Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #57

ALAN We have traveled in very cold and Texas heat I put a closet rod up high right behind the front seats. My wife made two curtains of a fleece material. The curtains slide back on the rod and tie out of the way. It is easy to just walk thru when closed. Now you have a small cabin closed off with the curtains closed. The dash heater or dash air has no problem keeping that area comfortable. WILL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wllhyslop View Post
ALAN We have traveled in very cold and Texas heat I put a closet rod up high right behind the front seats. My wife made two curtains of a fleece material. The curtains slide back on the rod and tie out of the way. It is easy to just walk thru when closed. Now you have a small cabin closed off with the curtains closed. The dash heater or dash air has no problem keeping that area comfortable. WILL
Will, The wife and I had considered doing something along those lines. In fact we've got the hooks and a tarp. We thought a tarp would probably work by stopping the air movement from the front to the back.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
We have a 36 DP and there is a lot of air movement with cold air making the cab area cold. there is no way the dash heat or air could handle the entire coach. we do run the floor propane heat in the cold temps to keep the pipes warm.

here is what we did. got two 78" long clear shower curtains. Ran a heavy duty picture frame wire across the back of the front seats, very close to the ceiling. hung the curtains on the wire with strong paper clip and also put two magnets one set near the top and the other midway down to keep the two side together in the middle.

the outer ends are attached to the sides of the MH and I fashioned some aluminum wire to hold them in place when not in use. this allows us to keep as warm or as cool as needed without trying to keep the entire MH temperature controlled. At night we keep the front closed off to help reduce the load on the propane heater.

using he clear plastic curtain allow you to look back and eliminate the claustrophobic effect of a solid drape. also the dog can still watch us from her place on the couch.

we were able to find the long (tall) curtains at bed bath and beyond.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #60

If you have an aqua-hot heating system it operates on 12vots how often should you run the generator to recharge the batteries. Or does the battery recharge through the invertor? Just how much does the engine charge the house batteries while in motion. The coach has one of those BIRD switches in the battery locker
Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #61

There is no reason to travel in a motorhome and not be comfortable. Run the furnaces and set them high enough to be comfortable. If you are in below zero temps, run the generator and plug in an electric space heater. We have done all of this as needed and have been comfortable in our shirt sleeves or at the most a sweater. It's not that difficult to be warm.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There is no reason to travel in a motorhome and not be comfortable. Run the furnaces and set them high enough to be comfortable. If you are in below zero temps, run the generator and plug in an electric space heater. We have done all of this as needed and have been comfortable in our shirt sleeves or at the most a sweater. It's not that difficult to be comfortable.
I plan on doing this as I do not have time to fashion a curtain behind the seats. That was my original plan but things don't always work out like you want. Today is my first full day of retirement and the wife and I plan to be headed south in just over a week. Warmer weather, here we come!! So sick of this cold and white stuff.

Alan
Old 12-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #63

We run our generator until we hit warm weather. We live in canada and have left when it's 40 below. Have a electric heater in the water bay and electric heater up front. With our furnace running we have no problem using water or shower. Can't say we have ever used more than quarter tank of propane and the furnace runs steady
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
If you have an aqua-hot heating system it operates on 12vots how often should you run the generator to recharge the batteries. Or does the battery recharge through the invertor? Just how much does the engine charge the house batteries while in motion. The coach has one of those BIRD switches in the battery locker
The batteries will be charged (at least on my coach) by the engine while on the road. A coach of your age and size probably has an AGS (Auto Generator Starting system). If you are concerned about running the batteries down, turn on the AGS so if the batteries become low, the generator will start.

FYI, the inverter does not charge the batteries. The charger part of the inverter/charger does the charging but the power comes from the engine or being plugged in to shore power.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #65

Cat320 thanks for the information. I kind of thought that but wasn't sure. I have set up the AGS to start when the battery gets low so I guess we will be OK. We have 4 days ahead of us going out we stand I guess I was looking for reassurance from a fellow RV'er.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Cat320 thanks for the information. I kind of thought that but wasn't sure. I have set up the AGS to start when the battery gets low so I guess we will be OK. We have 4 days ahead of us going out we stand I guess I was looking for reassurance from a fellow RV'er.
Thanks
FWIW, the AGS should be set to start when the resting battery voltage is down to 12.2 volts. That is considered 50% discharged.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #67

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Harry,
I would be very surprised if the large alternator on a Diesel Pusher couldn't keep up with your on the road electrical use unless you use some major electrical heaters.
Crasher is correct about 12.2 for rested state but that would be if the batteries were not in use for at least 2 to 3 hrs. During use the batteries could probably be run down to 11.9 or so and if they were allowed to rest for a significant time would probably recover to the 50% state on their own. But if you are still on the road the alternator will be charging heavily by then.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #68

Staying warm

This year we left Michigan during the 'Polar Vortex'. It was 0F and a pretty cold ride to Indianapolis. If I had not installed a 'cockpit curtain' we would have frozen. Inside the cockpit, it was tolerable with dash heat on full blast. Behind the curtain, in the coach, ice formed on the dog's water. And this was with the propane furnace trying to keep up. Regarding the curtain, I was able to buy an extending three section rod ($29) and mounted the brackets on the side of cabinets. Three 48" wide by 83" tall curtain panels with rod rings were bought ($14 ea.) We shorted the curtains slightly, but should have left them alone. Air circulation caused them to rise slightly off the floor and let cold air forward. I'll take the hem out, and let them fall to the original length before our next cold weather trip. I may also buy a fourth panel so they fully cover the coach width, wall to wall. I highly recommend a cockpit curtain. It should work well too for AC in the summer. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
FWIW, the AGS should be set to start when the resting battery voltage is down to 12.2 volts. That is considered 50% discharged.
On our AC, the AGS is truly "automatic." It senses when the batteries are low and starts itself. Then, it senses when the batteries are charged and shuts itself off.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
keeping it warm or cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpratt View Post
We shorted the curtains slightly, but should have left them alone. Air circulation caused them to rise slightly off the floor and let cold air forward. I'll take the hem out, and let them fall to the original length before our next cold weather trip. I may also buy a fourth panel so they fully cover the coach width, wall to wall. I highly recommend a cockpit curtain. It should work well too for AC in the summer. Good luck.

In my entry above - We used clear shower curtains. they come in various lengths. for for the rod I used heavy duty picture hanger wire. Drill a very small hole in the cabinet and pass the wire through the hole and place a screw on the inside of the cabinet. here you can anchor the end of the wire. for hangers I used heavy duty paper clips. they slide easily and keep the curtain close to the ceiling. we keep the two panels together in the middle with small magnets. the air currents are strong and do pull the plastic forward a bit but if long enough they will stop the breeze. I also attached the ends of the panel to the walls of the coach.

Using the clear panels is less claustrophobic and also allows us to see our four footed baby sleeping on my jacket, on the couch.