Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Never had a problem with smells when dumping or with the vents on top.
Only problem I ever had was when AAV valves leaked and would get smells going down the road with a full tank. Replaced AAV valves and no more issues.
But I am not using this method either. This could get smelly regardless of chemicals.

Name:   sewerdump.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  42.6 KB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we have been using the Geo Method and have had good results with it.
IMO, the Calgon helps with the paper not sticking to sensors along with the tank flush on the rig, its seems to do a good job.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
A product you might want to look at is "TankTechs Rx - RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner". There are several videos and write-ups on this product.

TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!

That's what I use now, works great.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #32

This stuff is great, use it in the Black and the Grey, its the only chemical you need to use for the whole rig while in use.
https://uniquemm.com/products/rv-dig...tank-treatment
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:40 AM   #33

Geo Method for us too. But when it calls for a Bleach maintenance application I use Chlorox II instead.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #34
Community Administrator

I treat mine to a dump every few days. Plenty of water In between .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of water works fine.........IF you have lots of water to spare. I used to do a lot of desert boondocking back in my days of off road racing, black tank chemicals were necessary in this situation (no water available).
Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #36

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to try the GEO Method. It makes a lot of since.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #37

With respect
84winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #38

Search the Geo Method ✌
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 AM   #39

Yes, we have used Happy Camper for years with great results.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #40

Have never used any additives. Lots of water and empty the tank when it's half full or better. I also have a water flush system that I use regularly and will, occasionally, let it run for 30 minutes or more.

Prior to having water flush system on the black tank (older unit) I would perform the following procedure about twice per year:
1) Dump black tank (and rinse thoroughly) when leaving site
2) Fill black tank about 1/3 full.
3) Add 1 to 2 cups of dishwasher detergent (it doesn't suds-up) and household bleach (if desired).
4) Add 20 - 50 pounds of ice... purchased from store.

The amount of ice added would be dependent on a few factors... How hot it is outside, the duration of the trip to the next stop, the volume of the tank etc. The goal is to put enough ice in there to allow the water, soap and bleach to slosh around while driving. The ice acts as a method of scrubbing the inside of the tank. Ideally by the time you've arrived at your next destination, the ice will be melted and you will drain the tank prior to next use. It is amazing how much junk comes out of the tank after doing this!! Even considering that the tank was supposedly clean before this procedure. [Originally I tested the effectiveness of this method by flushing the tank afterwards. It was noticeable that the water ran virtually clean after an initial rinse. Also used a borehole camera to visually inspect the inside surface of the tank. Visually it was clean.] I continue to use this method for the better part of 10 years. Throughout that time most of friends and family adopted the same procedure - all with good results.

***One CAUTION make sure you understand what type of sensors are installed in your tank. You need to ensure that having ice bouncing around inside your tank is not going to damage your sensors.***
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I only use 'dihydrogen monoxide'
Safe, easy to use, cheap, available just about everywhere and it works.

I have used nothing else since my 1st trailer back in 1977

No tank stoppages, no odors, no chemical smell or staining.

No need for anything else.
Old-Biscuit, I've found that mixing 1 part dihydrogen monoxide to 4 parts Grey Goose will usually make the entire process run more smoothly.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #42

Besides keeping enough water in it what we do is on a driving day is dump, fill with 5 minutes of water and drop in a scoop of powdered detergent. Driving will knock around and remaining solids (poop and tp). When we get to the park that evening we dump right away and fill with 5 minutes of clean water. Works for us.

Tags
tank, water