Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
How fast does your motorhome drop?

I am new to RV's and my used rig is missing most of the manuals. When I hit store on the jacks it feels like I am crashing to the ground. It is a little unsettling. Maybe I am just too green. I know they are HWH, I know they have two huge springs on them, but I do not know what model jacks they are. I sent a email to Tiffin to see if they could tell me what jacks they installed on it. I haven't heard back yet. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem?

Until I figure out the model, so I can get a manual, do you let your air springs fully inflate before you hit store? Should the RV crash to the ground?

2001 Allegro Bus 37TP on 2000 Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 3126B engine

Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I dont have those jacks, but is there not a 'raise' button you use first, then hit the 'store'?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Uber D

Might look at this web site, should be able to help you:

HWH Customer Service

jack
Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_D View Post
I am new to RV's and my used rig is missing most of the manuals. When I hit store on the jacks it feels like I am crashing to the ground. It is a little unsettling. Maybe I am just too green. I know they are HWH, I know they have two huge springs on them, but I do not know what model jacks they are. I sent a email to Tiffin to see if they could tell me what jacks they installed on it. I haven't heard back yet. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem?

Until I figure out the model, so I can get a manual, do you let your air springs fully inflate before you hit store? Should the RV crash to the ground?

2001 Allegro Bus 37TP on 2000 Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 3126B engine
No, if functioning properly the RV should not crash to the ground. Mine takes a good 45 seconds to retract the jacks and get into travel mode. It is very controlled and not harsh. I have an HWH system. While models will differ, the basic function should not -- they should retract under control, smoothly. I sometimes retract without inflating the air bags first. Doesn't seem to make a difference in how the jacks function.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #5

Uber D, remember the jacks are "leveling jacks" and not intended to support the entire weight of the coach(wheels off the ground). IMHO Until you get the correct manuel for your system, I might suggest letting the air system build up before raising your leveling jacks. You need to be careful with the jacks you can twist your coach enough to cause problems slideouts not working properly, damage to the jacks ect.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Uber_D:

As Dave and Jaime described, your jacks should NOT allow your coach to "crash" to the down position. It should be a controlled descent. Get em serviced...pronto!!

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I didn't think it should do that. Does any of you techies know if there is a an adjustment screw on the set-up somewhere?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
After reviewing the control panel again (this time with a picture of it instead of my memory) I went through the HWH site and believe I have a 610 system. I red the the operators manual and there was only trouble shooting for jacks "not" retracting. Nothing on "fast" retracting. I will go throught their support site and submit a request. Of course if anyone has any suggestions as well I am open to it. I will let the board know what I find out.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
After reading through the service manual I think at the least the hose might need to be tightened. Possibly, the velocity valve is not functioning properly. They did not have a section for fast retract, but these are areas you check for slow retract, so maybe the inverse steps will work.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Wink How Fast

First let me say most folks complain because the jacks retract too slowly. You use the term "crash". do you really mean crash or do they just retract quickly? If there is not a sudden stop or bump I would not worry. As to the model number just crawl under the coach and you will fin a number clearly stamped on the cylinder. I suggest !st Dump the air. 2nd level the coach. 3rd let out the slides.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
By crash, on the front it drops to the suspension as soon as the store button is hit. It is a definite drop, not a controlled decent. How hard it hits the suspension depends on how high the levelers were extended. If I use the individual retract buttons instead of the store button the same occurs. I haven't times it but I would say the front jacks go from extended to fully stored in about 5 seconds.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your jacks are hydraulic,, When the "Dump" valve opens and lets them down. They move right along.. This is normal.. Oh, have someone watch from outside from time to time.. If the rig goes bounce, bounce, bounce.. Replace the shocks.

(One bounce is normal by the way)
Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Anyone have the drawings for his system? I wonder if there is suppose to be restrictive orifices in the return lines and they got removed....? Or the dump valve is bad..?

Could be the wrong viscosity of oil too..

Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone mentioned air up the air bags. Chassis should than drop to bags and jacks continue to re-track as coach drops on air bags.
Check the fluid tank for low fluid may have air in lines.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote