Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Question How do you handle your mail?

We purchased a new Daybreak motorhome to travel from Ohio to Az. to visit our daughter and grandchild in June. We've made 2 trips out and back this year spending a month each time. Our post office will hold mail normally 1 month and with special handling 5 weeks. After that they send it back to the sender. We probably will be on the road longer in the future but to no particular location. What do you do about your mail?

Thanks,
Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Forward it to daughter's house. Stop forwarding a day or two after you're supposed to get home. Leave her a pre-paid folder to send you stuff that passed you while enroute home.

Works for us six months out of the year when we go to Key West.

OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Almost the same with us. We are in FL during the winter months from late Nov. until sometime in April. We turn in to the USPS a mail temporary forwarding form about 2 weeks prior to our leaving with our 'general delivery' address where we will be staying and the time to start forwarding. We put on the form a return date of about a week prior to our return. We just happen to have very nice neighbors that pick up or mail from the mailbox and hold it until we return.

Works for us!

burfurd
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69
We purchased a new Daybreak motorhome to travel from Ohio to Az. to visit our daughter and grandchild in June. We've made 2 trips out and back this year spending a month each time. Our post office will hold mail normally 1 month and with special handling 5 weeks. After that they send it back to the sender. We probably will be on the road longer in the future but to no particular location. What do you do about your mail?

Thanks,
Ed
The Postal Service has a forwarding service that would forward your held mail each week. There is a charge for the service, but you could use it and then hold the rest of your mail until you arrive home. Here is a link to to the USPS website, https://www.usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tried the Postal Service one time and found it very expensive compared to just the plain temporary forwarding. The only difference is you receive your mail daily instead of them putting it in a box and shipping it once a week.

I don't think they forward the junk mail which is a plus!

Burfurd
Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We spend our winters on the Mississippi gulf coast and have the problem solved, I hope. We tried getting a PO box in the town near the RV resort were we stay. The post office screwed that up so bad we never did get some of our mail. So, we asked the resort office if we could have it forwarded to the resort, no problem. So, we have just put in a temp address change to the resort about a week before we leave and cancel it about a week before we leave the resort for home. Seems to work well for us.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We just came off a 4 month trip and now are planning our 6 month trip starting in March.
I got a UPS box at a UPS store. You can call them anytime and ask them what mail you have. They will hold it in your own box until you want it forwarded to any place you are. The service is free. You just pay for shipping your mail on top of the post box fee. I love it. When I'm home. My mail still goes to that PO box and I pick it up whenever I want to. A great service.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #8

When you get mail temporarily forwarded for a few months, does the PO forward magazines? Last winter they only forwarded our magazines the first month. We missed the other two months worth of magazines.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
When you get mail temporarily forwarded for a few months, does the PO forward magazines? Last winter they only forwarded our magazines the first month. We missed the other two months worth of magazines.
You would have to check for the official rules, but I believe the USPS will only forward first class mail after the first month. For us, not getting anything other than first class seems heavenly, but we do not get magazines except for a couple of organizations that have not yet gone digital.

We travel every year for six months, normally parked for a month or so at each location. We tried the post office premium forwarding the first year - it was a disaster. We also used a neighbor one year, but they had an emergency and had to leave, leaving our mail with no one to see to it. We now lease a box at the local UPS store, and do a temporary forward with the USPS to the UPS box. We always do this a few weeks before leaving as many times the post office will not get it right the first time and we need to straighten it out (most often do a permanent forward instead of temporary).

As we travel we have the mail sent from the UPS box to the campground where we are staying - we just email or call UPS and they send the mail when and where we want. If you are going to be at one location all the time, you can probably just have the mail temp forwarded to your location, set to stop before you leave.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use the USPS once a week method. It is shipped on a Wednesday, and we have received the box on a Friday, for several weeks we were staying at my Brother's house, or my Son's house. It was, at the time, $11 a week. They forward EVERYTHING in the USPS box.

Nice thing, there is a Post Office in most all towns, and you can walk in, fill out a form, and change it to another address or put a hold on it.

When we use the method here we work closely with the Post Master. We visit the Post Master before we leave, inform her of what we are doing as a heads up. It's nice to live in a town of 40,000, everyone knows everyone (hee hee!). If we have a problem during travel at another post office not knowing "the procedure" we can give our Post Master a call and she will fill them in. Only had to do that one time.

If we were to have our mail forwarded to a different address every week, we would use one of the RV Mail services. I'm not sure, but I don't think the PO would change the address every week.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
You would have to check for the official rules, but I believe the USPS will only forward first class mail after the first month. For us, not getting anything other than first class seems heavenly, but we do not get magazines except for a couple of organizations that have not yet gone digital.
We get so little junk mail that that isn't an issue with us at all. But we both get magazines like National Geographic and Cat Fancy plus others. I was bitterly disappointed when they failed to send us/forward the magazines.

Quote:
We travel every year for six months, normally parked for a month or so at each location. We tried the post office premium forwarding the first year - it was a disaster. We also used a neighbor one year, but they had an emergency and had to leave, leaving our mail with no one to see to it.
Something like that can happen but we have a daughter who can pick up the mail for us every few days. She stops by the house anyway to check on things and water the tropical houseplants. I would rather do that than miss our magazines but my husband wants mail forwarded. I can't understand why since we get so little mail.

Quote:
We now lease a box at the local UPS store, and do a temporary forward with the USPS to the UPS box. We always do this a few weeks before leaving as many times the post office will not get it right the first time and we need to straighten it out (most often do a permanent forward instead of temporary).
You mean your PO did a permanent when you want a temporary change of address? I looked at the PO website and they make no mention of forwarding magazines.

Quote:
As we travel we have the mail sent from the UPS box to the campground where we are staying - we just email or call UPS and they send the mail when and where we want. If you are going to be at one location all the time, you can probably just have the mail temp forwarded to your location, set to stop before you leave.
Yes, we will be at one location in FL for the 3 months.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We use the USPS once a week method. It is shipped on a Wednesday, and we have received the box on a Friday, for several weeks we were staying at my Brother's house, or my Son's house. It was, at the time, $11 a week. They forward EVERYTHING in the USPS box.

Nice thing, there is a Post Office in most all towns, and you can walk in, fill out a form, and change it to another address or put a hold on it.

When we use the method here we work closely with the Post Master. We visit the Post Master before we leave, inform her of what we are doing as a heads up. It's nice to live in a town of 40,000, everyone knows everyone (hee hee!). If we have a problem during travel at another post office not knowing "the procedure" we can give our Post Master a call and she will fill them in. Only had to do that one time.

If we were to have our mail forwarded to a different address every week, we would use one of the RV Mail services. I'm not sure, but I don't think the PO would change the address every week.

Happy trails.
It is now $64 a month to have mail forwarded. We feel that is a bit outrageous. And no mention of magazines on the PO website. We just want everything forwarded including our magazines and any catalogs. We don't care if it's daily or weekly. The PO clerk who spoke to my husband last year gave him the wrong information concerning magazines and catalogs.

Would they have forwarded your magazines if you had not paid the $11 a week?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
It is now $64 a month to have mail forwarded. We feel that is a bit outrageous. And no mention of magazines on the PO website. We just want everything forwarded including our magazines and any catalogs. We don't care if it's daily or weekly. The PO clerk who spoke to my husband last year gave him the wrong information concerning magazines and catalogs.

Would they have forwarded your magazines if you had not paid the $11 a week?
We have our mail forwarded to the RV resort where we stay. The PO only forwards magazines for a month. All magazines have a circulation telephone number in the front of the magazine. We call the circulation number, ask them to send them to our temp address, they do, done deal. When we get ready to leave, we call them again, have it sent to our home address, done deal.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
We tried the Postal Service one time and found it very expensive compared to just the plain temporary forwarding. The only difference is you receive your mail daily instead of them putting it in a box and shipping it once a week.

I don't think they forward the junk mail which is a plus!

Burfurd
I use FMCA mail forwarding worth every penny and it isn't that expensive

szy is offline   Reply With Quote