Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #43

We're not retired yet so we're destination RV'ers. Up to 700 miles+- a day to destination, or return trip. 200-300 a day without a schedule sounds heavenly. Drop anchor if something interests you, can't wait. Just hope we can still afford it.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Depends on where I am going and what I am doing. My rule of thumb for point A to point B travel is leave at 9:00am stop by 2:30pm. Leaves plenty of time to walk the dog, for R&R and Happy Hour!

Retired so why hurry!

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #45

Thanks for all the feed back. Most responses were in line with what I feel reasonable. We are retiring the end of the year and heading to Arizona for a month or two. I figure on 3 days to get there (1000 mi). Headed to Montana next summer. Not sure how I will split that up. (2000 mi). I have to do all the driving. All that said 5-6 hours followed by happy hour definitely fits our life style.

Thanks again to everyone,
WM
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #46

It is interesting to read all of the replies. I enjoy driving and our MH is fun to drive, therefore I have few issues driving 600-750 miles a day. I try to get going by 0700 and attempt to be stopped by dark. I have an issue 'stopping' while there is day light. We have, at times only driven 150-200 miles during a day but that is not the norm for us. Up here in the summer that can be an issue with the long daylight hours we have. Now that the DW has retired we will have a little more time to 'stop and smell the roses' so to say. Our next trip we are looking at about 8000 miles and are planning on being gone 5-6 weeks. We will see how that goes! I dis-like being gone from Alaska during the summer!!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
We're not retired yet so we're destination RV'ers. Up to 700 miles+- a day to destination, or return trip. 200-300 a day without a schedule sounds heavenly. Drop anchor if something interests you, can't wait. Just hope we can still afford it.
This is us as well. An 11 or 12 hr driving day can be the norm depending on where we are headed.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm actually a bit surprised that the answers so far have been as low as they have because I think the answers are often very different for those who are retired and those who aren't. We're retired and fit right in with the 4 to 6 hours on the road group. We almost never get on the road before 10am and are ready to pull in and set up by around 4pm.

If you're finding that driving your rig is exhausting, you might want to take a look at doing some things to improve the handling. I know that I was able to turn my driving experience from a bit of a white knuckle experience to a relaxing two finger exercise with a few mods.

Best of luck.

Rick
I'll agree with Rick on this one. We get up - fix breakfast - and usually hit the road by 9:30 or 10 AM. And hit a campground or other stay over place by 3:30 or 4 PM. Six hours is pretty much the usual and that includes the time for shopping and taking on fuel. In the good old days before we retired we did do some very long days but it is much easier on us to take our time and not push ourselves.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #49

Like some other posters, I really enjoy driving our coach. Also many of our destinations are far away from Chicago. 10-12 hour days with a nap thrown in are fairly common for us. Now that we have our first DP we are also more willing to do the rest area or Walmart stops for the night. Our coach makes non- hookup nights much easier than our gasser was.

Would I prefer shorter days and earlier off the road trips? Yes - 100%, but we don't have that luxury yet. I just hope I can retire while I'm still able to drive comfortably and enjoy it.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
350 to 400 miles stoping every 2 hours for breaks and fuel.Not retired yet.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Back when I drove to get to a destination, I often did 500 - 600 miles per day. Now that I'm retired, I do a lot less. On my last two long trips I averaged 169 miles per day over 111 days, and 118 miles per day over 138 days. The longest days were around 300 miles, but most were less, including many with no driving at all.

I usually hit the road by 8:00AM, and usually stop for the day by 1:00 - 2:00. Most driving is on secondary roads with a top speed of 57MPH.

I know this is not the ideal way to travel if you have to get to a distant location to enjoy a vacation, but I have the great advantage of flexible scheduling. At this point in my life, the travel is just as important (maybe even more) as the destination.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #52

We used to do 400 but not any longer. 300 miles is the normal now ( or less ) or 6 hours max.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #53
laj

Can't wait till i can travel leisurely like a lot of you are able to. I am usually on the road between 6-6:30,and go till around 6 that night. My average daily mileage is around 7-800 miles a day. Hope to one day be able to see the roses as i pass them, but for now it's what i can do.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #54

We're usually headed to an event to get there the day before but make sure to plan enough time to sight see on the way there, because I'm horse headed to the barn on the return side.

Most times I plan start times to go through major cities at off peak traffic hours and always plan to make camp before dark. I fuel at the end of the day because I like to leave straight away in the morning, just seems like you make the best time the first leg of the day. Also one time in OK we were on ready alert to bug out because of tornado in the area.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Just got home today from a 2 week vacation. Started out in the central CA area and headed north to WA. Took 6 days to get there and stayed a couple of days. Averaged about 200 mi a day. Then went to ID and took two days to get there. After that, we took another 4 days to get back home so DW and I like the 4-5 hr drives and frequent stops along the way. After all, it's the journey, not the destination.
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
We usually do 250-350 miles a day find this works for us on the road by 10am off the road by 4pm