Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How do you travel in cold weather and stay warm?

This may sound a like a stupid newbie question (which I am with Class A motorhomes) but after a two hour drive in my DP in 30 degree temps there has to be a better way to stay warm. I foolishly wore only a light jacket because in checking out the MH a month earlier the dash produced all kinds of heat so I thought nothing of it. Was I ever wrong! The dash still put out lots of heat but you would never know it. It was a miserably long 2 hours. DW and I have discussed putting a tarp across behind the seats to hold the heat in the front but then when we stopped for the night we would need to warm it up the rest of the coach so we could eat dinner, relax a little and sleep. My idea is to run the furnace while we travel so DW could access the fridge to get my ice or water while we travel. I know I could put a cooler up front for the ice and water but I would still like to have a warm coach in the evening. Is this a stupid or unsafe idea? We don't know. How do you travel that two days out of the cold weather to a warm weather area? Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #2

try running the furnace also.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Alan, this is your home on wheels, turn on the furnace and turn the heat up, just the same if your wife is hot in the summer, start the gen-set and fire up the A/C units on the roof and cool down, also maybe she will need electric to make you a snack going down the road .....fire up the generator and power your home up! Don't forget to turn on the water so she has water when she needs it.
One more thing, you do not need to start the generator to run your furnace, just if you want to run the A/C units in the summer or have 120VAC in the Coach.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2; I run the furnace, keeps the whole coach warm.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #5

My DPs engine heater would never keep the entire coach warm in real cold wx. But I never thought 30 degrees as really being cold but I have driven mine at -30, now that is cold. I keep my entire coach in my comfort zone and travel in shirtsleeves regardless of the outside temp. Winter and summer. Suggest you put the furnace on and set the thermostat within your comfort range.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
paz

Turn on the furnace and head south. When the furnace shuts off, look for a campground.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"When the furnace shuts off, look for a campground"
Great quote.. 15 degrees right now, I wish I could try this idea.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Awesome information everybody and whole lot humor in the posts. 30 degrees isn't very cold if you are dressed for it. I didn't know whether it was a good thing to run the furnace while driving down the road and I liked that idea way better then a tarp. Now I know what to do! Thanks everybody!!

Alan
Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #9

My front furnace doesn't keep the front of the coach very warm & runs ALL the time. So, to conserve propane, I run the genset, and use the oil filled, electric space heaters. You just have to figure out which power on the heater to use so as to not trip a breaker.
I'm ready!

BTW, I've got a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind 34N. V10 Ford.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a thought...............

We have not traveled in temps colder than 40+ degrees. When we have traveled in those temps the engine heater seems to adequately warm the coach and the Winnebago (Gassers) have the switch that funnels the heat to the floor registers throughout the coach. The question I have is regarding the front engine gas or diesel coaches. Does having the engine in front mean that it is easier to warm that portion of the coach? Also for those that have traveled in the below freezing temperatures with the gas coaches, do you get adequate heat from the engine heater without having to either turn on the propane furnace or add electric heaters?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are a couple of threads in this link that might help you and running the heater will keep you warm and holding tanks happy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1837070]There are a couple of threads [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/its-that-time-again-winterize-your-rv-106134.html#post988606
in this link[/URL][/B] that might help you and running the heater will keep you warm and holding tanks happy.
Something that 007 alluded to is tanks and plumbing.

Certainly if "cold" is greater than 32* optioning to use a space heater and/or curtain to supplement the dash heat is something that can be considered. That would be especially true if you have an inverter outlet near the front to run a space heater and not have to run the generator. HOWEVER...if you are in sub freezing cold temps then running the furnace would both heat the coach and in most cases provide supplemental heat to the plumbing to avoid freezing pipes. In our case we even have an auxiliary fan that forces some of the furnace heat into the water bay area.

So far we have found that on a sunny day of around 40* or more that our dash heat is fine for us. We just put on a nice fleece jacket. YMMV.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
After two gas Winnebagos, we had a rude awakening driving our Journey in cold weather. The "Coach Heat" on the gassers kept the whole MH warn no matter how cold it was outside. The Journey needs the propane heat often. I still won't go back to gas for everything else the DP excels.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We placed a curtain on a spring loaded rod across the camper just behind the driver/passenger seat. This helps keep heat up front and looks better than a tarp. When we start getting to where we will stop we start furnace to get rest of coach up to comfortable level. We've never had to deal with sub freezing temps, but I would certainly have furnace running if I needed it. One cold trip was enough for me, that's when we came up with the curtain!

Curtain also allow us some privacy while still having front blind up and allows some sunlight in, although we did get the heavy insulated curtains.