Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #57

When we first got the RV, I bought two of the small adhesive backe bubble levels. Then, with the RV on our driveway, which is close to level, I put a 12" carpenter's level in the bottom of the fridge. Firstly, I tweaked the jacks to get it level from side to side then moved the level to front-back and got that level also.

With the carpenter's level showing the MH level in both axes, I stuck the small bubble levels, with them indicating level, in locations in the fore/aft and side/side axes where I could see them from the driver's seat. That's where the leveler control panel was located.

I only used the auto-level once. It lifted us up so high, we needed a step stool to reach the bottom step in the doorway! That particular vehicle had the four jacks working in pairs. - front two, back two, left side, right side. It rarely took more than a minute or so to get level.

One trick, when you can see the indicators from the driver's seat, is to check site level while still on the wheels and shuffle about a bit to get as close to level as you can before putting the jacks down. We asked for a different site a couple of places we stayed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the floor for my point of reference as it is attached to the chassis and is the foundation for everything else. But use the floor at least a foot behind the doghouse where you have plywood, not metal, which you will find out if you ever redo your floor.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #59

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Push button on dash panel, wait for automatic air leveling to do it's job, then put slides out and check the level again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #60

American Coach Owners Club
This has been a great discussion, because actually, my auto level system quit working. It seems to get through the whole process and feels level, but right at the end, I get a "Low Voltage" message in the level controller. All the jacks work great if I level manually though. Going to get the level from my garage next time too use on the floor of the caoch for now!
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #61

Use a Torpedo level in the bottom of the freezer. The icebox is the most important thing that needs to be level. After you have the trailer completely level install bubble levels on the outside. You can also level you truck with a level in the bed and then install a few small bubble levels inside on dash of truck t help find a level spot easier.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
This has been a great discussion, because actually, my auto level system quit working. It seems to get through the whole process and feels level, but right at the end, I get a "Low Voltage" message in the level controller. All the jacks work great if I level manually though. Going to get the level from my garage next time too use on the floor of the caoch for now!
Tytlfamily I always keep my engine running when leveling or putting out the big slide. Maybe that will cure the "low voltage" message.

Don
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #63

My owner's manual says to turn off engine to level, then turn engine back on to run out the slides? I always feel like a rookie when doing that.

How much can the running engine interfere with the auto levelers? I don't know.

When we first bought the MH, I leveled with the engine running. I did have some really high leveling episodes. It seems to do better now that I am turning off the engine.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
How much can the running engine interfere with the auto levelers? I don't know.
I think you answered your own question:

Quote:
When we first bought the MH, I leveled with the engine running. I did have some really high leveling episodes. It seems to do better now that I am turning off the engine.
Could be that with the engine running, it's pumping up air faster than it can dump the air bags. With the engine off, it can dump the air bags before leveling.

If you don't dump the air bags, you start out higher, so you end up higher.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Could be that with the engine running, it's pumping up air faster than it can dump the air bags. With the engine off, it can dump the air bags before leveling.

If you don't dump the air bags, you start out higher, so you end up higher.
Well, since I have a Workhorse gasser, the only airbag is me - and I hope no one decides I need to be dumped.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Well, since I have a Workhorse gasser, the only airbag is me
LOL! Of course, I wasn't talking to you, but I also hope that nobody decides that you need to be dumped!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #67

I do like pdpreece does! It ain't level until SHE says it is. Hello folks! I am new to this forum, been RVing for about 8 years in a 1995 Damon Intruder. Faded decals & all. Looking for a newer diesel pusher!

Respectfully,
Dreamerman44
Dreamerman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club

Welcome, Dreamerman44!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Laser level, sextant, GPS, and then theodolite. You should see what I use to line up my sat dish.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamerman44 View Post
I do like pdpreece does! It ain't level until SHE says it is. Hello folks! I am new to this forum, been RVing for about 8 years in a 1995 Damon Intruder. Faded decals & all. Looking for a newer diesel pusher!

Respectfully,
Dreamerman44
Welcome to the Forum!

I do it slightly differently. I have a residential reefer ... I back in, walk around, set a glass of water on the table and look at the water ... if it doesn't look wacky ... close enough. I don't use jacks ... didn't use em' on my boats either.