Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Jeff,
I have a 2008 Winnebago. I "had" a charging issue but resolved it by calling the factory. I store mine plugged into 20 amp. My issue was that no matter being plugged in or not when I went to start it the batteries would be 11.8 or so volts. Enough to start it but worrisome. On one of our first trips there wasn't enough battery juice at 3 am, 27 degrees, to start the furnace.

Anyhow, the factory confirmed that i have the "Trik-L-Start" battery charger/maintainer. Then the technician stated that to keep the batteries from being drained to turn off the step while in storage, that there was a constant drain on the batteries with the step in the "on" position. I followed their advice and I have not had any further battery problems (I did change out the batteries because they had been run down so low several times.)

I also check the water level once a month and about every 6 to 8 weeks take it out for a 20-25 mile drive.

Call Winnebago, give them the VIN/Serial Number and ask questions. It may be that the 2006 works in those same mysterious ways.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on your converter.. Some rigs have single stage converters, some of those have poor regulation and if left plugged in too long will damage the batteries.

Others have 3-stage regulators.. These should not damage the batteries (They act like a "Battery Minder" when left plugged in all winter) but.. Some are better made than others.

NO, I'll not mention names save one.

Damon blessed me with a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with the optional charge wizard, This is the equal to the 9280.

In the first 4 years I had this motor home it sat all winter on a 20 amp circuit in my back yard... I watered the batteries every spring, long about Mother's Day. That's how often they needed it.

Now that it is over 8 years old.. I think I need to replace those U-2200's but hey.. They have given good service and 8 years is well within the 7-10 year anticapeted life of them.

Once this blasted rain stops I need to check bank #2

Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wayne,
That is interesting. I had been having some of the same issues. Even when plugged in, the chassis batts were not quite strong enough to start. Always had to aux boost to get her going. I'll try turning the step off.

Is there any advantage to keeping the batts charged vs disconnecting them? We camp an average of once a month, even during the winter.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #18

We store ours outside on a slab built next to our side entry garage/house. However I drain all water put in RV Antifreeze and place all 6 tires on 3/4 plywood with enough space to start it and move one inch each month to prevent flat spots and have enough gas on board to last from Nov to April. Then I take her off the boards fuel her take her to the truck wash so she's looking her best for the season. This year I need to change the 4 back tires due to age and dry rot. This plan has worked for three years. I also start the generator and place all the power drain on it to load it up. Good for watch football on a Sunday inside the MH!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Store our coach next to house (see pic) plugged into 50amp... Grandkids had rather sleep out in it than in the house when the visit...,

In winter , I place trouble lights with 60 watt bulbs in various basement compartments (battery, water, etc.) and two small ceramic heaters on lowest setting inside unit. I open all inside cabinets as well...
Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Forgot to attach picture....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-147630101.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	686.7 KB
ID:	48307

Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
It depends on your converter.. Some rigs have single stage converters, some of those have poor regulation and if left plugged in too long will damage the batteries.

Others have 3-stage regulators.. These should not damage the batteries (They act like a "Battery Minder" when left plugged in all winter) but.. Some are better made than others.

NO, I'll not mention names save one.

Damon blessed me with a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with the optional charge wizard, This is the equal to the 9280.

In the first 4 years I had this motor home it sat all winter on a 20 amp circuit in my back yard... I watered the batteries every spring, long about Mother's Day. That's how often they needed it.

Now that it is over 8 years old.. I think I need to replace those U-2200's but hey.. They have given good service and 8 years is well within the 7-10 year anticapeted life of them.

Once this blasted rain stops I need to check bank #2
Clear skies and about 70 here near Portland OR!
Our U-2200's went almost 10 years (one month short) and actually were still pretty good.
Kept rig plugged in 24/7/365 when at home. Did add 4 oz of mineral oil to them in 2004.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff,

20a is all you need for storage. It will keep batteries charged and you still have plenty to run the fridge and/or the furnace in prep for a trip. I have always done this in Mich with no problems. In recent years we head to Fl and this year we are already in Az. Doing this is always best for your batteries.

If no elect is available, then one wants to fully charge them and disconnect at the cables. Most rigs when the BDS is engaged, still powers the safety features, ie propane, smoke & co2 detectors. After about a week or so of that, they are dead. This is where a lot of newbies get into trouble. The same with the chassis batt. There is always a parasitic load of some kind and it/they need to be disconnected. It's always better to remove, take home and keep on a trickle charger.

My rig didn't have a BIRD, so I added a Trik-L-Start so when stored (or camped for extended time) on shore, the chassis batt is also maintained.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #23

I disconnect the batteries and they are put on a battery tender, I do this for all of my toys and my car battery is 15 years old and going strong and the bike is 13 years old
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
In the Coach garage, plugged in, have AGM batteries... always ready to go!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #25

We keep our in the garage also, plug in with the fridge on year round. Can't afford AGM batteries so I put mineral oil in ours over a year ago and have never had to add any water. Toad is usually left on the trailer ready to go. Full of water and black and grey empty. I have sewer drains in the floor and 7 50-30-20 amp boxes in the garage with cable and phone also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	48366  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #26

Outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	48368  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #27

Here is my experience after having an RV for only 3 years, located in central Arkansas. I store the RV in a storage shed which has with no heat but a 20 amp electrical plug. After I winterize, I check on the unit every month or so, and run the engine for about 15 minutes with dash AC on to keep seals, etc., lubricated, and to charge the chassis battery with the alternator. I plug in the cord for the house batteries and return in about 3-4 days and unplug. After a bad experience with storing a large boat over the winter, I found that it is not a good idea to leave any kind of charger on the batteries all of the time. And under no circumstances, would I disconnect the batteries nor turn off the batteries at a switch. In 3 years, I never had the chassis battery go down to where it would not start, nor did the house batteries every discharge all the way down. Of course, both of these procedures depend on having good batteries to start with!!!
jamblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Plugged in all the time...also have a 'smart' charger that won't fry the AGM batteries.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote