Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #1

How do you run your generator under load while RV is covered for winter?

I recently prepped for winter which included the normal winterizing steps and a cover for the RV since I don't have indoor storage right now. It snows and freezes where I am (PA) so I wanted some extra protection. Then earlier today I got my monthly reminder to run the generator under load and realized this is going to be tricky with it covered

The generator itself has an exhaust that goes outside the RV cover which makes me think I could probably run it while covered, but I don't believe I could run the air or anything else to put it under quite as much load given the cover goes over the roof.

How is everyone else handling running their generator in the winter?

I want to keep it from gunking up, but I'm not thrilled to climb up a ladder and uncover the RV once a month when snow is laying. I'll do it if I have to, but if there are other options I'd love to hear them.
joncalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have three 1500 watt cube heaters that I plug in. Sometimes I switch out one for a pot of coffee. 2 would be sufficient. I tested and labeled all my outlets years ago so I know which ones come off the 30 amp side and the 20 amp side of my onan 5500.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Plug in a couple of space heaters or several appliances/lights.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I have better things to do with my time than run a generator every month. Put stabilizer in your full gas tank and run the engine and generator long enough to get it to both engines. Park it, cover it and go RVing in the spring.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with Rocky's advice! Just noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

fireplace heater, converter, and residential refrigerator. i have also been know to take a vacuum over and do some inside cleaning while exercising the generator. as you said the generator exhaust is routed under the cover, but it does get hot. make sure the straps from the cover do not get routed on or near the generator exhaust pipe. our straps are nylon and the hot exhaust pipe melted through one.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
tcg

Just forget about it until spring.

Tens of thousands(probablly 100s of thousands) of RVs and boats just store for the winter and then start them up in the spring.

Check your manual for the proper long term storage procedure.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I have better things to do with my time than run a generator every month. Put stabilizer in your full gas tank and run the engine and generator long enough to get it to both engines. Park it, cover it and go RVing in the spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Just forget about it until spring.

Tens of thousands(probablly 100s of thousands) of RVs and boats just store for the winter and then start them up in the spring.

Check your manual for the proper long term storage procedure.

I agree 100%.

I have fuel stabilizer in the tank, but also drain the carb after the final run.
Never ever had a generator issue. I'm not going to dig a path to the MH every month to run the generator under load.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #9

I may not exercise my body enough, but I do my gennie. Read the gennie manual.

RV Generator Maintenance How-To, Tips, Safety - RV LIFE
Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #10

There is a carburator bowl drain.

Open it, let it drain, put it back in, and leave it utill spring.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldPE View Post
And change the oil and air filter every 100 hours. 50 years ago Cat said 100 hours for a oil change BUT oil sampling made 250+ hours possible. In 50 years oils have improved and I’ve used the same air filters for 10 years with just blowing them out...a pair for each machine. Each day tapping the dust out and each week swapping it out with the one that you used compressed air to clean.
Until you’ve tapped a cup of dust out of a air filter every day, you will not understand the absurdity of replacing one that you cannot see any dust on.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #12

Yep, I add fuel stabilizer on the last tank of fuel for the season. I run a couple snall electric heaters while cleaning up b4 storage. I have a good half hour drive to my winter storage barn so I run everything on the drive there. Park it inside and disconnect the batteries, say goodnight, and see you in the spring. Batteries have been 12.6 volts the last week in April when I pull it out. Never had a starting issue for engine or genny. My unit is a 1994 model !
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to visit the RV in the storage area at least once a month and run the generator and every other time I will take a run around the county for about 50 miles. If it's a nice day I might bring the wife and have lunch in the RV while the generator is working. I usually run the heat pump in the A/C. Temps for most of the winter are in the mid 30's to the mid 40's with some days up in the upper 50's and only a few days of snow. Might have a different plan if there was more snow or lower temperatures.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
The above is all great advise !
Follow the Oil weights for Climates when You want to Run Your Generator! Pay attention ! To the Outside temps !
Some will be like swimming in Honey in the Oil Pan !!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, generator, winter