Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #15

We head off the highways pretty often, but I am always prepared to stop and go for a walk before just driving into a trap. Slow down and drive to conditions.

My MC8 has the air inlet way up high on the side of the bus where it should be, but the airstream has it right behind the rear wheels where it is best placed to suck in the maximum amount of dust possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #16

My Motor Home only travels on road...it's a deal I made with her when I bought her. She would behave while we were out together, and I would never take her off road...so far, so good.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Chuck, won't clutter your thread with pics but if you're interested in seeing what you'll miss staying on pavement click HERE. 2 of these campsites were within 1/4mile of pavement, hint they're the 2 with hookups. The others were 1/2 to 3+ miles down dirt roads of varying stages of repair.

We knew going in that our main interest was dry camping & boondocking (yes there is a difference) and we selected our coach based on those goals. The criteria we had was,

Short overhang with a good "cut" upwards toward the back of the coach. This pretty much limited us to side radiators. Center of axle to back of rear bumper is exactly 10' and the hitch is 23" off the ground when the coach is level. Never had an issue scraping even with the 252" wheelbase.

Ease of maintenance, i.e. air cleaner easy to get to, batteries etc having easy access to clean often, again side radiator for ease of hosing off. I do open the hatch under the bed every so often and blow the dust off of the engine, and rinse the radiator and batteries every time I wash the coach.

Other than that it's pretty much just take it out and enjoy it. I do go slow and try not to twist things up too much. I've also been through some pretty deep sand on the Comb Wash trip, wasn't too worried though, I was with 8-10 Jeeps with winches
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dave shan. Loved the pictures . inspiring , added some items to the bucket list
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We've got our 40-footer out in the boonies today

Here's our campsite just outside Borrego Springs, CA. This is only ~1/2 mile off the main road.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I have not done it, folks travel on dirt roads all the time in Alaska with class A. Particularly the top of the world highway.

Some day on the bucket list.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You can go until you reach the point that you become stuck and can go no further.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #22

What is the main difference between 2WD and 4WD?

Only one thing...

With 4WD you will walk a lot more distance for help...

With motorhome not so much...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #23

Our travels in the MH stops where the blacktop stops and un paved begins.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We got stuck once just a few feet from the graveled road. Thought the ground under the snow was frozen.....WRONG!
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #25

One of the 'Highways' that we travel is the Denali highway. It is 135 miles from one endto the other. The first 20 miles is paved (sort of) then 110 miles of gravel and then another 4 miles of pavement. The road is closed during the winter as there is fo maintenance. During the rest of the year it is gravel. While I do not travel the whole length, we do drive in about 65-70 miles. As long as one takes their time and watches for the 'wash board' sections it is OK. However it can and does 'claim' vehicle every year.
There are other roads here that are all garvel that can get you some really nice places but...........If I am not sure of the road bed, I stay off it.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
One of the 'Highways' that we travel is the Denali highway. It is 135 miles from one endto the other. The first 20 miles is paved (sort of) then 110 miles of gravel and then another 4 miles of pavement. The road is closed during the winter as there is fo maintenance. During the rest of the year it is gravel. While I do not travel the whole length, we do drive in about 65-70 miles. As long as one takes their time and watches for the 'wash board' sections it is OK. However it can and does 'claim' vehicle every year.
There are other roads here that are all garvel that can get you some really nice places but...........If I am not sure of the road bed, I stay off it.
Anytime someone comes for a visit i take them from Paxson to Cantwell on the Denali Hwy, weather permitting of course.

The Denali Hwy trip gets them ready to take a ride across Hatcher Pass Not in the RV though.

Denali Hwy is in my top 3 best road trips in AK, the other 2 are the Richardson from Glennallen to Valdez and Seward Hwy from Anchorage to Seward.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Chuck, won't clutter your thread with pics but if you're interested in seeing what you'll miss staying on pavement click HERE. 2 of these campsites were within 1/4mile of pavement, hint they're the 2 with hookups. The others were 1/2 to 3+ miles down dirt roads of varying stages of repair.

Love that whole area there! How was it going over Red Mountain pass?
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
Love that whole area there! How was it going over Red Mountain pass?
Truly the best place I've ever seen to live. Red Mountain and the descent into Ouray is a non-issue. Red Mountain has huge skirts on the switchbacks and the only bad thing about the road into Ouray is the driver can't enjoy the scenery.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote