Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I guess I’m not allowed to have an opinion on this forum.

All you old slow pokes are the only ones that can.
Not true, we can definitely agree to disagree. I am sure I won't change your mind, and I know you won't change mine. Just stay over in the inside lane and I'll stay in the outside lane.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 06:50 AM   #86

I would agree that we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I don't agree that we're all entitled to our own personal rules of the road. Not sure where there is any wiggle room on speed limits, or where an opinion of perceived ability/safety allows one to drive 5 mph over the posted limit.

Not trying to be the road nanny here. But, we all share the same roads.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When driving amy vehicle, knowing what its stopping distance is at any given speed is a requirement.

With a motorhome other factors come in, such as how much distance is required to stop comfortably as to not spill the vase of flowers on the counter, or cause the dogs to fall off the bed.

Keeping a buffer zone that equals this comfortable distance is mandatory.

I know many of you drivers are east of the Mississippi, and the roads are much more crowded than those in utah,wyoning,idaho,and montana, where a cruise at 80mph is considered slow.

No matter what speed you drive, always drive to your ability and the equipments ability. Keep space for safety and comfort.

Driving too slow is just as dangerous as driving too fast in many situations. If you cannot handle the flow of traffic at the speed traffic is flowing, then seek an alternate route. You very well could be saving a life.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I I’m one that’s not paranoid about a tire blowing out, sure I’m prepared for it but I’m not paranoid it’s going to happen and I’ve got all the time in the world also but I don’t like driving slow.

When you experience a front tire blow out, you will have a different perspective of speed. BTDT and it's scary.
My pickup and fifth wheel swerved into the left lane and I had both hands on the steering wheel and had slowed down to 55 cause I felt something was wrong. I still could not keep the truck in it's lane.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
many of you know due to illness my wife can not drive but in the 20 years we have been together the only ticket she ever got was for doing 45 in a 55. she was on her way to showlow az at night and the first time she had driven that rd and the dps officer was the only other car. the ticket was not for impeding traffic but for not maintaining the posted speed limit. at court the judge did dismiss the ticket however the judge did warn her in az you can not due more then 5 mph under the speed limit or 9 mph over.

now being raised in upstate ny and just being back there about a month ago (first time in 20 yrs) northeast rds SUCK pothole riden tiny over hanging wires tree limbs ect i had to change my driving from the western states north or south. aint nothing good about the east coast road, traffic weather or tax wise
Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #90

Best to stay around 65 , best gas mileage and very comfortable ride,
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #91

Based on 300 mile trip:

300 miles :- by 60 mph = 5 hrs travel time
:- 65 = 4.6
:- 70 = 4.3
:- 75 = 4
:- 80 = 3.75

Couple of notes; regarding RV travel speeds, time-span taken, safety and anxiety:

1. Traveling at 60 to 65 mph usually means that speed can be maintained fairly regularly during the trip; because there is usually no traffic that slows you down. Fuel consumption is at its least intrusive to your wallet; and, less stops for fuel! So... the 4.6 to 5 hour stats shown above can be pretty close to actuality. Tires are not overheated and general mechanical items on RV are not being constantly put on task to function at their top limit. Also, driver for sure must stay on que... but, due to relaxing speed driver anxiety level can be not too high. Emergencies that may pop up can be more easily handled.

2. Traveling 65 to 70 mph is not way too unsimilar to time schedules being adhered to as well as other items such as is the case in nore #1. But, you will occasionally [more often than #1 speeds] need to slow down... which means your actual time-span taken will not be too much less than #1 speeds. Which means that #1 speeds are a really good choice.

3. Traveling 75 to 80 mph is unsimilar to #1 or #2... in many, many ways!
a. Fuel consumption is up
b. Tire Heat and air pressure is up - Which creates increased tire wear and decreased tire safety. Also, sooner tire replacement cost. And, brakes for slowing or stopping wear out faster.
b. Driver anxiety on many levels is increased - Gotta stay constantly on top-que... because, you're pushing your rig to its limits in all accounts of driving.
c. Driver cuss words may happen due to traffic slow downs where the 75 to 80 mph speed suddenly needs to be decreased to 60 mph or maybe even a bit less, and maybe for a period of time... [On No Uncle Bill!].
d. At end of trip, when your checking time taken to actually complete the 300 mile journey it is found that instead of the 1 hour 15 minute faster time-travel [than #1] calculated on a calculator it amounted to only 20 to 40 minutes faster. Again - Oh No Uncle Bill! No cussing please!

Summation: Drive what you want to, the way you want to, in direction and on roads you want to, to destinations you want to. BUT!!! Always remember that driving fast isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. AND!!! RV occupant as well as all others on the road safety is truly the Number One Priority of any driver on the road - That Includes YOU !!!!!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #92

Rexhall Owners Group
Just under 60 is comfortable and a bit safer than 70+. The most important considerations are how close I am to the vehicle in front of me and whether or not I'm on a divided highway. My objective is always to walk away from the motorhome whether it's after I've turned off the key or come to an abrupt stop.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
...Driving too slow is just as dangerous as driving too fast in many situations. If you cannot handle the flow of traffic at the speed traffic is flowing, then seek an alternate route. You very well could be saving a life.
I see this posted from time to time. Can anyone point to stats showing a large vehicle traveling at 62-65 actually creates a danger or is more dangerous than pushing the functional limits of the vehicle?

There's a difference between what may seem dangerous and what actually is. I'm much more concerned about what is actually dangerous, and statistics would tell us more here.

I've traveled in states with higher speed limits (70+) and the speeds we're talking about are well within the posted minimum speeds. We're not talking about someone driving 35 on the freeway here.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
the judge did dismiss the ticket however the judge did warn her in az you can not due more then 5 mph under the speed limit or 9 mph over.
I don't doubt that the judge may have said that to her, but I doubt that is the law in AZ or any state unless it is posted on the road. It would seem odd that a state would allow 9 mph over the limit, but not 6 mph under the limit. We drive the AZ interstates with 75 mph limits @63 mph and have never been stopped by a LEO although many have passed me.

Edit: Here is what the AZ law states:

A special section of the law applies to slow-moving vehicles on two-lane highways. If passing on a particular stretch of road would be unsafe, slower drivers sometimes are required to pull off the road and allow other vehicles to pass.

If five or more vehicles are lined up behind a driver who is traveling more slowly than the normal flow of traffic, the slow driver must leave the road when it is safe to do so and allow the traffic to pass.

If the LEO was the only other vehicle on the road, your wife was not in violation of the law.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
In California I cruise at 58 to 63. In South Dakota or high speed states I cruise around 65. I wont run at more than that because I am no hurry to go another 4 or 5 miles in an hours time.

If you have a toad behind you, you are breaking the law in California. ALL vehicles 55 MPH MAX when towing ANYTHING. There are signs everywhere stating this, so if you get pulled over, don't expect a warning. -Paul
Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I see this posted from time to time. Can anyone point to stats showing a large vehicle traveling at 62-65 actually creates a danger or is more dangerous than pushing the functional limits of the vehicle?

There's a difference between what may seem dangerous and what actually is. I'm much more concerned about what is actually dangerous, and statistics would tell us more here.

I've traveled in states with higher speed limits (70+) and the speeds we're talking about are well within the posted minimum speeds. We're not talking about someone driving 35 on the freeway here.
I don't think someone going slow in the right lane is too much of a problem, what does cause a problem is the people who insist on sitting in the fast and middle lanes and go below or at the speed limit. Particularly when they find each other and sit three abreast holding up a long line of vehicles behind them. These people do present a danger because they cause others to weave and try to jockeying to get around them.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I don't think someone going slow in the right lane is too much of a problem, what does cause a problem is the people who insist on sitting in the fast and middle lanes and go below or at the speed limit. Particularly when they find each other and sit three abreast holding up a long line of vehicles behind them. These people do present a danger because they cause others to weave and try to jockeying to get around them.
Agree. But, that's not a problem caused by driving slower than the posted limit, that's a problem caused by not following the "drive right, pass left" rule, as well as the recklessness of people passing on the right when they don't have to (when there is an open left lane)
Old 11-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #98

Generally 70, but if I find myself in a "gaggle" I go little faster until I get away from the crowd, sometimes up to 80, but not for long. I try to get away from the crowd, but drive about the same speed as them once that is accomplished. I think it is a lot safer to be alone than with a crowd, even if I have to go a little faster sometimes to stay there.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote