Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #29

Yup if the fan makes it cool better you have short cycling compressor caused by cool air hitting thermostat.

In our cell sites we had some with real high heat load that would run very warm even though the HVAC was large enough.

Silly he service guys would aim registers straight out thinking that would be best but just using hand to feel air you could feel cool air in wrong places.

Had to meet with them and demonstrate with it thermometer a few other tricks to demonstrate proper targeting of registers to allow them to work.

Same goes for mh.

Get a piece of paper and tape it over your thermostat and see if the room gets cooler or just place fan yo divert air away from it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

There are some great tips posted about adding insulation, covering skylights and vents, window coverings, awnings, etc. However, we like the inside temp to be very low 70's to high 60's and have found, as others have posted, that achieving those temps in a 40' or larger coach is difficult with two AC's. If your AC's are performing properly and you're already utilizing the methods posted to reduce heat you may need to add a third unit to the arsenal. There are times we only run 2 units but there are many instances where the third one is needed to maintain the temp we want.

PS. Thoughts & prayers are with you both and hope Annette is feeling better and on her way to a pain free recovery!

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Joe,

There are some great tips posted about adding insulation, covering skylights and vents, window coverings, awnings, etc. However, we like the inside temp to be very low 70's to high 60's and have found, as others have posted, that achieving those temps in a 40' or larger coach is difficult with two AC's. If your AC's are performing properly and you're already utilizing the methods posted to reduce heat you may need to add a third unit to the arsenal. There are times we only run 2 units but there are many instances where the third one is needed to maintain the temp we want.

PS. Thoughts & prayers are with you both and hope Annette is feeling better and on her way to a pain free recovery!
Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One thing I have decided to do is buy and install tint on all the side windows! I looked at Lowes and they have some that looks like what I need. Have any of you done this?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #33

32C out and for the hell of it I wanted to see how low it would go, at 12C I stopped.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
32C out and for the hell of it I wanted to see how low it would go, at 12C I stopped.

WOW! That's incredible!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
One thing I have decided to do is buy and install tint on all the side windows! I looked at Lowes and they have some that looks like what I need. Have any of you done this?
We tinted the driver's and passenger's windows years ago and it helped some. If we were going to keep the coach, I would redo the tint with ceramic tint--we have it on all the cars, and it makes a big difference.
We have left one AC running after we came back to San Antonio. With outside air in the low nineties, the coach stays in the mid to low seventies.
Someone touched on the subject of color. The color of the coach has a huge impact on heat gain. With all the rage about dark colors on a coach, no wonder many have difficulty keeping the coach cool. If you have light and dark areas on your coach, put your hand on both after the coach has been sitting in the sun for a while, and you will feel the difference.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #36

reflectice window covers

Funny, i was just working on this topic a week ago.

Last weekend the air temp in the paddock area of the track i was racing at was 116 in the shade on saturday, and 119 in the shade on sunday.

Using the 2x 13.5 AC in the main cabin of my Outlaw i had no problems keeping it 69 in the coach. (actually was so cold i raised it to 72 sunday evening)

trick for me was 2 simple things, i put a sheet of that reflectix stuff in the front windshield between the shade and the windshield.

Second, i attached one of those thin silver emergency blankets to the shades on each side of the drivers cabin. i used small binder clips to attach it to the top and bottom of those shades.

I originally did those emergency blankets simply to block more light. they were all i could think of that would be cheap and easy when i was out of town.

My coach is a 2015 Outlaw 39ft.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I have been working on the same problem. Here in Panhandle Florida OAT has been 93 to 98F with humidity of 88%. I clipped a outside mister to the shroud of the front AC, it was $10 from Amazon. Even at 88% humidity it give a 10-15F lowering of air temp to the condenser side of the AC. This resulted in register temp going from 54F to 43F and indoor temps from 78F to 73F. I run it from about 1300 to 1800 hrs. The term is adiabatic cooling.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
The term is adiabatic cooling.
After the edit period has expired, I see my smart a$$ humor comes off as condescending. Please accept my apologies for that.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
We have THREE 15K roof a/c units and can keep it as cold as we want, even at 100+ degrees.

I think any rig greater than 35 feet in length needs 3 a/c units in very hot weather, IMO.

Cheers!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
We tinted the driver's and passenger's windows years ago and it helped some. If we were going to keep the coach,
Quote:
I would redo the tint with ceramic tint
--we have it on all the cars, and it makes a big difference.
We have left one AC running after we came back to San Antonio. With outside air in the low nineties, the coach stays in the mid to low seventies.
Someone touched on the subject of color. The color of the coach has a huge impact on heat gain. With all the rage about dark colors on a coach, no wonder many have difficulty keeping the coach cool. If you have light and dark areas on your coach, put your hand on both after the coach has been sitting in the sun for a while, and you will feel the difference.

Thanks for the comments! Muffin told me yesterday about the ceramic tint and I plan to go that way!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminex View Post
Funny, i was just working on this topic a week ago.

Last weekend the air temp in the paddock area of the track i was racing at was 116 in the shade on saturday, and 119 in the shade on sunday.

Using the 2x 13.5 AC in the main cabin of my Outlaw i had no problems keeping it 69 in the coach. (actually was so cold i raised it to 72 sunday evening)

trick for me was 2 simple things, i put a sheet of that reflectix stuff in the front windshield between the shade and the windshield.

Quote:
Second, i attached one of those thin silver emergency blankets to the shades on each side of the drivers cabin. i used small binder clips to attach it to the top and bottom of those shades.
I originally did those emergency blankets simply to block more light. they were all i could think of that would be cheap and easy when i was out of town.

My coach is a 2015 Outlaw 39ft.

Cheers

Where do you get those?

Old 07-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I have been working on the same problem. Here in Panhandle Florida OAT has been 93 to 98F with humidity of 88%.
Quote:
I clipped a outside mister to the shroud of the front AC, it was $10 from Amazon.
Even at 88% humidity it give a 10-15F lowering of air temp to the condenser side of the AC. This resulted in register temp going from 54F to 43F and indoor temps from 78F to 73F. I run it from about 1300 to 1800 hrs. The term is adiabatic cooling.

Can you post a link to that? Thanks!

Tags
air conditioner