RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I am in the process of rigging up a Gen-Turi for both the generator and the Aquahot,
Not only for redirecting the exhausts but to redirect the heat... I camp where fire danger is a real concern during summer..
Yeah, I'll likely be doing the same shortly before I retire, and start spending more time in the coach, sitting in one place.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #16

Well you dont really say why you are heating it. If your living in it during the winter months all of the above. We are in ours and have a large propane tank hooked up via extenda stay, but use mutiple electric heaters. A heat pump will only work until it hits around 40 so its useless if its 20 below zero. The oil filled are ideal for night and is what we have in the bedroom as it seems to heat more evenly. We tried it in the living room but it really didn't help. We have an eden pure in the living room area.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Heat

We use these in this order:

1. When on shore power (and very cold): 2 x 1500 W heaters one in living room, one in bedroom, 1 x 800 W in the basement (keep the water tanks warm) All are oil filled electric heaters, no sound, no smell, no fire. When not so cold, we use one in the living room and keep the bedroom door open. Works well.

2. When not on shore power, Wave 6 Catalytic heater. We installed it on the end of the cabinet wall at the entrance door. Placed an aluminum sheet behind it to reflect any heat (but there is almost none). We tapped into the propane line at the back of the fridge and ran it in the back of the cabinets to the install location. Put this on and it will warm the entire coach and it sips propane very slowly. No flame after you start it. Ceramic heat stones do the work.

3. Always have the propane furnace in the "on" position but the thermostat set to 55/60. That way in really cold situations it can be a backup if needed.

Oh, if on shore power, I run a couple of "shop-lights" in other places in the basement, the water bay and under the hot water heater (which I do not run all night). If no shore power, I have 6 6V AGM's and a 1500 W inverter in which I plug (several installed plugs in the coach from the inverter) the shop lights in the basement to ensure I dont have an expensive night with ice (Scotch not included).

My $0.02....
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #18

First, we generally follow warmer weather. We are currently in Las Vegas and the lows have been in the upper 40's and now falling to the low 50's.

Our heating choices are:
-Diesel fired Espar furnace (83,000 BTU unit).
-Heated floors (four zones).
-Two electric toe-kick heaters (one in the living area, one in the rear bath)
-Four roof-top heat pumps

So, we have choices. The heated floors maintain cool nights very well. In severe cold weather, it will be the diesel fired furnace!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #19

Wow .... 7 posts since 2010.

Prevost right?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #20

For our fifth wheel, I usually use space heaters. For Jan 2018 in Gulf Shores, Al we used $66/elec at $.11 cents/kw and we had about 1/2 the nights get into the 30's. On nights it got into the low 20's, I also used a shop light near the water pump for extra caution. I find elec. to be much cheaper than propane, especially when the furnace is used to heat the storage areas. Now temp into the teens would require some storage area heat.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #21

Go south

Heat, A/C what’s that?

I always said if you needed heat or A/C you were camping in the wrong place. When I was working I found that staying in an RV was better than a hotel even when on expense account. My manager liked it too.

A summer near Tulsa and winter in Idaho Falls is camping in the wrong place.

Now that we are retired things are different. Our low this year so far is 33F.

Order of heating:

Sweat shirt
Boiling water to make coffee
Electric blanket

Did test the propane furnace just in case.

We have a couple of cheap outdoor/indoor thermometers from Walmart. One is kept basement compartment with the water pump. With the furnace on, it stays above freezing down to 22F outside. With a work light, good to 18F. Below that we have not had to find out.

The lesson being go south earlier.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #22

Since I'm generally paying for the electricity and don't have to go somewhere to fill a propane or diesel tank I use electric as much as possible - aqua hot (electric), fireplece, heat pumps (down to 40F). If the temps drop really low I will add the diesel burner of the aqua hot.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Wow .... 7 posts since 2010.

Prevost right?
LOL! Yep, been on another site, time for something new!

Yes, the coach is a Prevost Liberty Coach.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #24

If we are connected to electricity, we first use the heat pump. If it gets too cold, we use the propane heater on low and then electric heaters. The propane heaters will keep things from freezing in the basement and the electric heaters will keep us warm.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
LOL! Yep, been on another site, time for something new!

Yes, the coach is a Prevost Liberty Coach.

Safe travels,
Mark
Ever run the 4 HP/ AC's at the same time?

Should take a pretty good bite out of a 50A service.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Ever run the 4 HP/ AC's at the same time?

Should take a pretty good bite out of a 50A service.
Honestly, I have never used the heat pumps at all since new (2015 coach). The heated floors and/or the toe-kick heaters are plenty for the 'cold' that we are ever in.

Even in the summer, 3 A/C units are plenty for good cooling. Having four just gives us an option if one goes out. These units are built for redundancy.

And yes, in the summer if I want to use all four roof air units (13,500 btu's), I do have to watch my electric usage. I have run all four just to see how cold I could get it and it will freeze you out.

Take care,
Mark

Tags
heat