Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
We installed a curtain behind the driver/passenger seats. Camping world has a plastic runner with slides that is screwed to the roof and my better half sewed a curtain to the slides. This curtain keeps us warm using dash heat when temps are above freezing and cool in the summer when dash air is used. The runner and curtain looks like it is original equipment (if fabric and colors blend in).
We used a spring loaded curton rod, no screws, and can be removed, although we like having the extra layer of privacy all year long. Usually only lower front blinds at night.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
After two gas Winnebagos, we had a rude awakening driving our Journey in cold weather. The "Coach Heat" on the gassers kept the whole MH warn no matter how cold it was outside. The Journey needs the propane heat often. I still won't go back to gas for everything else the DP excels.
That's because the Motor Aid on gassers uses engine heater for cabin and domestic hot water. In diesels, it's only used for domestic hot water. I always wondered about that.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #45

I have a gasser also and as others have pointed out, the engine coolant is circulated through a fan powered heat exchanger in the rear of the coach and heats the whole coach. The coolant also heats the water so while we are moving we have both a warm coach and instant hot water.

Because of the rear heater, I don't have to have the dash heater set very high at all and the front dash area stays warm. The MH does not have defroster fans for the windshield and none are needed as there are dash defroster vents that can be used if needed.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
That's because the Motor Aid on gassers uses engine heater for cabin and domestic hot water. In diesels, it's only used for domestic hot water. I always wondered about that.
Please explain how the gassers use engine heat for domestic hot water and are you speaking of all gasoline powered coaches or does it have something to do with this ...Motor Aid... and maybe and option, that you speak of?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Sorry. I was referring to Winnebago coaches. Motor Aid is a device that is used to transfer engine heat to the cabin and/or water heater. I can't speak for other brands.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
I may be mistaken but either motoraid on the Winnebago gassers either has a pipe(tube) that is in the water heater or shares a heat exchanger with water in the water heater. I do know for sure that when we travel we always have hot water without the propane or electric for the water heater turned on. Also as has been said the engine does a great job oh heating the coach and no auxiliary heat has been necessary, at least to this point anyway. There is a switch on the dash that circulates the warmed air into the floor duct and circulates warm air in the whole coach.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #49

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I may be mistaken but either motoraid on the Winnebago gassers either has a pipe(tube) that is in the water heater or shares a heat exchanger with water in the water heater. I do know for sure that when we travel we always have hot water without the propane or electric for the water heater turned on. Also as has been said the engine does a great job oh heating the coach and no auxiliary heat has been necessary, at least to this point anyway. There is a switch on the dash that circulates the warmed air into the floor duct and circulates warm air in the whole coach.
I'm most certain that we don't anything like that on our National, but the water does stay pretty not when traveling for whatever reason. Now, if the genset isn't running and I really needed super hot water, I could run it off the inverter very easy.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #50

We had a 93 Winnebago Adventurer that had an aux heater under the bed that the engine coolant circulate through it. It was a cozy coach in cold weather. The same could be added to most any coach with some effort. We had an 03 40' Phaeton that I set up for cold weather. I had the underside including the wet bay tub sprayed with 2" of urethane. Then I added the "Back Seat Heater" that Holiday Rambler used in their water compartments. I wired it to the house batteries and set it for 40*. I also used on occasion an electric heater in the basement. We would leave WI in Jan for AZ. The coldest we ever had was -17*. We left with full water and both furnaces running along with the generator. My biggest concern was keeping the fuel from gelling. We were toasty warm and the wet bay never got below 37*. The basement was always above 40*. We had to fill with propane every day, but we finally got to sunny AZ. I don't know if I would do it again, but cold weather is just an inconvenience if you are prepared.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
The DW uses a heating blanket while traveling in cold weather they don't use many amps and provide ample heat.

Stay Warm,

James
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #52

Go onto Amazon and buy an Optimus heat dish if you don't want to run your furnace all the time and use up all your propane. Best space heater I've ever used and it can switch between 800 watts or 1200 watts. Even at 1200 watts is less energy than the crappy fan heater I got from Home Depot. This thing is almost like having a little fireplace in your rig.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #53

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Triple E Invitation QSDP has Motor Aid heating in the hot water heater and auxiliary cabin heating in the rear of the coach to supplement the dash heat while traveling. We use a small electric ceramic heater amidships as required. However, the furnaces are used when necessary depending on outside temperatures to ensure the basement holding tanks and water pipes are properly heated to avoid freezing. The Optimus dish heater sounds interesting! I'll have to research that unit further.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarwmn View Post
Go onto Amazon and buy an Optimus heat dish if you don't want to run your furnace all the time and use up all your propane. Best space heater I've ever used and it can switch between 800 watts or 1200 watts. Even at 1200 watts is less energy than the crappy fan heater I got from Home Depot. This thing is almost like having a little fireplace in your rig.
gitarwmn
You are correct!
However, less electric in = less heat out.

If the "crappy fan heater from Home Depot" is a 1500 watt heater it definitely uses more electricity, but it will put out 5115 BTU of heat..... (a 1200 watt heater can/will only put out 4092 BTU).

Since electric heat is 100% efficient you get more heat from any 1500 watt heater than from any 1200 watt heater.

BTW, it is a common misconception that expensive electric heaters supply more heat than cheap electric heaters of the same wattage.

As for heating a coach while traveling in COLD weather:
IMO, and experience, it is more economical to run the propane furnace than it is to run the generator to power electric space heater(s).....
(The propane furnace keeps the living/driving area more comfortable, and prevents freeze up better, than electric heaters)!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our dash heat never really worked that good. I took a look at the supply lines under the hood and they were full of little holes (mice not sure) so I got out my duct tape. Also the defusers for the defrosters was split so I duck tape them also. I can't belive the difference I can turn it down now while on the road. I still use the propane heat and if really cold I use a electric along with the others. I have a rear heater that runs off of the antifreese from the engine, I have to find a new switch for it and I bet I will not have to run the electric one when that gets fixed.
I prefer to be comfortable while driving, why have the stuff if you don't use them.?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #56

We just returned from a trip to Pa. Our dash heat was basically nonexistent. We ran our gas heat. I prefer cool in summer and warm in winter.