Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #15

Ok here comes an Airstream bigot. The previous post tells you all you need to know. First off...Airstream created the rv industry. How many Georgie Boys have you have ever seen a multimillion dollar tv commercial. I bought my 93 Airstream Land Yacht in 2010...solid oak raised panel cabinets, 230 cummins diesel, all of the right components (allison 6 speed, shur flo pumps, atwood water heater.) it sold for $219,000 19 years ago because it was the best moho ever built for its time. It had 81,000 miles on it when i bought. it now has 145,000 trouble free miles. The only problem I have had so far was a leak that was fixed in two hours in one day. forget about the bus conversions (bluebird, prevost, foretravel and the rest). at a million bucks minimum less than 1/10th of one percent will ever own one. Forget about Fleetwood...in less than four months they will be a french car manufacturer. Airstreams are VERY rare. But then so is good taste. A 93 to 96 stream is the best moho bargain on earth. take it from someone who knows.
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
5 airstreams for sale on craigs here right now.. not that rare..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned Two! Beyond those I would be rating only by popularity based on what I have read here. For some reason the $2 million dollar coaches always seem to win the contests and the $100,000 ones come in toward the bottom every time one of these questions is asked. Personally I would take my Winnebago Journey before I would take the Gulfstream Tour.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
If this question has been asked before, please point me to that thread. And, thanks.

If not, here is my question: There are a lot of class A coaches available - both new and used. In trying to determine the "best bang for the buck" - how would you rate the offerings by things like:
A. quality of interior workmanship
B. performance of chassis to engine choice (I understand that this will vary greatly based on the combination purchased. But a good starting place)
C. value - bang for the buck (Yes, I know that the more you spend - typically - the more you get. But, where is the best value)
D. resale value - which coaches "tend" to retain their value best over the long term

I'm sure that there are more issues. But this should get the discussion-juices stirring.

I am NOT interested in making this a "MY COACH IS BETTER THAN YOUR COACH" bashing. I'm sure this has been discussed and the information will be valuable to all.

Example for NEW coaches (not necessarily true. But a start):
1. Provo
2. Newell
3. Newmar
4. Golf Stream
5. etc.
6. etc.
12. Winnebago
13. Bounder

Example for USED coaches (not necessarily true. But a start):
1. Provo
2. Newell
3. Newmar
4. Golf Stream
5. etc.
6. etc.
12. Winnebago
13. Bounder
Just for Fun, only you can answer your question. The rest of us can contribute what our own experiences are, but what is of value to you is not necessarily what is valuable to us.

You need to make three lists. List one will contain the things you can't do without. List two will contain the things you want but don't really need. List three will be the things you absolutely don't want under any circumstances.

Then you begin to shop for a coach that has all of the things in list one, a couple of things in list two, and none of the things in list three. You probably won't find it, but you can come close if you are willing to make compromises.

Personally one of the things I compromised on was our engine. I would have preferred a Cummins but settled for a Cat. There's nothing wrong with the Cat. It was just personal preference bred from my familiarity with the Cummins engine. Beyond that we got everything that was on our must have list, a couple of things we wanted but didn't have to have, a paint job that neither of us liked but has come to grow on us because of all the compliments we get, and nothing that we didn't want. To us, the purchase of our coach holds great value.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
ok, so all those listing actual oems are saying the best coaches are bought with the Stupid Money.. ?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
buki, I hate to burst your bubble, but the Air stream of yesterday is not what people are getting today. Several trailers built during that era are now out of business but built a trailer that exceeded the quality of the Air Stream trailers. Look at Avion, Silver Streak, Spartan and Streamline.

We had a 1989 Avion 34V trailer that was built like the proverbial tank. It was built heavier than the A/S, more storage, a heavier frame, thicker aluminum skin and superior wood cabinets.

Air Stream owners like the mystic of the name and want to believe they have something really worth the cost.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #21

I can only speak for the RV's I have owned.

1994 Georgie Boy Cruise Air 3460 Ford F53. Nice quality coach. All oak cabinets, Hardwood floor, solid surface counter tops, large walk thru bathroom.

1998 Coachman Marada 30' Chevy chassis. Basic RV, Middle of the road quality, Had several leaks around the windows, Fiberglass sides delaminated.

My current RV is a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer CG32 Ford F53 chassis. Very well built. These were built by Monaco back then. Aluminum riveted sides, medal roof, Oak cabinets, Flexsteel furniture. Bottom loader with tons of storage for a 32' RV.

I do like the older Airstreams, like the 1993-2000 models too.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to comment here...I've owned six coaches...Started with an Itasca Class C, loved everything about it except the overhead bunk. Bought a brand new Itasca Windcruiser class A, loved everything about it except the laminate cabinetry. Bought a Gulfstream Class A, loved everything about it except the owners manual which was too generic. Bought two used Fleetwood Diesel Pushers (Discoverys) Liked a lot of things but hated many more. Finally, bought a used Itasca Meridian and feel like I've come home where I belong. I love everything about it except the laminate cabinetry, which is the same as when I started. Hey, I can live with it! The rest of the coach is perfect for my wife and I. I don't need or want any better quality and the fact that they are still in business, you can still get original parts and manuals, there's someone at the factory that you can talk to when you have a difficult question, what more could I ask for...?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Many of us walked through 100s of these things before we got a good idea of what WE wanted. You are going to have to do YOUR homework
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Are you a mechanical hobbyist?
I laughed out loud at that one..... really hard!
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #25

Ranking of Motorhomes

After a great deal of research and a significant outlay of money, here is the definitive answer to your question:

1. What I have
2. What everybody else has.

Disclaimer: the above holds true only as long as I keep my current MH. After that it all changes.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Big
Bigger
Biggest

More $
Still more $
All of the $

Well used - To Rehab
Slightly used - Been Rehabbed
New - will be rehab or rehabbed

Poor torque
More torque
Excessive torque (mythical)

After considering all of these and the above, buy the one that fits your budget and the DWs floor plan requirements. Or forget the budget and go with DWs requirements - happy wife, happy life.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
What ever you do take Gulf Stream off the list. We were ready to by one until we took a factory tour and saw how they were being built.

We've toured Monaco, Newmar, Beaver and Foretravel. All qualify as good coaches.

Personally, I lust for a Newell. Probably the best coach ever built.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote