Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Question How do you Remove and Replace the Awning above Door? 04 Journey

Okay,
Bonehead move of the year. Monday getting packed up and ready to go after our trip and find that the 24vdc system is offline. I try everything (Except the obvious thing). I think we can handle this and go home without the system and figure it out later. Oh, the Dometic automatic awning above the door is out and will not move without the 12vdc system. I take off the cover according to the manual and disconnect the wires then applied a 12vdc source to close it.

Now I need to rewire it and the black wire is behind the unit and I can't seem to get a hold of it. So, I need to Remove it, rewire it, and reinstall it. Not something I have ever done, the manual is helpful. Manual shows two screws to remove and then lift up and slide off or something. Only thing is that the Manufacturer added a Rivet to the mix.

Any good sage advice out there for this dumbass.

Oh, half way home I notice the Aux Batt switch on the dash. I gave it a push and low and behold the damn thing works. Rookie dumbass mistake. I won't make that one again. I even fell off the damn ladder trying to get that damn awning in.

GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #2

Hah! That's a good one...a Fire Captain that falls off a ladder. I don't have an electric awning, so I can't help you there, but I can tell you we are all dumbasses when we get a different motor home. There's a lot to know, a lot to figure out, and the manuals are sorely lacking in necessary information. Lack of wiring diagrams are one of my pet peeves. As far as pop rivets go, they are easy to drill out and replace once you've made a repair underneath. You just have to use the the correct drill size...usually 1/8 inch for the smaller ones. Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hah! That's a good one...a Fire Captain that falls off a ladder. I don't have an electric awning, so I can't help you there, but I can tell you we are all dumbasses when we get a different motor home. There's a lot to know, a lot to figure out, and the manuals are sorely lacking in necessary information. Lack of wiring diagrams are one of my pet peeves. As far as pop rivets go, they are easy to drill out and replace once you've made a repair underneath. You just have to use the the correct drill size...usually 1/8 inch for the smaller ones. Good Luck!
Thanks, for the advice, I hate the exploratory method of repair. Cost to benefit is usually not there. I have managed to cobble together a jumper method of running it in and out using a 12vdc outlet until I manage to get the time to explore or come across someone who has done one before. The manual is for installation and not very well documented.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You do know that Winnebago has the wiring diagram for your coach online for download don't you? I also suggest that you can find more specific advice if you try the Winnie section of this forum.

Good Luck
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSouthw524 View Post
You do know that Winnebago has the wiring diagram for your coach online for download don't you? I also suggest that you can find more specific advice if you try the Winnie section of this forum.

Good Luck
Rewiring is not really the problem. Getting to the Negative lead is being the challenge. The penetration into the coach for the wires is behind the motor and I cannot see where I separated the wire initially. To get to it I have to partially or fully remove the unit in order to rewire it.

Tags
awning, door, replace, journey