Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #29

Yea all the mobile guys here seem 3 to 400 so I went out a few weeks ago and found 3 washes real close to each other but the lines were too long for my patients. It was pres. Day and maybe why so full.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #30

All but one of the BB's I have used were brushless. The last one had the automatic rotating soft brush system that goes along the coach after it has been soaked and soaped. It left the MH clean and did not scratch it.

FWIW, my son just had a commercial pressure washer installed in his shop. He mentioned that he has used BB several times. The installer shook his head and said to be careful and that the chemicals they use can and will remove any wax. He also warned that the harsh chemicals were not friendly to clear coat.
In the future, I will only use Blue Beacon as a last resort. When I wash it myself or hire a local service to come to my home, I can control what is used to clean the surface.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #31
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I've maintained boats and RVs for years. I have an extensive collection of washing mitts. My two cents:

Side by side, a clean mitt may be less abrasive than an ultra soft truck brush. However, in my book, the new ultra soft bristle "truck brushes" available in commercial supply establishments are the best compromise going. Not because they are "milder" than lambswool or a reggae mitt, but because they are less apt to hold grit, you are less apt to press as hard on them, and they are easier to keep rinsed.

The minute you take a swipe on a dirty vehicle with a mitt, it becomes a piece of sand paper. If you don't rinse that mitt thoroughly and frequently, you reintroduce the grit to the surface. A very soft brush allows the grit to remain mobile and not be repeatedly pressed against the surface being washed. The brush also rinses more easily.

Thank you for the insight! Makes good sense to me.

W.D.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I typically wash all of my vehicles myself...I just don't like car washes. But in a pinch I will use them and it sounds like BB gets some decent reviews. Nice to have another option while on the road.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a truck driver using BB, there is really not much brushing. Mostly just hi powered spraying. They stay on the ground so the roof will not be washed. They will use a brush on the wheels and other chrome items. It all depends on the location and crew doing the washing as to whether you get a decent wash job. I ve never tipped. In San Antonio, go at night open 24hrs. Day time lines very long. Again, in San Antonio on IH-10 east there is Charlies which belongs to BB and they do handwashing and drying. Never let them use brightner on your rig. It will eat that fiberglass/gel coat.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
SIX bays ?!?!
Wow, the most I've ever seen at the 10 or so I've stopped at was two bays

But I have seen some with the rain shower rinse overhead and even one with a catwalk along the sides to do the top...

you have to ask them to do the top if you want it done and the only places they use a brush are the aluminum wheels, chrome, and the front (where I have the 3M stuff) to get the bugs off.

I have been very pleased with them (and as far as scratches, RV parks have put more scratches than they have )
Old 03-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
SIX bays ?!?!
Wow, the most I've ever seen at the 10 or so I've stopped at was two bays

But I have seen some with the rain shower rinse overhead and even one with a catwalk along the sides to do the top...

you have to ask them to do the top if you want it done and the only places they use a brush are the aluminum wheels, chrome, and the front (where I have the 3M stuff) to get the bugs off.

I have been very pleased with them (and as far as scratches, RV parks have put more scratches than they have )
My bad!! Wash has only three bays. ( check it out on google earth ). Still, main RV lane is far right, but both right side lanes will do RVs or trucks. I guess sometimes things seem to be twice as good as they are.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #36

Will they do 5th wheel (RV) trailers?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Will they do 5th wheel (RV) trailers?
I have seen both in line to go through.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't put any "tire shine" products on your tires, especially petroleum based. The combination of the shine product and sun exposure will cause premature surface cracking.

Just a good wash with a stiff brush to clean the tires is best.

Cheers!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Blue Beacon is just like any other car wash.

You pay them money.

They spray who knows what stuff on your vehicle. Something like "citrus shine" is a degreaser so it is going to remove your wax, for instance, no matter what they say.

Whatever touches your paint has not cleaned since it touched the last vehicle, or last 100 vehicles. If you let them dry your car, it's even worse, since it really wasn't cleaned properly to begin with, the towels (proably dirty to begin with) just drive grit into your clear coat. So your paint gets scratched to one degree or another, but it is "cleaner" than before when you leave, so most people are happily on their way.

No one but me washes my cars or my RV......

+1

I do mine by hand, myself. I use a high quality McGuire's wash and wax. Just did the whole thing including the roof yesterday.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459433051.716973.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	122785
Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When home or if a park allows it, I will do it myself. I use a mitt on the lower sections and a soft brush on the top. When we are out racing from state to state, I use BB often. They only use brushes on the wheels and perhaps a couple spots that have a heavy build up of road grime. I think many are misunderstanding the scratches people talk about. They are not deep, through the paint scratches, they are what the industry calls spider webbing. You may only see them at certain angles and in direct sunlight. They are barely visible, superlight scratching or swirling caused by impurities on the surface of the paint, brush or even a mitt that has some grit caught in it. You are going to get them no matter how careful you are and they are most easily seen on black or other dark colors. The solution is to polish the coach once in a while to remove them and then seal the paint with a good wax. How careful one is has a direct realation to how quickly they develop and how often you will need to polish the paint to remove them. Many folks wont even notice them and it wilo never bother them. Its kind of like when you look at a brand new coach and a couple year old coach. There is just something about it that says thats a new coach. If you had the couple year old coach sitting by itself and not next to a brand new one, you would never notice. I happen to be a paint nazi so I notice and polish the coach once a year.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
I went to Blue Beacon in Duncan, SC today with too high expectations.

They will not clean roofs, which was my main reason for not doing it myself this time. I even asked if they could just use their roll-up stairway sitting outside their bay and just reach over and brush and spray it off and they said it was against their safety policy for their feet to leave the ground (why couldn't I have found a job like that in my life?). The overhead rinse nozzles are just that. Roof is just as dirty as beforehand.

It's generally clean otherwise but it doesn't match me doing it myself. I guess I'm too much a details guy.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Retired USAFR
ltcolmac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can only tell you what the dangers are and how they handled my RV

First: Pressure washing. If you do not know what you are doing you can blast water right past the slide out and window/door seals and soak the interior of the RV.. This is the danger of pressure wands, the higher the pressure the higher the danger.

Blue Beacon uses pressure wands BUT. it appears they train their people because there was NO evidence of this after a visit or two.. They use crews on scaffolding either side of the RV. and they brush tough spots, They clean the brushes between use.

They did an excellent job on my RV (I washed the towed elsewhere) and in fact when I got to the campground a few miles (perhaps 5-10) later I got complements on how shiny the RV was.. I would not hesitate to recommend.

I've also used one other truck wash.. Likewise they did a good job, NOT quite as good (Drying was different) but still no damage.