Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
How far do I drive on scale?

Moved up from TT to class A last April and between excursions never got around to weighing the thing. Our local Cat scale has railings that will not allow side weight so best we can get is front and rear weights. My question is how far should we drive onto the scale for front weight and how far should the front end be off the scale for rear weight?
Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

Watch the CAT instruction video on YouTube. Or just call up there or drive up and ask them on the intercom while weighing.
Basically, if they have multiple sections, have each axle on individual sections. If just one section, one axle at a time.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I go to a public scale at a local farm and garden supply. Only one plate and a street on one side. Drive the left front on, they note the weight, drive forward to get the front off and left rear on, they note the weight. Pull out and do a U turn to come approach from the other direction, repeat for the right front and rear. You can position for each axle or whole coach too if desired. It can take some gyrations but can usually be done at most scales. Talk to the folks manning the scale to see what they will support.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many places have flat scales that can weigh one side or another, CAT is not one of 'em.

Also if you want to do it the easy way (Costs a bit more about 2x) you can go to RV Safety & Education Foundation and follow the links to get it weighed.

They bring the scales to you

Or you can buy your local Diesel Smoky breakfast.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #5

Or, if you have a good State Highway Patrol Vehicle Inspection Dept, they will meet you or come to your home with six individual scales and give you an official weigh. They did mine at our home in WI at no charge. The officer was happy to ensure that our coach was balanced well and within the axle and tire limits and said it was my tax dollars at work. Others have said the same from other states.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Or, if you have a good State Highway Patrol Vehicle Inspection Dept, they will meet you or come to your home with six individual scales and give you an official weigh. They did mine at our home in WI at no charge. The officer was happy to ensure that our coach was balanced well and within the axle and tire limits and said it was my tax dollars at work. Others have said the same from other states.
I have heard that to here in Texas, I have to give that a try. That would be perfect.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
scale types

I was in the scale business for many years with Toledo Scale. Remember them?? I designed and installed large truck scale operations for the Meadowland and waste management. Well anyway, there are two basic types of truck scales. Axle and motor truck. Axle scales are generally 10X10 platform scales and Motor truck are anywhere from 50 feet to 80 long. Some truck scales are sectioned to weigh individual axle and combine the weights. The generally may not be able to do corner wheel weighing do to curbs or other obstructions

Of both types there are two styles. The ones curbs on the side are generally pitless and others have pit under the platforms.

The pitless may have ramp which bring you up to the level of the scale. Any farm type or axle plateform without curbs should have a flat and level area surronding the platform.

When weighing you corners, the rest of the vechile should be level. When weighing your axles, the vehicle should be level and not going up or down a ramp or off level area.

That's it. The only time a New Jersey State Trooper will come to your house is with a warrant.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good reply but can't do that cuz the local scale had side rails both sides.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
The only time a New Jersey State Trooper will come to your house is with a warrant.

Sounds similar to NC. If the scales come out, youre getting a ticket (and those fines start in the thousands and go up from there IIRC).
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Sounds similar to NC. If the scales come out, youre getting a ticket (and those fines start in the thousands and go up from there IIRC).
Glad I live in a state where the LEOs actually care about the people who pay their wages.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Glad I live in a state where the LEOs actually care about the people who pay their wages.
On the contrary, while most weight enforcement officers wear the NCSHP uniform, quite a few of them are hold over DMV enforcement, or transferred from current DMV enforcement.

NC DMV are highly paid idiots, bottom line. It took a trip to FOUR different DMV offices to get a title issued for my new trailer last week, including DMV headquarters. Yet we pay one of the nations highest gas taxes, highway use tax, recurring vehicle property tax, inspection fees, registration, and have a weighted tag system. Have anything bigger than a mid size truck? Youll need a weighted tag for that. Oh, by the way, you pay by weight, and our 1/2 ton costs $150 a year for a weighted tag. Have a dually? Gonna run you $500 for registration. And we pay tolls.

They dont care, as long as they get their next load of cash to blow on experimental concrete that buckles and needs to be redone in 2 years.