Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

How hard is it to move a plumbing vent in the roof???

Hi, well I bought a 1999 Dolphin 5350. It has, had actually, a bank of cabinets down the passenger side past the fridge. I've taken them out in order to install a pair of bunk beds for more kid storage.

All the stuff on the floor is no problem and I can even keep the lower set of drawers for storage. BUT, when I took everything apart I found a vent stack going up a wall between cabinets that is now right smack in the middle of the rear of the bunks.

I could re-route it through the new wall that's will become the new outer wall area for the bunks and just have the tube running along the ceiling, but I think will look really bad even if I paint it brown.

I was thinking of just plumbing it over to the new wall which would move it over about 8" and, GULP, drilling a new hole in the roof and patching the original hole. My plan would be to adhere a piece of 1/4" plywood to the underside of the roof with adhesive that would fully cover the hole, go on the roof and install more plywood to form a level surface. I would then get one of those ever-seal patches and apply it and cover the whole thing with Dicor self-leveling caulk.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or am I out of my tree for even thinking about this?
70gsconvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you have a good handle on it, go for it. Just don't cut through any roof support beams. Drill small hole first and explore.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #3

OK. Say, what year MG-BGT is in your sig? I used to have a 1973 version of it back in the 80's.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
No need to patch the old vent hole on the roof. Just leave the vent cap over the hole and pull the pipe out. Repair or cover ceiling and install the new vent and cover in new wall. No one else will ever know the old vent and new vent issue by outside observation.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use this in my vent line and it works well to keep my tank pressure slightly negative to keep the smell out. If your going to re-route your vent line, you might need this fan to keep the smell out of the RV.

Lil' Stankerâ„¢ In-Line Deodorizer Fans
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Well, I can't just leave the old vent there. I went up there and it has one of those Camco cyclone negative pressure vents. Looks like it has a shark fin on it. Anyway, it's old and cracking. So that was a push to move the vent as I was going to have to replace that anyway. When I opened the wall you could see that moisture has just started to seep in because of the plastic on top being cracked and starting to break away in pieces.

I already bought two new Camco cyclones as the other one didn't look too hot either. Luckily I will be able to just cut the pipe, 90 it over about 6-8" and back up. I only had to buy two elbows and I can salvage the washer/dryer pipe for the move.

I did see a collar at the store for the pipe on top of the roof. Should I get this also or can I just leave the pipe sticking out as long as the hole is a snug fit?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
OK. Say, what year MG-BGT is in your sig? I used to have a 1973 version of it back in the 80's.
It is a 74
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Install a vent kit. You can leave the cap off to install the cyclone to the pipe. The vent kit will allow movement but not compromise sealant.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Install a vent kit. You can leave the cap off to install the cyclone to the pipe. The vent kit will allow movement but not compromise sealant.
I don't know what a vent kit is. Do you have a link to it?

A '74 BGT, and red!?!? That's almost scary. Mine was red also.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Camco Replace All Plumbing Vent Kit, Polar White: ATV, Motorcycle, & RV Accessories : Walmart.com

You will use the bottom section.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #11

Perfect. Thanks.

Tags
plumbing, roof, vent