Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post
Spring is slowly creeping in here in the Philly suburbs. Almost time to clean up the 40' Revolution.

How do you guys wash the exterior of your rigs?

What kind of soap do YOU like best?

Do you use a power washer or a long brush, and how do you dry it?

In your opinion, what gives you the best results? And....Go!
Ever washed and dried your cars? Same thing, only BIGGER! If it's dirty, you'll need to scrub it with whatever brush, mit, pad whatever. Then, rinse, then, dry. pretty simple.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #16

The best RV cleaning I have ever done is sitting in my lawn chair, bloody Mary in hand, watching the mobile auto detailer do it.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #17

Newmar specifically says NOT to use brushes, so I don’t. Instead I use a wash mitt. They DO suggest using baby shampoo and some vinegar. I have not done this but have the stuff to do it with now. As far as waxing I don’t. I do use one of several spray on (even when wet) wipe off products such as Lucas Slick Mist, Turtle Wax brand spray on/wipe off.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I usually use the pressure washer on the wheel wells, under-carrage, and engine compartment to get oil, salt and road crap off. Then use Dawn dish-washing detergent and a long telescoping mop head to scrub the exterior.

Aren't you concerned the DAWN will strip off all your wax? It is a detergent.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Ever washed and dried your cars? Same thing, only BIGGER! If it's dirty, you'll need to scrub it with whatever brush, mit, pad whatever. Then, rinse, then, dry. pretty simple.
Scott
Yes, Scott I have.....I actually have 4 57 Chevys, a jeep and a truck that I always hand wash. I was just curious if anyone had a system they use to clean the camper's since they are so big. I currently use the telescopic rod with soft bristle brush and the ole garden hose. Seems like it takes forever. Thought maybe someone had some streak free soap, or new product they like.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Just finished mine. Washed using a soft wash mitt (on a pole extension where needed). Then claybarred the whole thing, section by section. Then waxed with an orbital buffer. Took me a week and damn I’m tired, but it looks good. I’m a fan of Griot’s Garage products.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I pride myself on never having washed an rv
I pay $40 or so to: Location Map

Thanks, JBT......unfortunately the closest Blue Beacon is about 100 miles away. It IS located in Carlisle Pa which is a place I go 3 times a year for big car events. Ill give it a try next time Im up that way. I had a mobile service wash and wax it when I was in a campground in Myrtle Beach. They did an awesome job and polished the wheels up like new as well.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
Just finished mine. Washed using a soft wash mitt (on a pole extension where needed). Then claybarred the whole thing, section by section. Then waxed with an orbital buffer. Took me a week and damn I’m tired, but it looks good. I’m a fan of Griot’s Garage products.

Man....I get tired even THINKING about clay barring my rig.....my hat is off to you! Hope your shoulders heal up soon! lol
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a detailer twice a year for a good cleaning and wax job. I will go through a truck wash a few times a year as well.

The best do it yourself i’ve found is Aero Cosmetics a waterless wash and wax system originally developed for aircraft.

You can wash/wax an entire coach (less the roof) in 1.5 hour or less depending on your coach length. Takes me about an hour.

Steve
Old 03-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #24

Depends on how much time I have to spend on it. If all day, I'll do it myself washing it just like I wash my cars and trucks. I like to use Auto wash detergent that has a waxing effect, seems to help with the bad water that leaves spots.

If I'm going to do a hand waxing, I'll use Dawn first on everything. No Time or traveling, I use the truck wash. But no matter what, I have to doing myself at least once a year to clean the roof. If I don't, it will bleed white streaks down the sides and look really nasty. I don't have a cover, coach is used full time, and in the elements full time.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I use RainX auto wash with a lamb's wool pad on the end of a painter's extension pole to wash, then rinse and let it air dry. Since I started using a dionozed water system, I don't have to wipe down even with our fairly high mineral content water. Everything dries spot free even in warmer weather. I had bad water spotting before using the DI system, even after blow drying with a leaf blower and a wipe down.
X-2. I use the CR spotless Deionizer from Costco, and works outstanding! I also use a Mitt on an extension, with a good maguires Soap. Not having to dry it saves me hours. I can now wash the entire rig in an hour. Also in a year and a half I haven’t had to change the resin in it yet, but that will depend on the hardness of your water. Regards
Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #26

I go thru the Blue Beacon truck wash with my 5er and truck
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I recently tried Blue Beacon, the coach was nasty dirty. Man was I disappointed. The nose was pretty good, the back cap you could see road film between each location they had done half a....s pass with the power wand.

Now I have to wash it myself to get it right, and re- wax it.

PS. I get it hand washed and waxed in the winter while staying in the Rio Grande Valley for a bargain price. Then use dry “ Wash Wax” a couple of times the rest of the year.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #28

No secret to it. There's no magic formula. Everyone has their preferred method and they all work. I used to wash it with any wash & wax product I could find. I've also used Blue Beacon if on the road and it's convenient. And, I have a husband/wife team come over once a year for a hand wash and hand wax. The coach sits outside in AZ from Oct to May and under an RV port in WI from May thru Sept except when in use. It's only five years old, but still looks new.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote