Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
In a heated aircraft hangar, plugged in. It just fits behind the wing of the King Air.
Rich & Linda
Whoa... King Air... COOL!

Mal (airplane envy)

Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #16

I drive it up to the northeast in the winter and make sure I pressurize the water system with H2O. I park it as close to an old rotted oak tree as I can. I dig out some holes and extend the jacks into them as far as they will go then fill the dirt back in. I pile dirt around the bottom of the tires. I leave the bottom of the wet bay completely open. I then leave the lights on and the radio playing on the chassis battery before I head back south. Obviously I leave the propane on and the fridge running but not before making sure the coach is rather unleveled.

I highly recommend this process for anyone (that has their coach insured for more than its worth)

Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
Hi,
I am just trying to see what you guys do when parking long term WRT leveling jack use, tire pressure, surface if you can pick, what you cover, venting,...
TIA
DDMA
Next to my garage on gravel, plugged into a 15A outlet with 1 roof vent open and 1 window cracked open....no jacks, no tire pressure adjustment, no covers.
Mel
'96 Safari, (stored outside for for 14 Wisconsin winters)
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
In a heated aircraft hangar, plugged in. It just fits behind the wing of the King Air.
Rich & Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Mal (airplane envy)
I sold my plane, (and my boat, and my motorcycles and my snowmobile), to get the $$ to buy my coach.
But my coach has more living space and cargo capacity.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #19

In our RV port next to our garage. 50 amp power. Asphalt pavement.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #20

How do YOU park your RV long term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Mal (airplane envy)
I don't OWN the King Air, I just manage and fly it for the owner...who has a LOT more money than I do!

Rich & Linda
Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #21

On gravel in storage lot, winterized, jacks up, slides in, refr doors open, shades closed and drive it every 4-6 weeks during the summer or take short summer trips in the Rocky Mountains or longer trips to WA & OR. Stay in San Diego for 3 months in winter!! Keeps it pretty well oiled up!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #22

I park mine here 24/7 unless we are on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FINISHED PIC.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	62492  
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
On a level pad that i had graded and four brick pads for the wheels. tires covered and battery tender plugged in. I installed water and electric (30 amps). Installed four 55 gal drums and gravel for the septic. It can be used for a guest house if needed. Also a back up for bad storm damage.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How do YOU park your RV long term?

Newbie here with a few questions: ('08 DP 40' Pacifica) I'm in Idaho where humidity is very low but winter temps can be below zero on occasion. I plan to store outside on my concrete pad which is has a very slight grade away from the house. I have the option to park inSide a storage unit but no power is available to keep batteries charged, it's expensive ($140/month) and insurance premiums are 15% higher. I plan to take the coach out over Xmas week and go south for the week. Already filled fuel and added power service to tank.

I have a new ADCO ALL SEASON tyvek cover for both the coach and tires. And my pad is pretty well protected so other than keeping excess snow off of the roof and putting mice bait stations under the coach, anything to worry about here?

Should I park the coach tires on rubber pads? If so why?

Should I use jacks to level and take weight off coach tires? (Seen mixed opinions here)

I have power available, should I plug in all winter to keep batteries topped off or just plug in one-two days per month?

If I blow out the water lines is it necessary to fill them with pink stuff or can I just pour pink stuff down the drains and toilet?

How does one drain the water out of ice maker (dometic 4door RV fridge/freezer)?

I have a valve to close water off from ice maker, drinking water filter and faucet. Figured I'd blow this out and then close the valve just to make sure water doesn't accidentally get back into ice maker(??) during Xmas trip.

What am I missing?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Covered asphalt storage lot. Jacks up, vents slightly open, refrigerator doors open. I don''t winterize because I try use it at least once a month even in winter and live in Arizona all year. I use the disconnect for the house batteries and a trickle charger on the chassis battery.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last couple of years long term storage has been on a concrete pad, slides out, jacks extended. Plugged into 50 amps. everything in side in use because we have been living in it. We spent last winter in OKlahoma spending time with our daughter before she deployed to the desert. This winter looks like we will be in Oklahoma again spending time with inlaws while wife does a contracting jobs for a company near them. When people talk about different problems with leaving jacks down or slides in and out. Keep in mind that last winter we had both for 5 months. We are at a campsite now and the jacks have been down and the slides out since june and I am not sure how much longer it will be that way probably until next year. Full timers have their jacks out and slides out for years and years.

When i am not living in mine I blow the lines out with compressed air and poor pink stuff in drains. When you blow out with air make sure you do each faucett several times to get all of the water out. I also pulled the drain plug out of my hot water heater and then opened the bypass valve several times and let the air blow the water out of the lines at the hot water heater and in the hot water heater also.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep mine under covered storage, jacks up, tires on plastic cookie sheets between concrete and tires, batteries disconnected, shades down, refig open, storage compartments locked, nite light on and favorite stuffed animal in drivers seat.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was in charge of winterizing 50 to 100 motorhomes a year on our lot. I always blew them out with air. A little pink in each drain and a few ounces in the black and gray tank. In fifteen years we had one ice maker line freeze in a old Allegro. Someone had installed a icemaker in a closet and we did not know it was there.
As for the batteries, I would use a battery minder to keep the charge up. If lightening comes in, it is much cheaper to replace two battery minders and an extension cord, than all the wiring and a converter.