Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
DM
I drive between 62 and 65 mph. At 58mph I am running 1800rpm and in 5th gear. At 61mph she shifts into 6th gear and rpm drops to 1300rpm. This is when your Fuel economy peaks.

CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #86

Fleetwood Owners Club
I drive slower at $5.00 / gallon than I do at $3.00 / gallon!!?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #87
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Pretty much X2 for me. I try to hold the RPM @ 1400 - 1450 which is about 62 for my rig. I seem to get the best performance at this speed.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #88

doesn't matter what speed you drive at, there is always the idiot that will try to kill both of you. We were coming back from Phoenix last year doing 70 or 75, keep with the traffic flow and there was a M/H to my left and just enough room for some idiot to cut in front of me and then cut in front of the M/h and the car in front of me. If that wasn't bad enough there were two other idiots do the same thing. I swear to you I do think they travel in packs. Around here in Oregon we have the basic rule for speed. if the roads are good enough you can go over the posted speed limit, but I have seen the state boys pull people over because they, the cops, might think it is not safe to drive that fast. that part came from the cop that lives next door to me.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #89

In AZ, they have this so called rule of Reasonable and Prudent. I don't know just what that means, but I got a ticket for keeping up with the rest of the traffic. The officer said: "We can't catch them all."

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
I drive 60 if the speed limit is 55 and the road and conditions are good. 65-68 on the interstates where the speed limit is 65. I have not noticed any better or worse fuel mileage.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #91

I drive solo, except for the DD, and just want to get there and relax.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #92

I have found that the journey is as important as the destination. I drive to be comfortable and enjoy the scenery.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #93

Forest River Owners Club
I know it's always the idiot in front of me and the [moderator edit] behind you and I'm just the innocent bystander. I try to keep it 2 to 3 miles below the posted speed limit and let the faster traffic go around me. However there are times when sitting in the right lane gets you in a lot of traffic, especially during rush hour and merging traffic. Then go to the center lane and do the speed limit until the pack gets in front of you and settle back down into the right lane, hit the cruise and talk about the idiots in front of you and the you know what's behind you until you have to move to the middle again.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #94

no way i'm gonna try to keep up with traffic, i'm in the 'i don't like the pack' crowd, it's just a bad accident/pile up waiting to happen. also, no way i'm letting the big rigs dictate what speed i drive, IE: i ain't tryin to keep up with them fools. my daddy drove a big rig most of his life, i know what i'm a talkin about, LOL.

i'm driving around 60 on the interstate, yes, i'm in the right lane, go around me, i don't care. flip me off, i laugh. guess what, you're gonna go around me again and probably again. it's already been mentioned how it's funny how that happens, flip me off mulitiple times, i laugh at you multiple times. pass me then jump over in front of me if you want, DW is gonna sit over there on her cell phone and call 911 with your tag number and reckless driving.

secondary roads, usually 55 or less, weather, traffic, city limits and farmer john on the tractor dictate usually. this past weekend coming back from camping and it was raining, i probably never got over 50. if i held ya back till you could get to the passing lane, oh well. i got home safe and sound, and honestly, that's what i'm most concerned with. as long as i'm driving above the minimum posted speed limit, i'm legal
papachaz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #95

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I try to drive the posted speed limit. But sometimes I'll increase the speed to stay with the traffic.
TheRealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
My driving speed is dependent on where i'm going. Usually 62 to 65 on interstates. The one exception is going from Florida to Calif. When I get to Texas on Hwy 10, I kick it up to 70. I have an overdrive that doesn't engage until 60 miles an hour.