. Then on the bigfoot leveling system calibrate that as zero. "level" Then run up all jacks, air up. and then start a auto level cycle. That includes a air dump and a leveling cycle. This is to make sure the system is functioning correctly and returns you to your "zero" position that that you set manual. Now the "plumb bob" comes in. I keep in in the cabinet right above the center of the dash. With a string attached on one end to the inside of the cabinet and the string at the correct length to line up with a small dot on the dash with the bob hanging above the dot it at 1/8 inch. With all that said, when I pull/back in my new spot I simply get the plumb out and let it swing a round. Then it tells me as I move around slowly the most to level position on the site and how far off of level I am. 1/2 inch off the dot is about 2 inches off level. It lets me know if and how much blocking under the tires is going to be needed and which tires. Or if the site will not be usable. Hope this helps someone out..
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could the OP be an April Fool's joke?

Don't believe it is possible to have 5 RV's and not know how to level!
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #49

I use the bottom of my freezer with a level to check. Told by norcold that is the best place to check.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWelch View Post
I use the bottom of my freezer with a level to check. Told by norcold that is the best place to check.
And how level do they say it needs to be? From the Norcold GasAbsorptionRefrigeratorsFAQ:
Quote:
How level must the refrigerator be?

If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, normal leveling of the vehicle is sufficient. The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator).
So, on your 40 foot coach, that means that one end of the coach must be within 24 inches of level compared to the other end, and one side needs to be within 10 inches of level compared to the other side. Those are pretty significant numbers, I'm sure even the OP can feel when his coach is off-level by that amount without using any levels or other devices.

Really, while the refrigerator needs to be reasonably level to operate without causing damage, it's probably the least important leveling criteria: the occupants are far more likely to complain about not being level before the needs of the refrigerator come into play. If you have to use a level to see if you're truly level or not, then you're already level enough for the refrigerator.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't see it so much as a "how to level" issue; it seems to be more of a "how do you know it's level enough" issue.

Some people don't have as sharp of a sense of balance, and can have a hard time sensing an out of level floor. That's independent of the number of RVs you've owned. Just sitting in the driver's seat, I find it hard to tell the fine variations in level, I find it much easier to walk around the coach: that makes it easier to feel a slope. So I don't have to keep hopping up and checking, that's why I use my previously mentioned round bubble level to get close (it's more sensitive than the green "Level" light on the jack controller.) But the final word is DW and her bathroom door swing test...
Old 04-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The thread is to see what everyone uses to find that happy spot. My use of the rv is to move it from job site to job site and then it sits for months at a time. I figure 10 years of leveling like this has to be the limit.

I like the posts indicating to level first and then mount a reference bubble somewhere convenient. The droid bubble level made me slap my forehead, cause I have that app and never thought to use it.
The auto levelers sound like nirvana but are probably best for another rv in the future. Definitely needs to get on the list of must haves though.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
The auto levelers sound like nirvana but are probably best for another rv in the future.
They're OK, if you're not too picky about being level and don't care how high up you have to step up that first step. The auto mode gets it close, but then DW complains that the bathroom door doesn't stay in position, and that first step is too high. I can do better manually, especially on difficult uneven sites. But even when I do auto level, I usually end up switching back to manual mode and tweaking it a bit. (Some of us can't keep their hands off the buttons! )
Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
The problem with using a level is what you are using for a reference point. Put the level on the counter or tabletop - but are these parallel to the floor? Is the floor what you want for a reference? How about the chassis?

I have a 4-way bubble level on the small built-in table over the doghouse and there are levels outside and then the leveling system is automatic. Which is correctly set up? They never all agree. The leveling system seems to agree with the inside 4-way level, but the 4-way level was added by the original owner. I am guessing he looked for a spot that agreed with the levelers.

So find a place to put your level and live with it. It will be close enough for the slides and the refrigerator - and probably more level and plumb than your house.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
AggieDad; Like you we decided what was important to us to be level. Fortunately when our stove is level everything else rest is quite close.