Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How efficient are your air conditioners?

We have two Dometic 13.5 units and during this hot weather we can only keep the inside temp about 15 degrees below outside. Is this pretty much normal, or do you get better performance? Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Ouch, we seem to do better with our basement air. We are cooling 36 footer and keep all day shades down and front window, driver and pass with outside sunscreens.
Normally we are 20-25 degrees cooler than out side air temp.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are about the same with Tom and Gloria. We have a basement air. Just returned from a two day trip here in Texas where day Temps were 102. Coach stayed at 80 during the day and mid 70's at night. Now the AC ran all day to keep it at 80!!!! We do have shades and the window reflector material which does help a lot.
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #4

Just returned from a trip to Alabama where temps were around mid 90's. The two air units were running all the time to keep it around 75 degrees inside. Start cooking with the oven or toaster oven, get the portable fan out and turn it on high....muggy.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Make sure thermostat not in direct air flow as it may cause compressor to cut off early.

Ours does this and a fan really helps change air flow
Old 07-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

I have insulated our ceiling ducts and done some common sense mods and our coach remains very comfortable usually with ONE ac.

We have insulated our ENTIRE coach from end to end and top to bottom! This is where we improved our liveability of our coach. What brought us to do this was we spent three winters in single digit temps! I started findi g cold spots and from there we have a very efficent coach! Not to mention the quietest coach, especially while driving! We were at a Rally in Shawnee,Ok. With 105 temps and never lower than 99 at night with 30 amps with no problems! We are in a 2005 American Tradition 43ft. Full window awnings and Ceramic 30%tinting and outside windshield and front side window sun screens.
Don't blame the ACs for not keeping up.........blame the camper! I've helped a few of our friends do theirs and they still can't beleive the difference. Have fun
Old 07-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

15 degrees delta seems at the low end of range, but much better than 25 would be unusual, IMO.

Ours cooled right on 20 degrees at the height of the day a few weeks ago up in Oregon where the outside temps were 102, we had zero shade, and inside up front it was 82 (although it was 74 in back, where we have only one window and it was away from the sun.

A huge amount of heat up front comes from the windshield, even though we have heavy curtains up. I am sure if we added exterior windshield covers, etc., it would make an enormous difference, but I haven't been inspired yet to spend that money, since we are far from full timers and I hope to upgrade coaches in the next few years.

Steve
Old 07-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I have insulated our ceiling ducts and done some common sense mods and our coach remains very comfortable usually with ONE ac.

We have insulated our ENTIRE coach from end to end and top to bottom! This is where we improved our liveability of our coach. What brought us to do this was we spent three winters in single digit temps! I started findi g cold spots and from there we have a very efficent coach! Not to mention the quietest coach, especially while driving! We were at a Rally in Shawnee,Ok. With 105 temps and never lower than 99 at night with 30 amps with no problems! We are in a 2005 American Tradition 43ft. Full window awnings and Ceramic 30%tinting and outside windshield and front side window sun screens.
Don't blame the ACs for not keeping up.........blame the camper! I've helped a few of our friends do theirs and they still can't beleive the difference. Have fun

Muffin, can you give me details on what you did? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
15 degrees delta seems at the low end of range, but much better than 25 would be unusual, IMO.

Ours cooled right on 20 degrees at the height of the day a few weeks ago up in Oregon where the outside temps were 102, we had zero shade, and inside up front it was 82 (although it was 74 in back, where we have only one window and it was away from the sun.

A huge amount of heat up front comes from the windshield, even though we have heavy curtains up. I am sure if we added exterior windshield covers, etc., it would make an enormous difference, but I haven't been inspired yet to spend that money, since we are far from full timers and I hope to upgrade coaches in the next few years.

Steve

20 degrees would be great! I bought a roll of the 4' Reflectix insulation from CW a while back and cut it to fit the inside of the windshield. I'm sure that helps a lot, but need a LOT more!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #10

Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Muffin, can you give me details on what you did? Thanks!
X2 Would like to know also. Thanks
Old 07-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We have two Dometic 13.5 units and during this hot weather we can only keep the inside temp about 15 degrees below outside. Is this pretty much normal, or do you get better performance? Thanks!
The first place to start is with some basic maintenance:
1) Clean the filters
2) Remove the covers (roof and inside) - clean the coils. Cleaning the inside coil can be a little tricky, but you'd be surprised how much stuff builds up.

Check performance, they should do a 20 degree temperature drop compared to ambient (inlet vs outlet).

When it's 102 out, you may have to get selective about what you cool...

The ducted units are inherently less efficient and "waste" cooling (IMHO). They pass air through ducts that are essentially less insulated than non-ducted systems. My current RV has an option to essentially use the ducts or dump the AC at the unit - and this seems to work a bit better... but start with the basics.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

I bought an inexpensive IR thermometer (on of those pistol grip looking things) and I use it all the time to check the fridge and a/c, etc. When it was 102 outside, the air coming out of the vents was at 68 degrees -- that said, it's definitely a great idea as mentioned to just "dump" air straight down if you can, especially when you are outside and not in the rig (since it is noisier then using the vents).

Steve
Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

Try insulating your front cap behind the TV & cabinets. It will make a significant difference. I just did mine & wish I had done it sooner.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

We camped out at Pleasant Harbor two days ago. With outside temperatures about 102 when we got there, we had low 70's inside. But we have 3 roof ACs with 15,000 Btus each.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner