Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #15

The warning may have nothing to do with the tire blowing..
If this rv uses the old style "split rims" that could be the danger they are referring too.
I would have thought the newer rv's don't use this style of rim anymore, my '86 Winnie Elandan still uses them so I am careful about topping off the tire pressure. There was a segment on "60 Minutes" many many many years ago talking about the dangers of these rims and how they can harm and even kill if not assembled by qualified tech with the right safety equipment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank an Ambulance Chaser for all the warning stickers on your Motor Home.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #17

Those kinds of warnings are written by lawyers and have little to do with the real world.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Any tire can blow up and cause damage/injury when being inflated. The bigger the tire the more damage/injury potential.

For @ $50 you can buy an air hose that has the inflation trigger and gauge installed 15 feet away from the air chuck end attached to your tire valve for safe inflation.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Any tire can blow up and cause damage/injury when being inflated. The bigger the tire the more damage/injury potential.

For @ $50 you can buy an air hose that has the inflation trigger and gauge installed 15 feet away from the air chuck end attached to your tire valve for safe inflation.
Ok, but what's the probability increase that the tire is going to blow up when you're adding a couple of pounds of air compared with simply blowing up while sitting still? If the tire is that likely to blow up, should we all install blast shields around our tires while we're parked? I'm not trvializing the fact that tires can, indeed, explode, but I'm not sure the increased risk in this case warrants the need for an extension arrangement.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a link to an excellent video on how to air up tires on a diesel pusher with the on-board air compressor. It also shows how to put together your own air gauge device for adding air to your tires.

HOW TO: Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - YouTube

Regarding warning labels: How about the multitude of warning labels on ladders now days...

I didn't need a label to tell me not to stand on the top step of an eight foot step ladder, back in the days when we were responsible for our own actions...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Ok, but what's the probability increase that the tire is going to blow up when you're adding a couple of pounds of air compared with simply blowing up while sitting still? If the tire is that likely to blow up, should we all install blast shields around our tires while we're parked? I'm not trvializing the fact that tires can, indeed, explode, but I'm not sure the increased risk in this case warrants the need for an extension arrangement.

I am sure each of us can assess our endurance for the risk assumed and make our own decision, as you already have.

But, we cannot do so unless we recognize the risk, learn the various means to lessen the risk, and then make an informed decision.

I suspect learning the various solutions was the goal of the OP when presenting his question.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #22

In 2012 Monaco manual, "WARNING:
For safety purposes, clear the area of
people and pets during tire inflation.
Inflate tires using a remote inflation
device."

They show a drawing of a person inflating a tire with a remote system and he is 12 feet away from the tire....
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
got the tires up to presssure

Little update on my air question.After all your help on the forum and talking to the Camping World service guys, we determined that the tires had 78 -80 psi in all 6 not the 92 called for. No explanation how it got delivered that way.

I decided to get the Harbor Freight 150 psi compressor ,two hoses,a lever operated fill valve with dial pressure gage,a second dial pressure gage, and a fillervalve with the spring loaded restraint to hold it on the stem.

Put all this together and you have a remote air filling system.

Now the fun part. The front tires were no issue but the dualie tires were a real pain. Fishing the hose and filler in and getting it on so it wouldn't leak. But I got it done. After 6 tires in 110 degree heat I had it.

You always have to double check.I had a $6 pressure gage that the indicator popped out to give the reading. It was inaccurate. I believe it was off 10 lbs. I got a dial gage from CW and the remote trigger / gage filler and found them to be within 2 psi so used the two of them to be sure I got it correct.

Thanks for your help
Ed
Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Depends on what's going on around you. Got a couple friends over, laughing and drinking beer while "helping" you? Here in Orlando guy got killed because he overinflated a tire on his truck while drinking with buddies.

I worked for OSHA in the legal dept in Washington for a year. Trust me, if they have gone to the extent of issuing guidelines to employers that must be met while their workers are refilling tires, and they have ... then there were plenty of workplace accidents before that occurred.

Doesn't hurt to have a few warnings to remind us to be careful.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
Little update on my air question.After all your help on the forum and talking to the Camping World service guys, we determined that the tires had 78 -80 psi in all 6 not the 92 called for. No explanation how it got delivered that way.

Thanks for your help
Ed
Glad you got things resolved.

I would guess the next step for your rig would be to get its axle weights and then inflate the tires according to your tire manufacturer's inflation chart.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post

Now the fun part. The front tires were no issue but the dualie tires were a real pain. Fishing the hose and filler in and getting it on so it wouldn't leak. But I got it done. After 6 tires in 110 degree heat I had it.

Thanks for your help
Ed
To make it easy to inflate and check the air in your inside dually tires invest in some dually valve stems.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Ditto. ....it's CYA
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #28