Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

How do you get the caramel into the bar?

I would like to (1) sanitize our fresh water tank with Bleach & (2) de-scale our hotwater heater with vinegar. My problem is that my water system(s) appear to be "sealed". I get fresh water into my system through a hose connection.

I guess I could get bleach into the fresh water tank by pouring it into a hose and then connecting the hose to a tap and fill the tank... But how do I get around 10 gallons of vinegar into the hot water heater?

Thanks

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Jack and Maggie

Haven't the foggiest!

I just want to thank you- and maybe bump your question to the "active" column- and say that yours is the most ARRESTING THREAD TITLE I've seen here for awhile.

Good luck with your problem, and I'll be looking for your Titles in the future!

Your "Use of The Language" fan,

Francesca

Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a whole house filter on my RV, I remove the filter and then fill with bleach. I then fill the tank and the bleach goes in also. If you don't have a whole house filter on your coach, you can buy a housing and some hose fittings and do the same thing. Not sure how to get vinegar in the water heater.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a guess, but I believe you will have to disconnect the intake hose from the water pump and run another hose from the vinegar jug to the pump. Run the water pump and vinegar will be pumped from the jug to the hwh.

At least, that's what I'd do.

Hope that helps !

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have a whole house filter on my RV, I remove the filter and then fill with bleach. I then fill the tank and the bleach goes in also. If you don't have a whole house filter on your coach, you can buy a housing and some hose fittings and do the same thing. Not sure how to get vinegar in the water heater.
Perfect.... ! Hot water heater looks like it may be a bit more of a problem.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

If you have low point drains on your coach you might be able to open the valve for the hot water and drain the tank. Then pump the vinegar into the tank via the low point drain.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
if you access your HWH from the outside, there will be a drian plug on the bottom, and a pressure release valve on the top,
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a winterizing kit (that you use to pump anti-freeze into your water lines), then you can use it to pump bleach solution into your fresh water tank. Just put your fresh water fill selector to "city water", and then pump bleach solution from a 5 gallon pail the same way you would your anti-freeze (using the water pump). It will pump the solution all around your lines and into your fresh water tank. Did it this year with mine and it worked like a dream.

Fill the rest of your tank with water after that. Your hot water heater should pick up the bleach solution from the fresh water tank provided it is not in the "bypass" position for winterizing.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Or use one of those fertilizer devices with the hose ends built on
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #10

I have a "water heater" in my coach. why do you need to heat hot water.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
I have a "water heater" in my coach. why do you need to heat hot water.
I was wondering the same thing.....

Ken
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #12

Yep, your thread title got my attention right off the bat.

Sanitizing has already been covered well by previous posts.

If I had to get vinegar, any amount, into the water heater, I'd remove the drain plug and get the water our first, then reinstall the drain plug.

Remove the temperature/pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater, it just unscrews, and use a small funnel and rubber tube to pour the vinegar into the tank. Let it sit for awhile and then flush.

Are you sure you want to use 10 gallons of vinegar? Sometimes just flushing the system with some water pressure will get the accumulated scale deposits out.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
KIX

After the vinegar solution sits in the the water heater for several hours remove the drain plug and drain the solution. With the plug still removed you can insert something into the drain hole that uses house water pressure to "float" the lime deposits out of the drain hole. I made up a short length of 3/8" copper tube with a hole drilled into the side of the tube and then connected the apparatus to the house water hose. The small hole (1/4") "blasted" the inside of the tank and "floated" a lot of debris out through the drain plug hole. You may be able to accomplish the same thing using the t & P valve hole.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #14

Many thanks for all the great advice. The bleach solution through my filter "cannister" worked like a dream.

As for the HWH, I will remove the pressure release valve and use a funnel/tube to pour in the vinegar. We have a 10gal Suburban Heater.... How much vinegar do you think I should pour into the tank?