RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Angry How do you know if you got a Lemon ?

We bought a used 2012 Phaeton, we have spent at least 2 months in repairs shops since buying it, almost a year ago, do you think this is normal, spent a lot of time and money fixing slides, jacks, electrical, and other misc things....

lauriedarlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriedarlyn View Post
We bought a used 2012 Phaeton, we have spent at least 2 months in repairs shops since buying it, almost a year ago, do you think this is normal, spent a lot of time and money fixing slides, jacks, electrical, and other misc things....
Normal for a Tiffin. That’s why we no longer own one.
We had two Tiffins and spent more time in Red Bay than on the road.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #3

In my opinion, you really never know. I had nothing but good luck with my 3 different RV's. My current coach is only 5 months old six thousand miles and I've had to have 2 repairs. But those two thing were QC issue's not user type problems.
Additionally, coach repairs take for ever. I usually have them diagnosis the problem and take my coach back home and use it until they call me and tell me the part is in and make an appointment for the repair.
Just remember coaches are houses on a wheels living their life in an earthquake. All coaches have problems.

Enjoy the RV lifestyle.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No, unfortunately it sounds like you bought a coach that the previous owner did absolutely no maintenance on.

Welcome to the forum and I hope after you get everything working to your satisfaction you get some decent touring in.

Good luck, Terry
96Bounder1st is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Not the usual case for a Tiffin. Did you have this rig inspected before you bought it. Do you have repair records on it. Sounds like the original owner did not do much to keep it maintained.

We have had our Tiffin for 2 years with very little repairs. We have spent probably a total of 3 days getting repairs done over those 2 years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Motor homes have a lot of moving parts that will eventually break. While many of the problems are minor, they seem major because the servicer takes so long to make repairs. A friend took his Class A in for a few repairs that should have taken a week. That was 8 weeks ago and they still have his coach.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
How can ANYONE respond to this post without knowing WHAT issues the OP is having. The OP is making their second post. Maybe the coach is in the shop for two loose screws and a burned out light bulb.

Until the OP describes what the issues are, we don't know if they're being unrealistic and unable to turn a screwdriver, or have real issues. We already have one poster maligning Tiffin and another maligning the previous owner, WITHOUT KNOWING what's wrong.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #8

Compared to an automobile that many people use as a comparison, motorhomes are lagging far behind in dependability. As stated previously they are houses in an earthquake with many systems in them.
Also having been a mechanic for most of my life and then a shop foreman the skill of many of the rv mechanics is also lagging. It would be hard to run a business and send your people out for training on the many systems in a motorhome.
I used to send our mechanics out for training but we were a municipality and the training was mostly no cost to us, other than wages. The variety of subjects was also much smaller.

Your coach is 8 years old so there will be things to fix but once the repairs are made hopefully all that will be needed is future maintenance.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry you have had so many problems in the first year of ownership. As the others have said, things break. Hopefully, once you get past this maintenance cycle, you will have several years of reliable RVing. In the "for what it is worth department", you are experiencing the trade offs of the buy new or buy used dilemma. If you had bought new, you would have probably had just as many problems but they would have been covered under warranty. So just think of all the money you saved by buying used and once its all fixed up, enjoy! Oh, I always budget about $2000 per year for repairs/replacements.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #10

We are full timers and this is our tenth year living in our MH. I recommend a screwdriver, crescent wrench, and internet service to keep your home in repair. Most things you can fix yourself with little effort. Big items might require assistance but if they can fix it, so can you.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

No such thing as "usual" for time in for repairs. Repair tech's not knowing what they are doing, that's usual. We had Cummin's and a large RV dealership/service center tell us we had a problem that could not be fixed. They had no idea of what they were working on, we found the shop that fixed the problem quickly and cheaply. Best solution is to learn as much as you can about your coach and keep up on maintaining it. Something as simple as a loose electrical connection can keep you from moving.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #12

They all tend to be poorly designed and constructed with absolutely the cheapest subsystems that can be installed. I bought mine new year 2019, and what a turd. Everything was falling apart from day one. As an engineer, I could fix everything I ran into, except the Norcold fridge that failed 2 months in. I replaced it with a compressor model.

Fortunately, a couple weeks ago a Semi Truck solved all my maintenance problems and totaled it on the freeway. I'm now looking for a replacement rig with better construction.
OffGridCirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriedarlyn View Post
Even with a properly maintained coach you could start to have the occasional problem with slides, jacks, etc. after 7 to 8 years (or before)
If your MH wasn't properly maintained than it could be a little/lot more.
For me personally, if I wasn't an experienced DIY'er I wouldn't buy an RV.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridCirc View Post
They all tend to be poorly designed and constructed with absolutely the cheapest subsystems that can be installed. I bought mine new year 2019, and what a turd. Everything was falling apart from day one. As an engineer, I could fix everything I ran into, except the Norcold fridge that failed 2 months in. I replaced it with a compressor model.

Fortunately, a couple weeks ago a Semi Truck solved all my maintenance problems and totaled it on the freeway. I'm now looking for a replacement rig with better construction.
Glad you weren't hurt, post what you finally buy, like to know what is designed better!

lauriedarlyn is offline   Reply With Quote