Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our motorhome in January. Our first big journey was a 4000 mile round trip, with the WIT GNR in the middle of a three week vacation. On the way to Forest City we went to Bay City, MI, to visit a nephew and his family. On the way home we stopped in Paducah, KY, to visit old friends. What this translates into was an average travel day of about 350 miles, with our longest day being about 425 miles, every bit of it on the interstates. DW thought that was too much.

I plan to retire within 4 months. Our next planned junket is a caravan through Alaska. We plan to take almost 6 weeks to get to Dawson's Creek, with an average travel day around 200-250 miles. spending multiple nights at many of the camps. 50 days in Alaska with the group, and no fixed plans for the return (we'll be retired, after all!). Gotta check Alaska off my bucket list.

Weekend trips until then will never be more than a couple hundred miles. Time for relaxing, not pushing.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I'm planning a trip I set my mapping program for 200 miles per day. Then I look for campgrounds within 50 miles of that stopping point, hoping for a 1000 Trails campground. If I can't find a 1000 Trails park in the vicinity I look for other private parks and review them online, using Google Maps to view the park, the area around it, the roads, etc. Every so often if we have to drive farther (300 miles or more) we try to have a non-driving day the next day so we can relax a bit.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
After taking my first long trip in a 37 1/2 ft DP (in windy weather) I realized that 5-6 hours of daily driving can be exhausting. I am curious; on the average how long and how far do other DP RVr's drive on a daily basis?

WM

what difference dose it make if your driving a deisel pusher?
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We've been fulltiming the last two years. Our north/south migrations have been 1000 and 1200 miles and we take a month to make the drive. We usually drive 150-200 miles a day at 57-65 mph. I'll set the cruise control, when I can use it, at around 58 mph. We always stay a minimum of 2 days at each RV Park. We'll spend a week if we really like the park.
We're looking to shorten the drive next summer. It's expensive moving these things!
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #61

I usually go 12-14 hours on our Florida trips. I usually use fuel stops as breaks to stretch out, get food and feed the kids, etc.
I can usually keep going too but it's too hard on the passengers. Everyone needs to lie down after a day on the road that long.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
what difference dose it make if your driving a deisel pusher?
My opinion is (and I've had both kinds) that the DP is much easier on the driver. Less tiring, not fighting the wind and road as much. I can easily drive with one hand as opposed to white knuckling it with the gas rig The newer gas rigs are most likely easier on the driver but......
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
I like to drive and used to drive all day when we went to FL to see the grandsons. We first had a gas MH and then the DW changed the rules, limiting me to one tank of fuel a day. To solve that problem I bought a DP with a 100 gallon tank Now we are older and leave about 9 AM and drive until about 4 or 4:30 then stop, by the time we set-up ( about 15 minutes ) it's time for happy hour and then supper then just relax. Jim
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll usually run around 400 miles a day depends on the weather, I won't drive in heavy winds, especially cross winds. Normally I will start the day with a full tank and by the time I am in need of fuel I am ready to park for the night anyway.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do about 500 miles a day. That's about 12 - 14 hours including fuel and lunch stops.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #66

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
We've been fulltiming the last two years. Our north/south migrations have been 1000 and 1200 miles and we take a month to make the drive. We usually drive 150-200 miles a day at 57-65 mph. I'll set the cruise control, when I can use it, at around 58 mph. We always stay a minimum of 2 days at each RV Park. We'll spend a week if we really like the park.
We're looking to shorten the drive next summer. It's expensive moving these things!
Hi Steve,
Reading your message, noticed that you have a 1995 HR. If I may ask, how long have you had it & of course do you like it? I purchased a 95 Navigator July 2011 and we really love ours. Have to agree about the cost of moving them around. Where do you winter? We live in FL year round and take advantage of the state parks. Just curious.
Carl Vik
cvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #67

My vacation starts as soon as the door closes and the Motorhome starts to move. I have found that I drive until I am tired en get up, stretch, use the bathroom, get something to eat and then back on the road. It may take a little longer getting there but I am not stressed when I do.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #68

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We usually will spend six hours a day. Like many others we like to stop around that 330,4pm time. Having said that when heading south the first day I will push to an 8 hr day to try to get out of the cold a little quicker!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote