Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowrench View Post
I have the Ford V-10 engine and I find the downshifts while in cruise are timed better at 57-60 than at 55. Gets me to the top of the hill at a higher speed and even allows me to pass the occaisional semi! I don't notice a mileage penalty at that speed either. I'm retiring next week at 62.
Tom
we actually found with our allegro to get worse milage at 55 and the best at 70... when at 70 it would only down shift to 4 th and pull that gear ... at 55 -60 it would go to 3rd.. and then try to go back to 4th

here it is pulling the 24' trailer loaded...26,000 lbs...notice how load and ruff it rides

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #44

the last video was up hill... heres flat ground..also.. it is the one with 22.5 tires,,

https://youtu.be/J880n1ydRX0

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #45

I thought I was taking forever to get to my next destination. But you know what? 55 - 60 mph gets me there just as quickly. And safely. What's an extra 30 mins anyway? The thing that still shocks me is when the big 18 wheelers pass me on the left. I have to be extra vigilant since they tend to "suck" us into them. /Mikey
Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We try to keep the rig between 60-65 mph. With the 460 Ford I can average 7.5 mpg by keeping my foot out of it and with smooth acceleration. I've had it up to 70 and it's very stable, but I don't travel at that speed.

I've also found either Shell, or Chevron gas does best for me. Some folks don't think the brand gasoline makes a difference, but I've found it does. I avoid the cheap stuff. We don't have a toad. I prefer traveling without towing and rent a car if and when I need one. I've thought about carrying a Vespa 250 on a rear lift, but haven't done it yet. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
Thanks for the video. Looks like we have a similar MH, ours is an Allegro 36 LA. Do you remember what Banks power kit you purchased?

We're going from the Ozarks to the Rockies & the Northwest this summer. Might get the Banks
you're welcome
I got the full kit.. w/ottomind for the trans..
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #49

I drive my 1999, V10, 30 ft. Class C, 60-65, unless going up hill.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #50

I drive 06 Winnebago Adventurer on W24 chassis. My first time out I drove it like I stole it. Now towing a CRV, average 60 now. CRV has max speed of 65. So this works me.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #51

American Coach Owners Club
We sold our sports car, once we weren't in a hurry for getting anywhere anymore. Also found out real quick like, that the coach won't corner or stop anywhere near as well as the sports car did. Posted speed limits apply to sport's cars as well as others, so my reasoning and logic is that my coach shouldn't be going near as fast as the posted speed limits and not to mention the fuel costs and extra wear and tear on every moving part that the chassis might have. Conclusion is for 52 - 53 mph and as long as conditions feel comfortable and safe. Especially when pulling a toad.
I have noticed that most every motor coach on the road drives faster than I do. In fact I've had the same one pass me more than once in the same afternoon.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Depends on the speed limit, normally 60-62. We are rarely in a hurry.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like to drive my age. That means I'll go faster every year because my life Is shorter and I have less time to get places. If I had a gas RV, I would drive even faster to smooth out the ride.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
X2

Fred
x3, plus the wind here in S Texas area can be real problem. And if a 18 wheeler passes us (my son and I) I tend to get caught up in their draft. Maybe with more time I'll get better. I used to drive a bus part time while I was in the Navy but never experienced these probs. Seems with power steering on the class a's are nice to have but once you hit our roads (which need repair) stand by to stand by. I will eventually get there at 60 to 65. Forget that 80 mph sign. Just pass me, lol.

Mikey
Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
55-65. Only faster If I am going downhill and the road is straight
Old 03-30-2015, 03:41 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you listen to your engine it will tell you when it's happy. My rig likes 60-65 mph on a reasonably level road. In the mountains I watch my temp gauge and tach. I try not to lug the engine and definitely take it out of overdrive. If necessary I'll pull over onto the shoulder and follow the semis plodding along through the mountains. On lesser grades I can maintain 50-55 without harming the engine. Another trick is to run Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank.The added lubrication to the top end really helps extend the life of your motor. I give myself plenty of room between the coach and other vehicles. One thing our class A's will never do is stop on a dime. I have found that having a tag axle with that extra set of binders really helps though.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas