Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you exercise a Genny when your MH is covered

Your supposed to run your genny every 30 days while in storage, with a load. If your MH is covered you can't run your A/C. Not sure how you get them to come on anyway when its 30 degrees out. How can you put a load on when your covered?

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of electric heaters would provide a load. But if the RV is covered, where are the exhaust fumes from the generator going to go?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We have an electric fireplace. I run that and watch a little TV (crummy picture with it's covered)

I figure it isn't much but at least I'm running it.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electric water heater? Make some coffee and toast while you're watching TV. Anything with a resistive load will help.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

If you can't run your GAS generator every month, your next best action is to un-hook the gas line, coming from the tank and stick a plug in it. Start the generator and let it run until it stops. That gets the gas out of the carb. Once it shuts down, you can hook the gas line back up for the next time you use it.

Remember when you go to restart it, it may crank for a longer time to fill the carb., before it starts back up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do it, maybe not as often as they recommend. Just unhook a couple of the straps, pull the cover away from the exhaust, As stated, electric heaters. It also recharges the batteries. BTW I use a creeper/roller to hook/unhook the straps, just glide around under the rig.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I unhook the gas and let it run till it stops. I hook the gas up again when I dewinterize.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Contrary to what everyone else does, for the past 9 seasons we put the coach to bed from late Oct to early May & we don't start or run anything for those 6 months. The last day of cleaning, I'm running the genny under full load for those couple hours it takes me to finish everything. Then that's it. For 4 of those seasons we had an RV cover on it. It would've been too much effort to uncover once every month.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a cover with a doorway zipper...easy to enter the RV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-7.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	78755

I like to visit about every 2 weeks when in storage. Our cover has no contact with the engine or gennie exhaust, and the engine radiator is well behind the grill (8.1L gas) that is open from underneath, so we start the engine, start the gennie, then turn on a TV or 2 and run a DVD, run the electric fireplace, and can run the circulation fans of the aircon (fans only). We have even exersized the leveling jacks.

There is no risk of exhaust entering the coach because the windows and door are shut...plus the exhaust pipes extend beyond the cover.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Contrary to what everyone else does, for the past 9 seasons we put the coach to bed from late Oct to early May & we don't start or run anything for those 6 months. The last day of cleaning, I'm running the genny under full load for those couple hours it takes me to finish everything. Then that's it. For 4 of those seasons we had an RV cover on it. It would've been too much effort to uncover once every month.

Lori-
Same here and we have never had a problem come spring.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well thanks for all the replies. Yes, My gen exhaust is easily exposed by lifting the cover. I will probably use the 2 ceramic heater option to put a load on it. I haven't done this the past 2 years of winter storage, but I will this year. To those that run the Genny dry until spring, I am told the reason for running the Genny is to dry any moisture out the windings. Can't swear to it, but heard it somewhere.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #12

I understand the reason to run the generator every month, but I store my motorhome in central Florida and take my Trawler down to the Keys for the winter. I don't want to take the chance of the gas going bad and gumming up the carb.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote